Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II Image Thread

Him-ch

Mu-43 Regular

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II +the 12-40 2.8 Zoom.

On the London Brighton Veteran 'car' run of 2018. I panned this one a little but with a very slow shutter speed. Really pleased with the result.

Last edited:

Him-ch

Mu-43 Regular
image.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

moonraker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Nigel
31223398887_85777b327b_b.jpg

John Simpson

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John Simpson
From my first all-Olympus studio session a couple of weeks ago. I really do think that it might be 'goodbye Nikon'.

rosie lea 24.jpg

Oly em1 mk2 75mm f1.8 One gridded softbox + 7" reflector on hairlight + wind machine. Processed with CaptureOnePro and Affinity Photo.

DennyVanNostrand

Mu-43 Veteran
From my first all-Olympus studio session a couple of weeks ago. I really do think that it might be 'goodbye Nikon'.

View attachment 701236

Oly em1 mk2 75mm f1.8 One gridded softbox + 7" reflector on hairlight + wind machine. Processed with CaptureOnePro and Affinity Photo.

Nice job. I would be curious to hear your opinion after doing some full length shots. This area is where I struggled with the EM1 Mkii. Love it everywhere else though.

Denny

Troiks

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andrew
2018 calendar-17.jpg

Troiks

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andrew
2018 calendar-15.jpg

John Simpson

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John Simpson
Nice job. I would be curious to hear your opinion after doing some full length shots. This area is where I struggled with the EM1 Mkii. Love it everywhere else though.

Denny
Hi Denny, sorry for late reply. not sure what you mean regarding 'struggling with full length' ..... do you mean focal length or lighting issues? Here's one with single light using 12-40 f2.8 pro but given a bit more room would use a 45mm if possible. Happy to help if can.

Attachments

• CB7158EA-9E0A-4499-8F32-7D73CBED39DA.jpeg
    CB7158EA-9E0A-4499-8F32-7D73CBED39DA.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 201

TomasT

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tomas Titak
I think he meant full body length on photo, not head and shoulders.

Very nice photo, i love this forum always inspired.

DennyVanNostrand

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi Denny, sorry for late reply. not sure what you mean regarding 'struggling with full length' ..... do you mean focal length or lighting issues? Here's one with single light using 12-40 f2.8 pro but given a bit more room would use a 45mm if possible. Happy to help if can.

Thanks for the reply. Have you ever seen a guy ride a bike backwards? It's called backpedaling, and I'm doin it. :) No but seriously I have found some things that fixed the issue for me.

I took a bunch of full length shots last year of a model/friend and just wasn't happy with the EM1 Mkii in that setting. It was the first time I have used the Oly for full length portrait/fashion.
I use a Sekonic L-478DR-U light meter and Profoto D1 air 500 strobes. I had been using a Nikon D810 and wanted to see how the Oly compared. I measured the light as I always do and took some shots and they looked over exposed on the camera display. I made an adjustment to the lighting and shot the whole set only to find they were underexposed. I adjusted them in Lightroom and they just didn't look sharp and clean. I've never used noise reduction for this kind of photography as the D810 doesn't need it. Lightroom adds some sharpness as a default so I never needed to adjust that either. After purchasing the EM1 Mkii, I have experimented with noise reduction and sharpening. So anyway, I recently went back and looked at some high key shots I did last year. I used a Mathews translucent silk 10'X10' with a 7 foot umbrella behind it and typical lighting in front. The exposure was a tad low so I adjusted it. I simply applied sharpening and noise reduction plus the X-Rite color checker stuff and boom it was gorgeous. Super sharp and clean head to toe. The sharpening and noise reduction adjustments made a huge difference. The other takeaway is trust the light meter. Also the EM1 Mkii has really good dynamic range on the highlight side. Expose to the right.

I shoot it in the studio at least as much as the D810 now. As a side note on M43 with strobes. I can shoot F4 and set my strobes/speedlights at a lower output saving flash tubes/batteries and still get F8 depth of field. On top of that, I might shoot hundreds of shots in one session and hand holding the D810 with a F2.8 zoom is miserable. Not so with the Oly.

So anyway, I take it back. Sorry Olympus. I wronged you.
All is good in the land of Oly.
Denny

John Simpson

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John Simpson
Hi Denny. Actually you raise an interesting point there. I used to have Bowens studio flash - replaced a year or so ago with Godox-branded 400 and 600 units. With the Nikon D810, like you, my sweetspot was around f8. Since moving to Oly the lights are now just too dammed bright, I can't turn them down enough to get the aperture wide enough for a thin DOF. Consequently I find that more and more I'm now doing studio stuff with speedlights and the mains units are left in the case. OK, I know I 'could put ND on' but to be honest that's not a good solution for me.

DennyVanNostrand

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi Denny. Actually you raise an interesting point there. I used to have Bowens studio flash - replaced a year or so ago with Godox-branded 400 and 600 units. With the Nikon D810, like you, my sweetspot was around f8. Since moving to Oly the lights are now just too dammed bright, I can't turn them down enough to get the aperture wide enough for a thin DOF. Consequently I find that more and more I'm now doing studio stuff with speedlights and the mains units are left in the case. OK, I know I 'could put ND on' but to be honest that's not a good solution for me.

Hi John, I agree and have experienced similar things. One lighting arrangement I use is a Profofo Rfi 3x4 softbox with a Mathews translucent silk hanging in front of it. It produces a really soft light. With the D810 at f8 the strobe (a Profoto D1 air 500) is at almost full power. With the Oly, it's nowhere near full power. Location shooting with speedlights is where the M43 can really shine. Also on the issue of megapixels, I can simply do a two shot panorama in the studio and get similar or slightly more than the D810 and print huge.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Back on January we spent a week on a houseboat and one night had the most amazing electrical storm, went on for at least 4 hrs, sadly i came away with next to no images from the night though not because we didn't try.....
Shooting from a moving house boat leads to all sorts of motion blur.
The real stuff up came after we had the anchor drag and i knocked the focus completely out and didn't notice, and every image for the next two hours was out of focus :(
46751823455_ae9e7bea23_o.jpg
_1174556 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr

Latest threads

Top Bottom