Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Released

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
Guess we finally know which camera Olympus had up its sleeve for Q1 of 2020.

Retailing at $1799 ($200 less than the Mark II was released at)
  • Starry Sky AF
  • Assume improved AF over the Mark II?
  • Extra Custom Mode
  • USB C Port
  • TruPic IX Image processor
  • Same MOS Sensor as II and X
  • 5-Axis Image Stabilization with up to 7.5 Shutter Speed Steps Compensation with Sync-IS
  • Sensor lasts 400,000 (vs 200,000 of the Mark II)

Sure there is more, but that's all I have picked up on for now.

https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/omd/om-d-e-m1-mark-iii.html?utm_content=hdrem1markiii&utm_campaign=2020_02_OPR_US&utm_kxconfid=t5ljhtrz5&utm_source=email_etprm&utm_medium=email&sfmc_sub=204692159

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not as good as just putting new FW on SD. But better than when I'm forced to use someone else's PC to update as Olympus does not support my platform.

Real Name
M@
It looks quite nice. I'm watching Robin Wong's review right now.

But it pisses me off. I bought an E-M5 MkIII on preorder, so I put my money down in November. Barely 3 months later... they now have a camera with a new processor and a USB C port, that can power the camera while it's on.

3 months. Was that enough to massively cannibalize sales of the E-M1MkIII by putting the new hotness processor in the 5MkIII?

So now either we wait for 3+ years for the 5MkIV to get a better processor and USB C... or Olympus brings the 5MkIV out sooner, reducing the lifespan of the MkIII.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
It looks quite nice. I'm watching Robin Wong's review right now.

But it pisses me off. I bought an E-M5 MkIII on preorder, so I put my money down in November. Barely 3 months later... they now have a camera with a new processor and a USB C port, that can power the camera while it's on.

3 months. Was that enough to massively cannibalize sales of the E-M1MkIII by putting the new hotness processor in the 5MkIII?

So now either we wait for 3+ years for the 5MkIV to get a better processor and USB C... or Olympus brings the 5MkIV out sooner, reducing the lifespan of the MkIII.
It's not a new thing that camera release cycles are about this long. If you put money down for a preorder it really is your own mistake. Everyone knew the EM1 was ready for an update. Preordering or buying a camera within the first 3 months of release is so irrational anyways. Unless it has some mega feature that you need on a trip (both cameras have no new mega features) there is just no reason.

The new camera looks quite nice. The upgrade from the Em1mkII is only small and some things (like the EVF) are behind the times, but if I wanted to buy a new camera right now I would buy this one.

Real Name
M@
It's not a new thing that camera release cycles are about this long. If you put money down for a preorder it really is your own mistake. Everyone knew the EM1 was ready for an update. Preordering or buying a camera within the first 3 months of release is so irrational anyways. Unless it has some mega feature that you need on a trip (both cameras have no new mega features) there is just no reason.
I don't think it's much of a mistake on my part, only in that I looked past my misgivings about basically having 3-year-old hardware in a new camera that was then made pretty much obsolete 3 months later. I am not a pro and don't need a pro-sized and pro featured camera. I was never going to get whatever E-M1 came next. I was always going to be interested in the E-M5 line, and it fixes legitimate problems I had with the MkII (C-AF in video, no 4k)

I'm sure I'll still enjoy the 5MkIII, and it does what I need it to but it could have been just that much better with the new processor, and I doubt it would have cost E-M1mkIII sales at all. Shit, all Oly needed to do in that regard was release the 5MkIII and announce that the 1MkIII was coming in a few months. Pros would have found the wait pretty easy.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Looks like an OK incremental release to me, yet to see Australian pricing though.

I don't understand the EVF choice and wish they relocated the tripod mount so the camera can be used with quick release plates without obstructing the battery door. The plates that I use would not work with the Mark II.

Considering the stuff that seems to stick to my sensors if the increased dust reduction works, that alone would be a feature that I would like. It's the little things that count.

ripterr

New to Mu-43
I just preordered on Amazon. The EM1 M3 will pair nicely with my Zuiko 300 for my bird and wildlife imaging and I'll keep my EM5 M3 mounted to the 14-150 for family/portrait work.

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
I'm totally happy with my em1.2.
The only thing that I would like is the updated face and eye AF because mine doesn't seem to know what an eye is.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
You can get an E-M1X for $3700 with a $500 prepaid Visa from DD atm. Much better deal.

