Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Image Thread

Qwntm

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Edward
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The old willow in the backyard.

rkboid

Mu-43 Rookie
Had an Em-1 in the past, but like a lot of people I was bitten by the FF bug. Anyway back with an Olympus.

Qwntm

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Edward
Had an Em-1 in the past, but like a lot of people I was bitten by the FF bug. Anyway back with an Olympus. View attachment 821522View attachment 821523View attachment 821524
As an old medium and large format film shooter, and chasing digital IQ since 2004, it's been a psychological struggle to totally embrace m43. HHHR is the mental crutch I've needed to finally commit. And Ironically, I probably won't use it that much because it's really not needed, m43 has always been enough. As Peter Forsgard says, we have achieved sufficiency. :)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
As an old medium and large format film shooter, and chasing digital IQ since 2004, it's been a psychological struggle to totally embrace m43. HHHR is the mental crutch I've needed to finally commit. And Ironically, I probably won't use it that much because it's really not needed, m43 has always been enough. As Peter Forsgard says, we have achieved sufficiency. :)
Understandably, I like HHHR for extra legroom for editing the RAW files or when high ISO on still subjects. But also for long term usage, like having more pixels for 20-30 years down the line when screens improved a lot more or I need printing big.

Real Name
Jeffrey Behr
Understandably, I like HHHR for extra legroom for editing the RAW files or when high ISO on still subjects. But also for long term usage, like having more pixels for 20-30 years down the line when screens improved a lot more or I need printing big.
Speaking of HHHR, here are three I shot Saturday nite. Pls be easy on me since nitetime fotografy is new to me. All HHHRs.
2020May09_GasRegulator_5090575_1500w.jpg
2020May09_Smelly Dog_5090582_1500w.jpg
2020May09_Urgent Care_5090571_1500w.jpg

Generally I'm rather shaky with a camera due to a lot of physical traits and ailments, but holding steady enough for long enough seemed to be easy that nite.. The wind was blowing a good bit, too. I've posted 100% crops of these on my flicker page. Two of them are actually TIFs! 🙂
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/with/48613929336/

Qwntm

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Edward
Speaking of HHHR, here are three I shot Saturday nite. Pls be easy on me since nitetime fotografy is new to me. All HHHRs.
View attachment 821988View attachment 821989View attachment 821990

Generally I'm rather shaky with a camera due to a lot of physical traits and ailments, but holding steady enough for long enough seemed to be easy that nite.. The wind was blowing a good bit, too. I've posted 100% crops of these on my flicker page. Two of them are actually TIFs! 🙂
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/with/48613929336/
10 years ago, that level of image quality would have been quite outstanding taken with a tripod... These cameras are truly miraculous in what they are capable of.

Vivalo

Olympus loser
This camera is maybe a stop better in low light than my previous camera E-M5 mk2. This is a screenshot from Capture One with my import setting applied and zoomed 100%.

Edit: actually I've raised the exposure in post by 0,16 as you can see from the sliders

ISO3200.jpg

apete

Mu-43 Regular
I have just switched from Panasonic G9. So far so good, I think we are gonna love each other.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
This camera is maybe a stop better in low light than my previous camera E-M5 mk2. This is a screenshot from Capture One with my import setting applied and zoomed 100%.

Edit: actually I've raised the exposure in post by 0,16 as you can see from the sliders

View attachment 826659
I still haven't braved on to take Capture One, have about 3 weeks of free trial left. Took me a lot of years to get comfortable with Lightroom and looking at alternatives like Capture Pro (20£ is more expensive than the 9£ for Lightroom and Photoshop) or Luminar (at least it's cheaper).

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
I have just switched from Panasonic G9. So far so good, I think we are gonna love each other.

View attachment 826675
I was tempted by Panasonic G9 so many times ... until Olympus put HHHR in an E-M1 body and added Live ND as a cherry on top. My sudden fall in love with wildlife photography 2 years ago kind of made it hard to choose the G9 even though I loved AND used Panasonic bodies from 2010 to 2017 (but it was really the E-M1 Mark I I got in 2018 that really made me fall for Olympus really)

Vivalo

Olympus loser
I still haven't braved on to take Capture One, have about 3 weeks of free trial left. Took me a lot of years to get comfortable with Lightroom and looking at alternatives like Capture Pro (20£ is more expensive than the 9£ for Lightroom and Photoshop) or Luminar (at least it's cheaper).
Fortunately you can buy a one-time payment licence for Capture One. I know it is quite pricey at 349€ but they have sales now and then. Personally I made the switch from LR to C1 when they had a Cyber Monday sale and I managed to buy it at 240€. At that price the software will be cheaper option in under 2 years compared to LR CC. And I think C1 is the better product. Only two things that I miss from LR are the HDR and panorama merge features.

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Fortunately you can buy a one-time payment licence for Capture One. I know it is quite pricey at 349€ but they have sales now and then. Personally I made the switch from LR to C1 when they had a Cyber Monday sale and I managed to buy it at 240€. At that price the software will be cheaper option in under 2 years compared to LR CC. And I think C1 is the better product. Only two things that I miss from LR are the HDR and panorama merge features.
I use panorama merge a lot, even more in Lightroom then Photoshop because of the convenience. The only thing that pisses me off about Adobe is a minimum 12 months contract (with penalty if you want to quite early) and the still slow updates and progress on Lightroom (especially performance-wise)

Last edited:

apete

Mu-43 Regular
Any challenges going from the G9 to the E-M1?
My thoughts after first two shooting days:
  • EVF: reading so many negative comments on the web I was worried about resolution and gray blacks. But to be honest I do not see any major difference. While the blacks may not be that black, for now it does not bother me. As for the EVF resolution, I do see no difference at all. Time to see optometrist? :eek-31:
  • RAW files: I like some 15% smaller picture files. ORFs are 17-22MB vs RW2 are 24MB. I bet the smaller Olympus file size is due to Olympus lossless compression vs uncompressed Panasonic RAW data.
  • play button: it is much faster to display the first JPG on the Olympus. I am using the same Sandisk UHS-I 170MB/s read cards.
  • Capture One workflow: for EM1.3 the Olympus lens profiles are applied automatically on picture opening; for Panasonic G9 I had to manually select the Olympus lens profile to apply it. My speculation is that Phase One prepares Olympus lens profiles using Olympus bodies and Panasonic lens profiles using Panasonic bodies. They do not want to apply the lens profiles automatically if the body is of different company, even if they are using the same mount. The open question is why (again: this is pure speculation).
  • level gauge: I like the Olympus style more as the Panasonic one is too distracting for me. BTW my friend once described the Panasonic gauge as "like a flight simulator".
  • EXIF: it is a curiosity to have distance included in the picture metadata.
  • dials: I love the Olympus front and rear dials, they are soooo much better. It is about the clicking style, feel and resistance.
  • mechanical shutter: I like the mechanical shutter sound better, I would describe it as "more soft" and "satisfactory". Please do not call me crazy for that ;)
  • AF joystick: 8 directions is a bonus in contrast with 4 directions on the G9, though I have not had many occasions to fully use that as I was not shooting sport yet
  • quick access to AF, exposure metering, etc via the buttons that are located over the ON/OFF lever: I like it very much. But I must admit it will take some time to muscle memory which of these you then change by up/down and which by left/right.
  • ND filter: makes miracles in conjunction with Olympus stabilization and 12-100. One of the features to love.
Muscle memory:
  • my thumb is constantly looking for AF joystick in the place it is in the G9. I wonder how much time I need to learn the new joystick location :blush:
  • I keep on starting movie recording accidentaly as the red dot record button is located in the place where there is an exposure button on the G9.
Weird things:
  • ON/OFF lever: being the guy who moved to M43 from Pentax cameras that externally were pretty similar to G9, my initial opinion about the ON/OFF is: :wtf:
  • menu item descriptions: I literally spent 10 minutes scrolling all the menus, each page, each subpage and from top to bottom three times at least, trying to find an option to disable the descriptions. Finally I pressed INFO button and voilea it is done :doh:
  • I never needed to lock the dial mode on the Panasonic G9, as it never moved accidentaly to another position without my intention. In Olympus it happened during my first hike. Since it has never happened before, I panicked that the camera got broken and was having exposure problems... :laugh1:
What I definitely preferred about G9:
  • Panasonic charger was 50% smaller and had a USB charger included. I could use it with any USB charger and my mobile USB cable.
  • AF joystick (apart from 4 directions only): I am unable to explain why but it was just more comfortable, and I am not speaking abouth the joystick location but about the feeling.
Finally to not to be off topic, I am attaching my first ND filter test.

P5300241.jpg

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
level gauge: I like the Olympus style more as the Panasonic one is too distracting for me. BTW my friend once described the Panasonic gauge as "like a flight simulator".
The first time I turned it on, it made me think of the old old old video game, Top Gun, on....Commodore 64.

