Olympus OM 35-80 f/2.8 ED - anyone?

I was on eBay, and spotted this unicorn. Looks like gem of a vintage lens but I don't see anything related to it on this forum. Does anyone have any experience with it? I am curious, mir.com heaps praises on it and going price for used lenses is close to $1000. What is it about this lens, limited number production, or it really performs so well or both?

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
This snippet is taken from a very old thread on dpr that also references the 35-100 ZD lens ..... https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2718284

The 35-80 f2.8 was released in 1994 along with the OM-3Ti. The 35-100 f2 was released in 2005. That is 11 years, but more significant it is the difference between film and digital.

The 35-80 is a fine lens. But it was designed for 35mm film. The two concerns are that the lens is not designed to provide optimal resolution to a reduced image circle, and the lens is not designed to deal with the reflectivity of digital sensors. This can cause flares and reduced contrast. In some lighting conditions, this may be fine. But issues can occur in high contrast lighting.

plummerl

Mu-43 Rookie
I have a large collection of film OMs and lenses. My favorite lens of the bunch for my OMD E-M1 is the 35-80mm f2.8. It's the only lens I use at frequent concerts put on by KEXP in Seattle for donors. Most of these are shot wide open with speed of 6400, using spot metering and focus peaking.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom