Olympus OM 50mm f3.5 and flash

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by playak47, Nov 10, 2010.

1. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I just bought this lens from ebay for my e-pl1. Everything looks good so far except with flash. I am shooting in aperture mode. When I use flash the whole image comes up blue. Is it some sort of setting?

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Sounds like a white balance issue.

3. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I should have figured. You were right. Everything is pretty much manual with this lens. This was one of the options I overlooked. Thanks

4. andy_jansen

andy_jansen Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2010
    Herten, NL
    Try making pictures in S-mode. Camera can't change aperture (you need to do it manually on the lens).

5. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    That's the reason you CANNOT use S-mode. With S mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture - which of course it cannot.

You can use either A (aperture priority mode) or M. In any event, if you are using a flash that has TTL metering, you can probably get away with S-mode but you are essentially shooting in M mode with the aperture of the lens controlling what the camera would prefer to do automatically.

6. andy_jansen

Oct 19, 2010
    Herten, NL
    Since the camera can't control the aperture, switching the camera in S-mode will have the same effect as in M-mode.

Or am I wrong in this???

7. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    With the possible exception of metering problems. Why not just do it with an appropriate setting like M or A?

8. andy_jansen

Oct 19, 2010
    Herten, NL
    In A-mode you can't adjust your shutter speed
    In M-mode, you can't adjust your exposure compensation

But didn't know that you can get metering probs when in S-mode.

9. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    In A mode, you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed.

In M mode, you set the shutter speed and the aperture. That combination will determine the exposure, whether it is spot on or not. The metering will give a reading of up to plus or minus 3EV on the LCD readout.

In S mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture - except it cannot when you have a manual aperture lens fitted. You cannot adjust exposure compensation with S mode. When you adjust the exposure compensation in S mode with a manual lens, and you get a reading of up to plus or minus 3EV on the LCD, as the camera cannot adjust the aperture, the exposures will be identical.

10. andy_jansen

Oct 19, 2010
    Herten, NL
    OK thanks, still hot a lot to learn apperently :p

So when you use a manual lens, in A-mode you'll get a correct shutter speed?

11. I always leave my E-P1 in P and it meters fine with or without a flash. Exposure compensation works as well.

12. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    interesting comments...i am new to the manual lenses. So i appreciate all the tips. But I am having fun with the lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.