Thanks for the very detailed breakdown.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
  • Panasonic charger was 50% smaller and had a USB charger included. I could use it with any USB charger and my mobile USB cable.
Good write up. I have to point out though that the E-M1 Mark III has in camera usb charging and can be powered from a power bank, both through a standard usb-c cable. An external charger therefore isn’t necessarily required.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
My thoughts after first two shooting days:
  • EVF: reading so many negative comments on the web I was worried about resolution and gray blacks. But to be honest I do not see any major difference. While the blacks may not be that black, for now it does not bother me. As for the EVF resolution, I do see no difference at all. Time to see optometrist? :eek-31:
  • RAW files: I like some 15% smaller picture files. ORFs are 17-22MB vs RW2 are 24MB. I bet the smaller Olympus file size is due to Olympus lossless compression vs uncompressed Panasonic RAW data.
  • play button: it is much faster to display the first JPG on the Olympus. I am using the same Sandisk UHS-I 170MB/s read cards.
  • Capture One workflow: for EM1.3 the Olympus lens profiles are applied automatically on picture opening; for Panasonic G9 I had to manually select the Olympus lens profile to apply it. My speculation is that Phase One prepares Olympus lens profiles using Olympus bodies and Panasonic lens profiles using Panasonic bodies. They do not want to apply the lens profiles automatically if the body is of different company, even if they are using the same mount. The open question is why (again: this is pure speculation).
  • level gauge: I like the Olympus style more as the Panasonic one is too distracting for me. BTW my friend once described the Panasonic gauge as "like a flight simulator".
  • EXIF: it is a curiosity to have distance included in the picture metadata.
  • dials: I love the Olympus front and rear dials, they are soooo much better. It is about the clicking style, feel and resistance.
  • mechanical shutter: I like the mechanical shutter sound better, I would describe it as "more soft" and "satisfactory". Please do not call me crazy for that ;)
  • AF joystick: 8 directions is a bonus in contrast with 4 directions on G9, though I have not had many occasions to fully use that as I was not shooting sport yet
  • quick access to AF, exposure, etc via the buttons that are located over the ON/OFF lever: I like it very much. But I must admit it will take some time to muscle memory which of these you then change by up/down and which by left/right.
  • ND filter: makes miracles in conjunction with Olympus stabilization and 12-100. One of the features to love.
Muscle memory:
  • my thumb is constantly looking for AF joystick in the place it is in the G9. I wonder how much time I need to learn the new joystick location :blush:
  • I keep on starting movie recording accidentaly as the red dot record button is located in the place where there is an exposure button on the G9.
Weird things:
  • ON/OFF lever: being the guy who moved to M43 from Pentax cameras that externally were pretty similar to G9, my initial opinion about the ON/OFF is: :wtf:
  • menu item descriptions: I literally spent 10 minutes scrolling all the menus, each page, each subpage and from top to bottom three times at least, trying to find an option to disable the descriptions. Finally I pressed INFO button and voilea it is done :doh:
  • I never needed to lock the dial mode on the Panasonic G9, as it never moved accidentaly to another position without my intention. In Olympus it happened during my first hike. Since it has never happened before, I panicked that the camera got broken and was having exposure problems... :laugh1:
What I definitely preferred about G9:
  • AF joystick (apart from 4 directions only): I am unable to explain why but it was just more comfortable, and I am not speaking abouth the joystick location but about the feeling.
Finally to not to be off topic, I am attaching my first ND filter test.

View attachment 827242
Very interesting read, the differences don't seem to be all that big, at least for your case, mostly resolvable with practice.
*Another advantage of smaller RAW files is quicker write speeds and a bit longer bursts (though the camera does deserve UHS-II).
*I never noticed distance data in the ORF files ... actually I never knew they do that, I always liked and wanted to have the AF distance calculation straight into the EVF the way Sony does.
*You are not crazy, the E-M1 Mark II, III as well as E-M5 Mark II and III have very quiet and dampened shutter mechanism, in single-shot, I can barely hear it and even in Low burst with EFC is extremely quiet. But it doesn't get louder high maximum burst speed (though still very quiet). My Panasonic GX7 sounded AND felt like being bi*%& slapped by R2D2 every time I was making a picture.
*I'm finding the AF stick mostly useless for me as I don't stray away from center AF point (I don't know why that is). The stick does feel a bit too short and the traveling distance to get a feedback confirmation when using it feels a bit too heavy. Maybe it loosens up with time but if I'm not using it probably not really?
*Even since using the E-M1 Mark I I haven't been using the buttons on top of the ON/OFF switch because the Olympus SCP is so well done and useful.
*The ON/OFF switch was a letdown when moving from the Panny GX7, Olympus has been sticking with their left side design since the OM SLRs and I don't see them changing anytime soon ... I would have loved a right-hand switch for one hand turn ON operations (I always loved that about the GX7, especially doing street images).
*The E-M1 Mark III does charge the battery in-camera through USB-C cable (most common type of cable these days) and can do it with little rinky dinky 10W phone chargers, but that's very slow (around 4 to 5 hours). I don't have a faster charger to test it if it's quicker on laptop level of USB-C chargers. The camera can operate on power bank BUT ONLY WITH ONE SPECIFIC power bank because it needs a specific voltage to charge and operate at the same time (I can drop the link to the power bank if you are interested), any other power banks will keep the camera off and charge the battery instead and cut the charging off if you try turning on the camera.
*If you don't run and gun videos you can always change the function of the Video Record button (I set it to C4 mode set up for birds in flight when I chance upon birds flying, some Kestrels and Magpies show up out of nowhere on this side of the world). But the fun part of Olympus is most of the buttons have almost no limitation of what functions you can assign to them so it's easy to configure it the way you want ... the hard part is figuring out how you want it to be (and what took me a long time to adjust to Olympus cameras).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom