1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus OM-D +14-54 mm Zuiko 2.8-3.5 MkII= ? A deadly combo

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Now we all know Olympus has pulled the trigger for first weather sealed MFT body and irrespective of anything I am gonna get it . There have been few occasions when notorious weather of Melbourne did ruin my shoots and I wished if I had a weather sealed camera ,but my loyalty for MFT didn't allow me to switch of touch any other body hahhaha .
    So question remains how well new Olympus weather sealed lens 12-50 mm will perform? Honesty I am not at all interested in 12-50 mm new one .I would prefer and think Olympus 14-54mm Zuiko MkII paired with new OM-D will be the a deadly and best walk around combo from weather sealing and kit lens point of view. I assume AF will be within acceptable limits and even if a bit slow I don't care but there are other significant advantages of this combo.
    Please share your thoughts .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Are you talking about the 12-60mm, or the new m.ZD 12-50mm?

The 4/3 12-60 f/2.8-4.0 is a superb lens, much better than the new m4/3 12-50/3.5-6.5 and significantly better than the 14-54II/2.8-3.5. The new 12-50 I agree is not very interesting.

If the OM-D can focus the 12-60 quickly and without too much noise, I would be very interested indeed.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  3. The existing MMF-1 and MMF-2 are most likely not weather-sealed since there is no rubber seal on the camera-side of the mount.

4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    You're right, Nic, but the rumour site reckons a weather-sealed adaptor is on its way. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Still just rumors. Remember what they were predicting for what ended up as the 12-50? Anyone who puts too much stock in what that site reports is just asking to be disappointed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bhupinder2002

No sir ..43 lens legendary Olympus 14-54mm Zuiko MII - the only 4/3 lens which focuses perfectly on MFT bodies .Ya new MFT 12-50 is not very interesting at all.
    Cheers

7. Bhupinder2002

I can create my own weather sealing for the adaptor ..stick a cello tape around .. or I have enough surgical products to wrap around ..like a water proof band aid and there are couple of more things which can b used ..ahaha But I reckon they will come up with weather sealed adaptor .
    Cheers

8. Bhupinder2002

So finally we have seen OMD in blood and flesh ..Love the camera and I am still convinced Olympus 14-54 Zuiko Mrk II will be the best kit lens option for OMD
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The 12-60 has a mechanically coupled manual focus ring. Easier to MF than the 14-54, for whatever that's worth on a m4/3.

10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I love the IQ of the 4/3 14-54 Mk II, but I only use it when I need a relatively fast zoom (aperture-wise), since I find the AF of the 14-54 too slow on my E-P3, and it sometimes misses focus by a few cm and thought it is in focus, so you don't find out until you go home and display the photo on your computer... Definitely defeat the purpose of the 3D tracking of the E-M5...

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I'd have gotten the 12-60 over the 14-54 II if the max. aperture doesn't drop so quickly on the lens when zoomed in. I also couldn't find a decent conditioned second-hand 12-60 when I was looking out for one, but found a good 14-54 II instead...

12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Optically it's a great lens, but the AF will turn your "worlds fastest" into an EP1. I still use mine but I really struggle with the AF.

Gordon

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The new Weather Sealed Four-Thirds Mount Adapter is already here (for pre-order anyways, like the OM-D), and it is called the MMF-3 as the rumors had thought. Price is $179 USD.

MMF-3.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 14-54mm is really a lot more compact than the 12-60mm (the 14-54mm is a great physical fit for the PEN), plus it's now CDAF-optimized for our m4/3 system (at the time they said it was for "live view", but they were already making claims that CDAF was the future - you know they were talking about the PEN they had in development). I think you ended up with the better choice anyways.

15. Bhupinder2002

anyone thinking of getting this lens instead of the kit lens?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

16. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I've been seriously thinking about getting this lens.

I'll be going to Japan in a couple of weeks and have been debating to get the 14-54 mkII and use that over my E-P3's kit lens. My concerns are mainly with size and weight...

Don't worry Bhupinder, I'll be bringing the PL25 no matter what. :biggrin:

17. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    yes, when hiking i dont care about slow AF, and a weather sealed body + a sharp weather sealed lens would be great.

18. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Does anyone have pictures of the 14-54 on an E-P3? I looked at the matching simulator but I'd preferred additional pictures.

I'm also having a hard time finding deals on used 14-54 mkII's on eBay. If anyone knows of other places to look for used lenses, do tell! (Yes, I've trawled my local Craigslist too)

19. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The only real downside of the 14-54/14-54II is it's none too hot at the wide end (even the regular 4/3 14-42 was better at 14mm). A shame really as in every other respect it's the perfect lens.

Not on the E-P3, but on the E-P1 look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/olyigel/3711284944/

DH

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bhupinder2002

Hi Guys
    I am still thinking of getting this combo. I do believe that 14-45 mm Zuiko MarkII will be a deadly combo.
    Cheers