Olympus OM-D E-M1 Level feature design error?

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
I like the level feature so I can be sure I am holding the camera level. But I found I had trouble knowing instinctively which way to tilt the camera. Now I've realised why - the camera design is illogical.

If the camera is tilted to the left the bar is to the right. So if the bar is to the right you should tilt the camera to the right. i.e. the SAME way.

If the camera is aimed down, the bar is downward. So if the bar is downward you should aim the camera upward. i.e. the OPPOSITE way.

Is there any way to correct this?

Is there a way I can learn to think of it that will make it seem logical?

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
It works correctly but I find its implementation very counterintuitive. Sony and Panasonic have much more intuitive levels - for my eye and brain.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Frank
I'm sure if they wanted to they could probably offer an option to swap that feature "direction" much like they do with the focus ring direction...

I think my 7D was just as bad though...

Real Name
What Is Real Anyway?
As a long time bubble level user, I still fight with the level on my E-M10. I also turn the knobs and focus the wrong way all the time. I know I can change the knobs and focus, but it would probably further confuse me.

beameup

Mu-43 Regular
I've put a little hot-shoe cover/bubble level on the E-M1 which comes in handy when "shooting from the hip".

zpierce

Super Moderator
Real Name
Zach
I found it a bit counterintuitive at first as well. I just trained my brain to tilt in the direction of the dots to straighten it out. That mental leap fixed it for me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom