Olympus OM-D E-M1 Level feature design error?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Growltiger, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    I like the level feature so I can be sure I am holding the camera level. But I found I had trouble knowing instinctively which way to tilt the camera. Now I've realised why - the camera design is illogical.

If the camera is tilted to the left the bar is to the right. So if the bar is to the right you should tilt the camera to the right. i.e. the SAME way.

If the camera is aimed down, the bar is downward. So if the bar is downward you should aim the camera upward. i.e. the OPPOSITE way.

Is there any way to correct this?

Is there a way I can learn to think of it that will make it seem logical?
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It works like a real spirit level. If you tilt to the left, the bubble rises to the right.
  3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    But what about the up/down working the opposite way?
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Think of it as the spirit level is glued ontop of the hotshoe...
  5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    It works correctly but I find its implementation very counterintuitive. Sony and Panasonic have much more intuitive levels - for my eye and brain.
  6. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    just line it up with the frame
  7. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I'm sure if they wanted to they could probably offer an option to swap that feature "direction" much like they do with the focus ring direction...

I think my 7D was just as bad though...
  8. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    As a long time bubble level user, I still fight with the level on my E-M10. I also turn the knobs and focus the wrong way all the time. I know I can change the knobs and focus, but it would probably further confuse me.
  9. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I've put a little hot-shoe cover/bubble level on the E-M1 which comes in handy when "shooting from the hip".
  10. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I found it a bit counterintuitive at first as well. I just trained my brain to tilt in the direction of the dots to straighten it out. That mental leap fixed it for me.