Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Image Thread

memzinla

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I can't believe I'm starting it. I'm actually impressed with the HHHR shots! I'm not good at all the technical comparisons. It's just two shots of a teddy bear. One with HHHR and without HHHR.

I notice a blue dot close to the left hand of the teddy bear by the wall. I wonder what that is?

P3051255 by Guillermo Moreno, on Flickr

P3051256 by Guillermo Moreno, on Flickr

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
I am finally getting to review the images of the E-M1 Mark III (I am working in the caring system in the UK and the job is keeping busier than I would have preferred). The IQ out of the 20 MP sensor keeps blowing my socks off (compared to the 2nd generation 16 MP sensor) and even more impressive is the crazy good IQ I am getting from the HHHR images in both details, dynamic range, color rendition and noise. For me, the improvements feel like going from the 1st generation 12 MP sensor (of the mirrorless version) to the 1 and 2nd generation 16 MP sensor.

Though I am noticing an unexpected side effect of HHHR output and I need to test it to fully confirm it. At the moment it seems that at certain upper ISO range the HHHR files are compressing the shadow and highlight ends of the image into the mid-tone range and there is very little that can be recovered. I will try in the next couple of days to test HHHR throughout 1 spot ISO increments during daylight and nightlight to properly confirm this.

I will drop 2 screenshots of Before/After Lightroom edits on these HHR files, I know they are not proper IQ representation but I am swamped by work at the moment, sorry:
1585193651292.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I never expected the stars to show up in the sky but 16 images at 0.7 sec evidently stacked up all of that date in the shadows (I had to crush the black in the sky to keep the star's lightspots and turn the depp blue of city lights into the black of night).
100% Crop at the near centre:
1585193771838.png

There is a lot of details in the brickwork and teh cracking of the white paint. I have noticed that to bring the details out of these 50 MP images I need to push +100 Sharpening at 1.5 Radius and +50 Detail. The highlights are pretty well preserved and looks about 1 to 1.5 stops before the white turns into gray with no colour information in it. The shadows are more dependent on the ISO then the highlights on how much is recoverable/pushable (1 stop at high ISO to 2.5 stops on the base ISO I'm guessing).

1585193929550.png

100% Crop on the upper side of the frame:
1585194127733.png

The Dynamic Range has preserved the small smearing from rain and weathering of the paint on the refregeration unit (the gray verticle streaks on the middle, bottom, and corner of the unit), the details on the bricks and the moss is amazing as well.

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am finally getting to review the images of the E-M1 Mark III (I am working in the caring system in the UK and the job is keeping busier than I would have preferred). The IQ out of the 20 MP sensor keeps blowing my socks off (compared to the 2nd generation 16 MP sensor) and even more impressive is the crazy good IQ I am getting from the HHHR images in both details, dynamic range, color rendition and noise. For me, the improvements feel like going from the 1st generation 12 MP sensor (of the mirrorless version) to the 1 and 2nd generation 16 MP sensor.

Though I am noticing an unexpected side effect of HHHR output and I need to test it to fully confirm it. At the moment it seems that at certain upper ISO range the HHHR files are compressing the shadow and highlight ends of the image into the mid-tone range and there is very little that can be recovered. I will try in the next couple of days to test HHHR throughout 1 spot ISO increments during daylight and nightlight to properly confirm this.

I will drop 2 screenshots of Before/After Lightroom edits on these HHR files, I know they are not proper IQ representation but I am swamped by work at the moment, sorry:
View attachment 810013
I never expected the stars to show up in the sky but 16 images at 0.7 sec evidently stacked up all of that date in the shadows (I had to crush the black in the sky to keep the star's lightspots and turn the depp blue of city lights into the black of night).
100% Crop at the near centre:
View attachment 810014
There is a lot of details in the brickwork and teh cracking of the white paint. I have noticed that to bring the details out of these 50 MP images I need to push +100 Sharpening at 1.5 Radius and +50 Detail. The highlights are pretty well preserved and looks about 1 to 1.5 stops before the white turns into gray with no colour information in it. The shadows are more dependent on the ISO then the highlights on how much is recoverable/pushable (1 stop at high ISO to 2.5 stops on the base ISO I'm guessing).

View attachment 810015
100% Crop on the upper side of the frame:
View attachment 810016
The Dynamic Range has preserved the small smearing from rain and weathering of the paint on the refregeration unit (the gray verticle streaks on the middle, bottom, and corner of the unit), the details on the bricks and the moss is amazing as well.
I was not even going to try the HHHR but you now have me interested, I will have to give it a go one day

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
I am tested in 3 different scenarios the Dynamic Range at ISO L64, L100, 200, 400, 800, 1.600, 3.200, 6.400, with both Matrix and Spot metering, f 5.6 and f 8 (no relevance except for dragging the shutter down to not clip too hard the highlights at ISO 6.400):

Now I know that a histogram is not that much information to go by but it's the easiest to show side by side the literal information that is in the images. Taking into account the slight atmospheric variations that are between each image (as an image takes about 10-20 seconds to fully process) and the nature of Hand Held High Resolution (so no image is 100% identically framed each time), there is very little variation in the information on the histograms. A bit of blue channel difference, possibly from the sun changing the amount of shadows being cast (the sky was pure blue with no clouds). At ISO L64 and L100 the differences are from the software pulling the data to be squeezed in the middle, I would use them only if I need to drag the shutter speed or the aperture value.

