Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Released

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have 2 on preorder for the wife's birthday. With luck they ship next week.
Happy wife, happy life. :wink:

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Wow, you’re getting her 2 of them?!
She has two E-M1 II bodies. So they will both be replaced. That way she can pick up either and not have to remember the differences between II and III. I will do the likewise for myself later this year for my birthday. Got email that the camera bodies where shipping today. So should get them well before the end of the month.

Arundo Donax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
With in the next few months I'm going to visit my local shop and see and feel it for myself, which means it is very likely that I will buy it. And if I do, it will once again definitely be the last camera I will ever buy, for now.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Did y'all know that you can get the camera for 1599.99 only for getting a trade in quote? You get a code that gives you $200 dollars off. https://usedphotopro.com/quote
Unfortunately no good deals where I am. Even went into my local store today to try and negotiate a deal. No luck so walked out with no pre order. Will have to wait and see what they offer later in the year. Not even any good lens kit deals this time around. EM5.3 and EM1x both have good deals at the moment.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Did y'all know that you can get the camera for 1599.99 only for getting a trade in quote? You get a code that gives you $200 dollars off. https://usedphotopro.com/quote
My dealer said he is required to supply Olympus the model and serial number of the trade in camera to qualify for the $200 off. Are you suggesting that with UPP you only have to get a quote for the trade, not actually supply the camera itself?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My dealer said he is required to supply Olympus the model and serial number of the trade in camera to qualify for the $200 off. Are you suggesting that with UPP you only have to get a quote for the trade, not actually supply the camera itself?
In the past this is what our dealer said as well but with the addition that you did not actually have to hand in your camera, it was only a check that you were a past Oly customer.

But that was a few years ago now. Back then it was a fixed sum whether you gave the serial for an old dud camera or a current model.

Olympus Australia must be really confident with this release since they are not offering any good kits.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In the past this is what our dealer said as well but with the addition that you did not actually have to hand in your camera, it was only a check that you were a past Oly customer.

But that was a few years ago now. Back then it was a fixed sum whether you gave the serial for an old dud camera or a current model.

Olympus Australia must be really confident with this release since they are not offering any good kits.
My dealer needs the actual trade in, in hand. It needs to be a working, digital, interchangeable lens camera body. I bought an old digital Canon Rebel body from KEH for $29 to use as my trade in. I will get a dollar or two as the value for the trade (plus the $200 off). My dealer says he will hold the Rebel for a month or so should Olympus do a store check and than the Rebel goes in the dumpster.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Added a Sony A73 about 15 months ago and have not been using my Olympus gear much at all. But still having some great Oly lenses I am interested in the new EM1 MKIII and drove 2 hours each way this morning to a Olympus "Met the Rep" event at Samy’s Camera in So Cal. Olympus only had 1 EM1 MKIII on hand and there were about 10 people trying to see it. Overall it is almost identical to the MKII and the rep had a 1 page data sheet comparing the 2 bodies with 9 items yellow marked out of 31 as improvements. Her first statement was about the ergonomic improvements and she said a lot of photogs had requested dedicated ISO and EC buttons along with a AF joystick, and that is exactly the reason ( the lack of these controls) that I did not want a MkII years ago and bought the G9, but am looking at the MkIII now.

Did get a couple of my specific questions answered:

1. The built in ND filter. This only works for really slow shutter speeds, like 1/4 sec or slower. If was designed to work with moving water, not portraits. I shoot portraits wide open in bright sun and use ND filters to bring down the the ss to match the fastest flash sync speed, usually 1/250ss, but this will not work with the built in ND. At ND32, or 5 stops, the fastest speed the camera would allow was 2 seconds.

2. Starry AF. The rep said this will work with Live Composite and when I asked about hand held high res she said sure, why wouldn’t it?

3. Olympus still fails to recognize Panasonic lenses with OIS and on-lens aperture rings set to a specific setting, to register with their cameras. When I asked why the 2 “partners” in M4/3 are still doing this, given other camera partnerships that allow for such items to work, and she said it was most likely due to proprietary designs. I mentioned that with my Sony A73, my Voigtlander MF lenses not only provide EXIF data to the camera, but the aperture ring changes register in camera too and the OIS on my Zeiss lenses works in conjunction with the Sony body. This is how Olympus and Panasonic need to cooperate it they intend to succeed.

Overall I liked what I saw and will be placing an order for the new body, selling off my G9 and EM1. The rep confirmed that the customer must provide a working camera body, any manufacturer, to the dealer in order for the $200 trade in discount to work.

Last edited:

memzinla

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I received a code after submitting info of my camera. I’m able to check out with the 200 dollars off. I didn’t do it because with taxes it comes close to 1800. If it was 1599 total maybe I would consider it.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
I received a code after submitting info of my camera. I’m able to check out with the 200 dollars off. I didn’t do it because with taxes it comes close to 1800. If it was 1599 total maybe I would consider it.
Go to B&H website and apply for the Payboo B&H credit card, they pay the tax! Took all of 3 minutes when I applied last month and I got instant approval. But you must pay the purchase off in full by the next statement, which has a 25 day +/- grace period, or some big interest charges occur. B&H has a great website for trade-ins with checkboxes for all accessories, just be honest on the condition and what you are including and you will get an instant quote. They pay for the shipping of the trade-in and they send the new EM1 MKIII via free next day air. In my case I am trading in a 2012 EM5 and getting the $200 discount plus $165 for the camera. My final cost is $1,434 which is very fair to me as I paid $1,425 for my original EM1 back in 2013.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom