1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus OM-D + 75mm + FL600R What a lens!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jgharold, Oct 2, 2012.

1. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
  2. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Love the last one of your daughter.

How did the combo of the 75/fl600 feel on the camera? Well balanced?

• Like Like x 1
  3. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    The 75 feels great on the OM-D. Being slightly bigger and heavier than the other prime lenses it sits well in your hand and balances the body well. Exactly what you want for portrait work. The FL600R does make the set-up feel slightly top heavy but this is the smallest of the Olympus flash guns with the highest output. When shooting in portrait view your hand rests nicely under the flash gun. Overall I would rather have a slightly heavier flash gun at times than an overall heavier set-up of a DSLR.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The 50R still has a lot more power. The 600R is specced at 200ISO. The 50R is specc'ed at 100ISO. A bit sneaky on Olympus' part.

Gordon

5. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

FL600R observations

For use with a 75mm lens I would think that you'd have to up the ISO quite a bit to get enough light on your subject since you're so far away with the camera.

I recently bought the FL600R and have been trying to optimize my use of it to match the results I get from my Canon 580ex on my dslr.

I've really liked the results when using a Stofen Omnibounce diffuser on it, pointing it directly at the ceiling or behind me (as observed watching a pro cover an event I attended).

Watching an instructional video on the use of the Stofen Omnibounce I saw that we were advised to keep the flash head at a 45 degree angle to the subject.

I do not like the results from that angle. Under chin shadows are too harsh. For me, at least, results were better with the flash directly up and sometimes with the Omnibounce removed and the reflector card lifted.

My one beef about the FL600R is that it can be very hard to replace that card down into the flash head. Have you run into problems with that?

Isabel