I'm pretty underwhelmed. Bit disappointed at the lack of dual UHS II slots and lack of GPS and/or Bluetooth but the latter does take up extra space I guess.

In Australia the 12-45mm pricing is rude too. It's a few hundred more than the 12-40mm f2.8.

Olympus must be bleeding cash.

cyrax83

Mu-43 Regular
Well that is seriously disappointing. Same sensor, EVF and LCD. Just recycled rehashed parts from the MK2 with some software improvements.

Way to go Olympus for showing everyone you are still in the game :wtf:

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
Man people do like to moan and groan for sure. Yeah it doesn’t do your dishes and it’s not a radical rethinking of what MFT has been capable of. But 🤷‍♂️, people need to freaking relax. I get it if you don’t like the EVF, but Panasonic has the same obsessions over old EVF’s, just look at the GX7/GX85/GX9 line. It’s not like the EM1’s EVF sucks. And so what if the sensor is the same, do you need 50 megapixels with 450 phase detect points that can crop at 200% so you can shoot the license plate numbers on cars 2 miles away? The 20 megapixel sensor is totally fine. I can’t wait to see what they come up with next, but if you *need* to be able to make 20x40 foot prints, go buy a Sony or Hasselblad. Olympus does need to make the money back on their R and D with the current gen sensor and have time to develop the new one.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
Man people do like to moan and groan for sure. Yeah it doesn’t do your dishes and it’s not a radical rethinking of what MFT has been capable of. But 🤷‍♂️, people need to freaking relax. I get it if you don’t like the EVF, but Panasonic has the same obsessions over old EVF’s, just look at the GX7/GX85/GX9 line. It’s not like the EM1’s EVF sucks. And so what if the sensor is the same, do you need 50 megapixels with 450 phase detect points that can crop at 200% so you can shoot the license plate numbers on cars 2 miles away? The 20 megapixel sensor is totally fine. I can’t wait to see what they come up with next, but if you *need* to be able to make 20x40 foot prints, go buy a Sony or Hasselblad. Olympus does need to make the money back on their R and D with the current gen sensor and have time to develop the new one.
I agree. I'm perfectly happy with the sensor and general camera performance. I'd hoped a couple more E-M1X features would've made their way into the E-M1 mk III. Lack of dual UHS-II slots is a bit disappointing TBH

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
I agree. I'm perfectly happy with the sensor and general camera performance. I'd hoped a couple more E-M1X features would've made their way into the E-M1 mk III. Lack of dual UHS-II slots is a bit disappointing TBH
Yeah I get people wanting some features or personal wishlist stuff. But people saying they wanted a D6 in a MFT body (in so many words) are smoking too much of the good stuff

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well that is seriously disappointing. Same sensor, EVF and LCD. Just recycled rehashed parts from the MK2 with some software improvements.

Way to go Olympus for showing everyone you are still in the game :wtf:
Disappointment implies you were expecting more. I honestly don't see how any of us could. Modest incrementalism is king, and when you consider the X you had to know that Oly couldn't do too much with the MK3.

I'm a broken record on this, but I really think Oly needs better focus and segmentation. Have one "pro" DSLR-style camera. High end features and price, for those who can and will spend the cash for birding/wildlife and sports. Cram as many of those features as possible into a high end super-stylish compact option (yeah, the F) so you give the well-heeled something else to buy.

But really focus on the smaller bodies and lenses. Still a key point of differentiation for the format. Mashup the E-M5 and 10 lines in to one option, and bring along the E-PL line as well. Update the 1.8 primes (WR, at least). Try to come up with a reasonably priced zoom somewhere between the 14-42 options and the 12-40.

Consumer options: E-M5/10; E-PL; 17, 25, 45, 75/1.8; consumer 12-40; 14-150; 75-300. None of those lenses, except the 75, should cost more than $350. And keep a 14-42 and 40-150 as <$100 bargain options. Maybe try to market the previous gen bodies with the cheap 2-zoom kits to better compete with low end Canon and Nikon stuff.

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’m very happy with Olympus and think this is an ok upgrade. However, when you look at it from a competitive standpoint I’m not sure they are doing enough. Fujifilm has the same or better AF, much better EVF, Better sensor, dual slot UHS-11, 4K 60, and is $1700 with kit lens. AND the xt4 is about to be announced with rumored IBIS. This camera is roughly the same size with their small weather sealed primes and 2.8-4 zooms.
Those of us shooting Olympus know and love the camera but those unfamiliar with the system would struggle to buy into Oly when compared to competition. Oly HAS to keep up.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom