1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus OM-D 10 Wi Fi Control

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by robw, Apr 21, 2014.

1. robw

robw Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2014
    hi guys, just about to purchase the OM-D10 (vs 2nd hand OM-D5) because of the ability to control via android device. The one thing I have not been able to find out tho is if the control is quick/easy/good. Has anyone used it "in anger" and has comments. It would mostly be sued for indoor close up / macro work with flowers (close up first cos i am thinking of getting the 12-50mm lens first - then macro when I can afford either the 35mm or 6mm dedicated lens)....

anyway - if anyone has any thoughts on the wi-fi control on the 10, they would be greatly received

Rob (a nearly converted oly shooter)

2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    My thoughts after using it a few times are that it can be very convenient, but not as much as I had hoped. First of all, it's not a quick hook up. You have to turn on the wifi on the camera and then connect your phone/tablet to the wifi signal, then you can turn on the Olympus Share and start using it. When you are using Olympus Share on the camera, you can't do anything with the LCD screen.

For indoor work, this would be less of a hassle. The manual focus on the lens should work, and the advantage of using a tablet is that is a much larger image to inspect and scrutinize.

I'm happy to have the capability to use the wifi, but I wish it was a quicker solution.

3. robw

robw Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2014
    cheers Harvey... i wondered about it for low down outside shots too (mature/flowers) so i dont have to be bent over... its the one thing drawing me to the 10 vs getting a 2nd hand 5 for £100 less

4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    For my low down outdoor flower shots, I just flip the LCD up so that it's easy to view, but I do have to bend over a little. I haven't found the need to use a tripod yet, and that would be where I would find it very useful.

5. robw

robw Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2014
    cheers Harvey - if thats the case then perhaps i could go with the 5 for £100 less (2nd hand) and do without wifi control... argh)... do you have any photos you took with the 10 (not wifi just generally) - perhaps on flikr?

6. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    You asked me a difficult question. Flickr in their infinite wisdom, reorganized everything recently, so I had to dig to find this.

These are all OM-D E-M10 photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/25215809@N04/collections/72157643381106635/
    The only one that I took with wifi are the photos of my eye in the M Zuiko f2.8 60mm Macro group.

There is also this user group that is worth looking at, all taken with OM-D cameras: https://www.flickr.com/groups/om-d_user/

Here are 2 to look at on this forum:
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=60007 look at post #94 on the last page.

And OM-D E-M5 photos: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=22157

7. DougVaughn

DougVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Doug Vaughn
    I've used the wi-fi on the E-M1 very successfully and assume the E-M10 has all the same functionality.

Harvey is correct that setting up can be a little slow, but once you do it a couple times and get the hang of it, it's no problem. I've been using it a lot and can have it ready to shoot in about 20 seconds.

I think Olympus did a very nice job with the number of features it lets you control from the iPad (or Android). This includes aperture, ISO, shutter speed, program mode, focus mode, exposure compensation, single shot vs. multi shot (all options), and I think even white balance. It's pretty cool, especially working where the light is changing.

My advice is to take the time to play with the options in the app. I've been setting mine up near a bird feeder and need to work rapidly (fast critters), so I found turning off the feature to review after each shot worked best for me. Tapping on the screen to focus and trip the shutter in one motion has worked well and accurately.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nigelcorn

nigelcorn New to Mu-43

Apr 6, 2014
    I've used it a few times and am very impressed. It takes a minute or two the first time, but is quicker after that.

I'm impressed with the control from my phone or tablet, it's better than I was expecting, plus it's nice to pull a couple pictures off the camera to view on the larger tablet screen where I can zoom in and play around to make sure I'm getting the shot I was going for.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

9. 4202djgs

4202djgs New to Mu-43

Mar 23, 2013
    I like the wifi function. The first few times are slow but once you get the workflow down it is pretty neat. Olympus seems to have done a very nice job with this functionality. The Olympus wifi app (at least on iphone) is much better than the Fuji XT-1 version from my experience. In fact the Olympus is much, much better.

With a lens like the 12-50mm you can even control zoom functionality from the app. I have used the geotagging function of the app as well. As long as you sync the camera and phone time, it is pretty darn accurate. Overall I think the app and wifi is a very nice feature Olympus has brought out for us.

Best Regards