1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus OM 50mm f3.5 and flash

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by playak47, Nov 10, 2010.

1. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I just bought this lens from ebay for my e-pl1. Everything looks good so far except with flash. I am shooting in aperture mode. When I use flash the whole image comes up blue. Is it some sort of setting?

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Sounds like a white balance issue.

3. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I should have figured. You were right. Everything is pretty much manual with this lens. This was one of the options I overlooked. Thanks

4. andy_jansen

andy_jansen Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2010
    Herten, NL
    Try making pictures in S-mode. Camera can't change aperture (you need to do it manually on the lens).

5. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    That's the reason you CANNOT use S-mode. With S mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture - which of course it cannot.

You can use either A (aperture priority mode) or M. In any event, if you are using a flash that has TTL metering, you can probably get away with S-mode but you are essentially shooting in M mode with the aperture of the lens controlling what the camera would prefer to do automatically.

6. andy_jansen

Oct 19, 2010
    Herten, NL
    Since the camera can't control the aperture, switching the camera in S-mode will have the same effect as in M-mode.

Or am I wrong in this???

7. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    With the possible exception of metering problems. Why not just do it with an appropriate setting like M or A?

8. andy_jansen

Oct 19, 2010
    Herten, NL
    In A-mode you can't adjust your shutter speed
    In M-mode, you can't adjust your exposure compensation

But didn't know that you can get metering probs when in S-mode.

9. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    In A mode, you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed.

In M mode, you set the shutter speed and the aperture. That combination will determine the exposure, whether it is spot on or not. The metering will give a reading of up to plus or minus 3EV on the LCD readout.

In S mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture - except it cannot when you have a manual aperture lens fitted. You cannot adjust exposure compensation with S mode. When you adjust the exposure compensation in S mode with a manual lens, and you get a reading of up to plus or minus 3EV on the LCD, as the camera cannot adjust the aperture, the exposures will be identical.

10. andy_jansen

Oct 19, 2010
    Herten, NL
    OK thanks, still hot a lot to learn apperently :p

So when you use a manual lens, in A-mode you'll get a correct shutter speed?

11. I always leave my E-P1 in P and it meters fine with or without a flash. Exposure compensation works as well.

12. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    interesting comments...i am new to the manual lenses. So i appreciate all the tips. But I am having fun with the lens.