The only things I did to the RAW files is to pull the shadows to +100 and drag the highlights to -100. On the other 3 tests, I have not seen the Shadow or Highlights control affecting the ENTIRE histogram but only their respective regions as it should be. Need to test again on night scenes.

One more thing I have noticed. I don't remember where exactly but I kept reading that HHHR works only at f 8 and cannot be open wider than that:

At f 2.8

At f 8

Real Name
Dave Cherry
Our new little guy, Sunshine. Our beloved Rider passed away in January, way too young at 8 yrs old. Cancer of the spleen. This guy will be much bigger than him, it looks like.

Our little Malti-poo watches over her new BFF.

Real Name
Dave Cherry
I am guessing that the first shot is the HHHR shot (it is a bit softer). Is that correct?
No--more like the 'HH dog won't hold still in low light shot'. Aren't you glad I didn't use an acronym and make you guess?:wink:

Sometimes I soften a bit in LR also, but I think this is mostly slow shutter speed, restless puppy.

Edit: Oops! In the early morning fog I thought you were responding to me. Sorry.

Real Name
Jeffrey Behr
I have found HHHR mode to be excellent in my meanderings about the landscape while avoiding people; there's a definite increase in resolution and decrease in noise.. HHHR is now my default shooting mode.

And yes, there's more motion blur in windy situations, and I like that. :D

Switched my main Lumix G9 to an E-M1 III. One of the features I love most in their bodies is Live Composite.

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
HHHR is now my default shooting mode.
Very nice photos. Do you have any raw images you are willing to post for download? I have been curious as to how sharp the HHHR raw photos are and how well apps like PhotoLab process them.

Are those photos cropped? Or are they as shot?

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Very nice photos. Do you have any raw images you are willing to post for download? I have been curious as to how sharp the HHHR raw photos are and how well apps like PhotoLab process them.

I have been shooting a lot of HHHR images in night and day shots, from f 2.8 to f 8, shutter speeds from 1/4000 to 6 seconds (for each of the 16 images). I can and want to share the RAW files here after I finish my night shift (to get home and use WiFi to upload them, it's about 30 to 50 MB per image and it's too much for limited 4G coverage).

Real Name
Jeffrey Behr

1. TY.
2. I'm willing to share a raw, but evey time I 'learn' to use DropBox, I then forget it...and now I can't find it on my computer. (Since it's a paid app, probably it disappeared when I didn't pay the fee.). The unadulterated raws are a good-bit soft and require--and tolerate--more Smart Sharpening than the standard 5120-pixel images.. I'm currently using about 180 Amount, 1.9 Radius, and zero Reduce Noise.
3. The bottoms and tops are cropped to achieve a 3:2 ratio, but they're not cropped to be narrower.
4. No, thye're not 'as shot'; they're developed in ACR to my taste...mostly reLeveling.

Did a Live Composite of my Lumix G9, before I sell it.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Sorry, I could not log into the Mu4/3 website for the past 2 days and I had the files uploaded and ready for sharing for you guys:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AksBB2IBTehLhJEIxEnP1t8xNkxLDw?e=5f4HdA

I will try to keep the link alive as long as I can. I tried to give a variety of cases for the HHHR images, focused from MFD to infinity, on Olympus 12-40mm f 2.8 PRo and Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4, from f 2.8 to f 8, ISO 64 to ISO 6.400, day and night shots, shutter speeds from 6 seconds to 1/8.000 sec. I hope that someone finds them useful/helpful in some way. From my experience so far the HHHR mode is my default mode when I am looking for landscape images or very still subjects. I only wish I could set different functions per lens on the L-Fn button (like on Pro 7-14mm to Live ND and Pro 12-40mm to HHHR, and in the future for Pro 40-150mm and 150-400mm to AF Limiter).

Real Name
Dave Cherry
Sunshine in the snow. Our pup, Sunshine will be 12 weeks on Friday. I think he likes the snow. We had a spring storm today, got about 6 inches.
P4130122.jpg

Real Name
Dave Cherry
Well, no one else is posting here, and since I've nothing better to do, here's some more shots of Sunshine.

Qwntm

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Edward
3ETM0048.jpg

Had a bit of weather yesterday. First time converting using Olympus workspace.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom