Olympus OM 50mm f3.5 and flash

playak47

Mu-43 Veteran
I just bought this lens from ebay for my e-pl1. Everything looks good so far except with flash. I am shooting in aperture mode. When I use flash the whole image comes up blue. Is it some sort of setting?

playak47

Mu-43 Veteran
I should have figured. You were right. Everything is pretty much manual with this lens. This was one of the options I overlooked. Thanks

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Try making pictures in S-mode. Camera can't change aperture (you need to do it manually on the lens).
That's the reason you CANNOT use S-mode. With S mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture - which of course it cannot.

You can use either A (aperture priority mode) or M. In any event, if you are using a flash that has TTL metering, you can probably get away with S-mode but you are essentially shooting in M mode with the aperture of the lens controlling what the camera would prefer to do automatically.

andy_jansen

Mu-43 Regular
In A-mode you can't adjust your shutter speed
In M-mode, you can't adjust your exposure compensation

But didn't know that you can get metering probs when in S-mode.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
In A-mode you can't adjust your shutter speed
In M-mode, you can't adjust your exposure compensation

But didn't know that you can get metering probs when in S-mode.
In A mode, you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed.

In M mode, you set the shutter speed and the aperture. That combination will determine the exposure, whether it is spot on or not. The metering will give a reading of up to plus or minus 3EV on the LCD readout.

In S mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture - except it cannot when you have a manual aperture lens fitted. You cannot adjust exposure compensation with S mode. When you adjust the exposure compensation in S mode with a manual lens, and you get a reading of up to plus or minus 3EV on the LCD, as the camera cannot adjust the aperture, the exposures will be identical.

andy_jansen

Mu-43 Regular
OK thanks, still hot a lot to learn apperently :p

So when you use a manual lens, in A-mode you'll get a correct shutter speed?

playak47

Mu-43 Veteran
interesting comments...i am new to the manual lenses. So i appreciate all the tips. But I am having fun with the lens.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom