1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus OM-D and Panasonic 20mm

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by aukirk, Sep 11, 2012.

1. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Just got an Olympus OM-D and I am happy with my early experiences with the camera's kit lens after converting from the Sony NEX system. I ordered the Panasonic 20mm pancake shortly after getting the camera based upon on-line reviews and the fact that it is a nice compromise between 35mm and 50mm (on FF equivalent).

Although I haven't had a chance to really use it, after mounting it and playing with it for a bit, I am wondering if it may be too small?!?! Can't believe I am saying that, but has anyone else had those thoughts? I think it is going to take some getting used to, and I wonder if the Panasonic 25mm may have been a better choice.

I am going to get out and shoot with it for a while tomorrow and see if it grows on me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Do you mean physically too small?I keep a cheap 46 mm vented hood, Leica knock off on mine all the time with no lens cap.Makes it larger and more in scale with the camera.I don't use my PL 25 much because it is too big and heavy.

3. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    That's a good idea... yeah, I was referring to it being physically too small. Almost feels like my fingers are going to touch the lens whenever I use two hands on the camera. However, after taking a few more shots with it today, I think I can get used to it (especially given the image quality).

Also, thanks for letting me know about the 25 weight.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I really like the size of the 20/1.7 on my E-M5, but I have probably become accustomed to the lens after using it for a while on my E-P2/3. The PL25 feels a lot bigger... something like the Sigma primes in size, but a bit heavier (much better build, imo). I think you will get used to the size, but nothing wrong with also buying the PL25, if you can swing it. :biggrin:

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    With pancake lenses hold the camera like a rangefinder (both hands on the body) rather than an SLR (one hand on the lens).

6. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Remember- Mike Tyson was considered "small" also!