1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus OI Share

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zulfur666, Feb 3, 2014.

1. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Now that I finally got my E-M1 with the 12-40 lens I been playing with it over the weekend. And am thrilled. Also the remote control feature on an Android Galaxy S4 works wonderfully.
    But here is my small wish list perhaps some people know of a solution or add to it.
    When the E-M1 is connected to OI Share I wish the camera clock would automatically update or ask if the phone and camera time should be synched. This is helpful when traveling abroad to a new time zone, your phone automatically gets the new time from the new provider it logs into. Sometimes I forget to update the camera time.
    Should be a "easy" SW update for Olympus :)
    GPS synch should also write the GPS info direct to the photos while it is connected not later ask again to re-synch it. It works great but for now you log the GPS data separate and later re-sync to write the GPS info to the RAW or jpg files. Also the altitude is missing all you get is LONG and LAT.
    For now I may still continue using my Garmin and leave it running all day. But for short weekend restaurant or local park trips would be nice if I only had to sync the phone and it would work more smooth.
    Thats all. I continue taking photos.... Love it so far.... more so than my E-M5, it just grips better and more controls at your fingertips easier changing ISO, WB etc on the E-M1.... what a wonderful tool.

2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    If you remote shoot with the app and the GPS tracking on, I believe it attaches the GPS info in real time. Otherwise, there's no other way to do it. You have to take the camera out of Wifi mode to shoot from the camera body.

Also, it's really important to connect to the camera with oi.Share before you begin GPS logging - for the exact reason you indicate - to sync the clock. Otherwise, the app can't match the track logs up to the photos.

With my Canon and Nikon gear, I used to photograph the screen of my GPS for the first frame and I had software that asked you to input the recorded time and date from that photo. It then used that info to calculate the time offset between the camera and the GPS unit and align the track log with the photos.

3. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    tried it last night and no if you shoot with the App, the GPS data is not automatically saved, you have to later re-sync the camera and then the app asks should I tag the photos?
    Also like I said, the App should look at the phone's clock and sync the camera clock, which right now it does not do and you MUST manually adjust the clock to match your phone clock time.
    Seems Olympus has to improve this App a bit. Hey Olympus need a SW programmer.... ????? contact me :)

4. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Happy to report, I don't know if Olympus updated the App for Android, but now the time syncing works. Meaning the camera time gets set to the phone's time as soon as you connect OI share with the camera. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  5. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I need to play more with this app. The more I hear, the more handy it seems. I'm glad to have it. I always figured wifi in a camera was somewhat of a gimmick, but then I also thought touch screens were dumb. I now use the touch to release function most of the time. ;)

6. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Anyone here using OI.Share with an IOS device and finding that the ISO values do not transfer with the transferred images? I'm using it with an E-M10 and a 3rd gen iPad as well as an iPhone 5, both running latest version of IOS 7. egy5uty2.

7. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    I'm on E-M1 firmware update 2.2 and I just noticed that my times on photos are really messed up. This partially has to do with OI.share changing the time on the camera through my iPhone 6+ and partially because there is no time zone setting on the camera. Is there a way to turn off time sync on OI.share or set the time zone/ sync the time properly dependent on time zone? Basically all my photos have EST time aka GMT-5 instead of whatever time zone I was supposed to be in. It seems kind of odd that the time sync issue has changed the time but not the time zone on the camera.

8. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    I tried to use the app for the first time this evening, and failed :(

The phone and camera connect OK, I can see live view remotely but when I select import photos, it says there are none. I took 2 shots before I'd connected them both.

The shots were RAW only - should this have still worked?

iPhone6 with the latest updates, OM1 with the latest updates also.

9. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    No. That won't work. Oi.Share only knows JPEG. So you'll have to set the camera to RAW+JPEG or just JPEG.

• Like Like x 1
  10. obsolescence

obsolescence Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2016
    Los Angeles
    John Gaylord
    OI.Share is not set up to control the High Res Shot mode of the EM5ii, which is disappointing. I want to do HDR multi exposures in High Res, but the only way that's possible is by tethering to a computer running the latest Oly Capture software. I hope Olympus will enable this WiFi control feature in the future, especially since the EM1ii is expected to have enhanced (quicker) High Res capture. (I also hope the aperture and flash sync limits will be expanded.)

• Like Like x 1