Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Released

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Careful with the IR tool, they don't control the amount of light used between cameras so it's pretty much impossible to make low light/high ISO comparisons using their tool. The DPReview tool, while still imperfect, is much better in this regard.
I disagree, about DPR being a good resource, particularly for Olympus images. DPR uses Adobe Camera Raw for all it's raw conversions...and worse yet, most times a Beta version of the Olympus ACR. From my experience Adobe Camera Raw is, at best, a very poor conversion tool for any .orf file, it leaves these wormy Fuji-like artifacts in almost every file. Olympus Workspace is a much better conversion, but DPR will stick with its affinity for ACR. I never recommend that anyone uses DPR for any image comparisons involving Olympus.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I disagree, about DPR being a good resource, particularly for Olympus images. DPR uses Adobe Camera Raw for all it's raw conversions...and worse yet, most times a Beta version of the Olympus ACR. From my experience Adobe Camera Raw is, at best, a very poor conversion tool for any .orf file, it leaves these wormy Fuji-like artifacts in almost every file. Olympus Workspace is a much better conversion, but DPR will stick with its affinity for ACR. I never recommend that anyone uses DPR for any image comparisons involving Olympus.
It sounds like you have the detail slider set too high in your presets. I've always found ACR to do a much better job with Olympus files than any of the official Olympus tools. To be frank, I think Olympus workspace is a piece of garbage. If you're getting wormy artifacts there's something off with your ACR settings.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It sounds like you have the detail slider set too high in your presets. I've always found ACR to do a much better job with Olympus files than any of the official Olympus tools. To be frank, I think Olympus workspace is a piece of garbage. If you're getting wormy artifacts there's something off with your ACR settings.
I think we have had this go around between us a few times in the past. I suggest we will just have to agree to disagree.

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah, for sure neither of them are perfect and the IR tool has its uses. I just wouldn't trust it for any kind of high ISO comparison in particular due to the lighting issues.
Actually I think that at high ISO their results are more trustworthy than at low ISO. Reason is simple. Most of cameras have so little DR at ISO25600 that any larger difference in exposure would be easier to spot as significant over/undersaturation.
Still there is clearly some difference as they are shooting at different settings (1/3200s f/5.6 for Olympus, 1/2500s f/8 for Canon, lighting condition unknown).

Interestingly I found that Canon D90 uses chroma denoising similar to that from Fujifilm cameras and I must say that I'm glad that Olympus has politicy of minimal denoising in RAW files as dedicated RAW editor can do much more precise denoising work than in-camera processing. That's probably the main reason why I can do more with noisy Olympus RAW than with noisy RAW from Canon or Fuji.

But main point is that high ISO of 20Mpix sensor isn't much issue when compared to the APSC cameras.

evilnim

Mu-43 Veteran
It’s interesting. I’m not getting a good feel for how many are keen to upgrade their mk II to a mk III from this thread. As many have said, it’s an incremental update with some nice features but not a ground-breaker...as it’s clearly meant to provide a step up for current EM-1 mk I and II users. Other than my insatiable GAS for which I’ve found no cure, there’s nothing leaping out at me personally to upgrade for what would work out as about £900 with trade in value. I like the idea of starry sky AF because it will make me a better astrophotographer (😂) and live ND because it’ll make me a better seascape photographer (🤣), and a more expensive camera because it will make me a better photographer overall (😭).

Anyway, having said all that, you’ll probably see me in a few weeks on the ‘new EM-1 mk III owners thread’. Will be interested in the actual user reviews when they drop.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It’s interesting. I’m not getting a good feel for how many are keen to upgrade their mk II to a mk III from this thread. As many have said, it’s an incremental update with some nice features but not a ground-breaker...as it’s clearly meant to provide a step up for current EM-1 mk I and II users. Other than my insatiable GAS for which I’ve found no cure, there’s nothing leaping out at me personally to upgrade for what would work out as about £900 with trade in value. I like the idea of starry sky AF because it will make me a better astrophotographer (😂) and live ND because it’ll make me a better seascape photographer (🤣), and a more expensive camera because it will make me a better photographer overall (😭).

Anyway, having said all that, you’ll probably see me in a few weeks on the ‘new EM-1 mk III owners thread’. Will be interested in the actual user reviews when they drop.
(from my original post on Fred Miranda)

Last evening I got my hands in the new E-M1 III at the Olympus Users meeting at our local B&M camera store. Even though I (and my wife, too) had already preordered the camera it was good to be able to get a preview before plunking down the cash.

Briefly, my biggest takeaways were...

The new slightly larger (deeper) grip is really nice and for some reason, my pinkie no longer falls off the bottom, go figure.

I initially thought that the new abbreviated SCP option was simply a cop out to the Canikon DSLR guys, but, it actually does serve a purpose and allows easy adjustment of the main controls for whatever mode you are in, nice touch.

It took about 16 seconds to fall in love with the joy stick focus point (and focus grid) control.

The new Custom Mode (1-4) Hold option is wonderful allowing for on the fly adjustments that won’t revert back to the stored custom settings during the shoot.

I’m sure there are more I’ve not mentioned, sorry.

Oh, and just so I won’t be accused of being an Olympus shill, the one negative I found is that my wife and I won’t get our copies until Monday.

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@gary0319
«abbreviated SCP option».
what does that mean?

edit: and i’m laughing at the fact “on the negative we don’t receive our copies before Monday.”

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
@gary0319
«abbreviated SCP option».
what does that mean?
The Shooting Information screen:
E08FBFB9-4053-45F7-A7B0-D611ECED0DDC.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I haven’t worked out if this is just for displaying info or if it allows for adjustments to the settings like the SCP. Most of the settings shown would be changeable via the default buttons so I’m guessing it’s just a display mode, not an adjustment mode. Any insights @gary0319 ?

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Shooting Information screen:
View attachment 803854
I habent worked out if this is just info or ifit allows for adjustments to the setting like the SCP. Any insights @gary0319 ?
I too thought it was just info, but it turns out to be a bit more. If you are in Aperture Priority on the Mode dial. The aperture is highlighted (F5.6 in the example you gave) and so is the exposure compensation icon and value +/-. If you spin the front back dials to change the aperture or exposure comp. the highlighted values change in the display. This means I don't have to look through the EVF or activate the live view on the LCD to see what I'm changing. Not sure if you could change the values with a touch screen activated or not.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One additional thing...…. and this may be the same as on the E-M1 X

The joystick, in addition to being able to easily reposition the focusing point(s), can also be used to spin through the various focusing grid patterns by using the front dial, super easy. And if you add your own custom developed grid patterns (I think 5 are allowed) these are also in the mix. So, punch the joy stick spin the dial for the right grid and slide it into place.

ibd

Mu-43 Veteran
I wonder if this new abbreviated SCP screen will be also for sleep mode, like Panasonic?
Would be even better if the new E-M1 had an OLED display. It could use a "dark theme" SCP panel and not use a lot of battery that way -- since OLED uses more power for bright pixels than dark ones. Not so with LCDs.

The new slightly larger (deeper) grip is really nice and for some reason, my pinkie no longer falls off the bottom, go figure.
I've got to try this out, this is the thing I found uncomfortable with the EM1.2 :)
It won't necessary work with my hands though.

Anyway there's nothing much new about this camera but all the modifications go in the right direction, so it's seems to be a really nice update.
Small things matter :)
I just don't know why they didn't put a better EVF. And an OLED display :) But no camera is perfect.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Veteran
I have a hard time understanding how the grip could be deeper and longer. The camera dimensions didn't change and visual comparisons of images of each grip show them to be exactly the same. Even the vertical grip hasn't changed. Were you able to determine what visually changed with the grip?

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have a hard time understanding how the grip could be deeper and longer. The camera dimensions didn't change and visual comparisons of images of each grip show them to be exactly the same. Even the vertical grip hasn't changed. Were you able to determine what visually changed with the grip?
The grip is not longer (taller), but it is deeper.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Anyway there's nothing much new about this camera but all the modifications go in the right direction, so it's seems to be a really nice update.
Small things matter :)
If it’s ok to post to ‘the other forum’ here’s a really useful reference of all those small things.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4468131

There are loads of changes and new features which, added together, I expect to make it feel very much like a new camera in use.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If it’s ok to post to ‘the other forum’ here’s a really useful reference of all those small things.

There are loads of changes and new features which, added together, I expect to make it feel very much like a new camera in use.
I have to agree, although the changes may be small the sum of the changes is quiet big to me. Up to the individual if it is worth the upgrade. For someone like me who owns the EM10 MkII this looks really good. Only downside that is not really good kit deals, at least in Australia. [But plenty on the EM1x]

Edit;
Fixed some spelling errors, and reference to wrong camera. [to EM10 MkII]

Last edited:

Yes I even read the user manual :)
I've absolutely no use for this body but I'm tempted anyway.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom