Olympus OM adaptors are they all huge

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jorge Ledesma, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Hello guys, I'm wondering if the Olympus OM adaptors are all huge. Do you know of any that are smaller if they exists.

Thanks,
    JL

2. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    They're all going to be the same size since they all have to move the lens far enough away from the sensor.

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    If you want a smaller Olympus adapter your going to have to go with pen f adapter and lenses. The size of adapter is affected by flange distance that is required for an adapted lense to work on m43 body. Hence the reason certain lenses are more popular if compact size is an issue.

4. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks so much!!!

5. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks a lot, always had that doubt.

6. The adapters are long, the lenses are not. Together they end up no bigger or smaller than most other SLR lens/adapter combinations.

7. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    Make sure you have an adapter that has a stopper for the aperture tab. The auto-s OM lenses need it To have aperture operate properly.

8. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks fellows, another quick question, if I may. Do the MD Rokkor lenses have a smaller adapter than the Olympus OM's? The goal is to have the smallest setup on my GF1 but I don't want to venture into super expensive legacy glass. The Rokkors and Olympus are more or less in the same price range, so I'm good with this. Also eventually want to use them on a Canon 5D or 7D as well. Thanks

9. Not sure if you can use Rokkors on a Canon, but Olympus OM, Nikon F and M42 lenses will fit the EF mount with an adapter.

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The adapter for Minolta lenses will be slightly shorter, but similar lenses tend to be a little bigger than Olympus OM lenses.

Fred

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    All of the SLR mounts are further than 40mm away from the sensor, so they're all going to be big, and about the same size, give or take 3-4 millimeters. You won't find anything that is compact, once you start adapting SLR lenses. The OM system was designed to be a little more portable than the others, so you might as well go with that, since it is also readily adaptable to Canon EF mount.

If you just want portable, then get yourself some rangefinder lenses. Leica screw mount is pretty small, and some lenses like the Summitar 50mm are collapsible. Leica M mount has superior lenses, and is just a tiny bit bigger, but the lenses are astronomically expensive. C-mount (video) lenses are pretty small, but you have to get lenses that are longer than 25mm or you'll have problems, since the lens won't completely cover the sensor with an image.

12. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse