Olympus officially unveils new pro lens roadmap (43rumors)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by doboy, Aug 11, 2014.

1. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    This makes me happy I opted for the 150f2 now. I'm very happy with the IQ and the price I paid. So I get -

150 f2
    210 f2.8
    300 f4

with the two TCs.
  2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Glad the mirrorless division is doing relatively well, that should inspire Oly to support it further!
  3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Oh good, no waterproof normal range primes or cool pancakes.
  4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Not entirely sure if I want to sell the 35-100 F2.0 and go for the 40-150 F2.8... As above I get roughly the same ranges using a TC, it's really just the weight and size difference. I can't go faster (f2.0) with the 40-150.
  5. bg2b

bg2b Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2009
    Berkeley Heights, NJ
    That's an awful long time between first teasing and eventual release. Second half of 2015 is already pretty late for the 45-150, but the other two scheduled for 2016? Why bother to announce them at all? Few who are considering buying into a system (or thinking about leaving it) are going to wait that long; all it does is create the impression that you're moving very slowly.

Edit: Thanks to robbie36 for pointing out that it's FY, not calendar year, and that Olympus's FY ends in March.
  6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm more than happy with my 35-100mm f2 and regardless of the size and weight, wouldn't swap it for the 40-150mm f2.8 and with the 1.4TC, it has the same FL and aperture, and also works reasonably well with the 2xTC.

On another note, Olympus should really consider getting out of the P&S game, mobile phones have this section sown up.
  7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Maybe you slightly misunderstood what Olympus is saying. Olympus mentions FY2015 and FY2016. The 'FY' stands for fiscal year and Olympus's fiscal year ends in March. So second half FY2015 means sometime after the end of September (ie next month) and next March. And FY2016 means some time between the end of next March and March 2016. So the 40-150 may well be released by the end of this year and the other 2 by the end of next.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. bg2b

bg2b Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2009
    Berkeley Heights, NJ
    That would be more reasonable for the 40-150. I still think they should have held off on the other two though.
  9. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    It's possible the early reveal was to make people more confident in buying into M43 as Pro system now. At least they have something to show; this puts Oly ahead of the APS-C mirrorless makers.
  10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Encouraging news. Mirrorless camera sales are on the rise and M43 system is in its own league right now. Attracting professionals is a smart idea, amateurs will buy what pros have. It's an opportunity of a lifetime for Olympus camera division while:
    - Nikon is stuck with unattractive 1" mount for decades to come.
    - Canon seems to care only about DSLRs, even their S-series has been overtaken by Sony RX100 years ago.
    - Sony has major ADD with multiple mounts and technologies, they are their own worst enemy.
    - Fuji is too retro obsessed, abysmal support (pro accessories, videography, IBIS, etc.)
    - Samsung does't count (as always)

It may be smart for Oly to wait on marketing until they get on-sensor PDAF right (like Nikon 1).
  11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia

Fuji abysmal support ? ...Surely there are only few (if any at all) camera manufacturer out there that listen so intently to its clients needs and complaints with regards to frequent firmware updates that offer genuinely useful improvements to already excellent cameras.

Although 'hybrid' photography is sure to become a really big thing and IBIS is really nice to have...I don't recall too many Leica, Canon or Nikon working photographers claiming "oh if only I had IBIS" Great video and IBIS are just 2 features in a very long list of features that make a modern camera, and neither of which is essential in making a great camera let alone taking a great photograph.

Samsung doesn't count ? ...they make some good stuff worth looking at I think. They are perhaps developing their photography 'ecosystem' more slowly and certainly don't have significant market share but they are making good cameras and lenses.
  12. blindinglight

blindinglight Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2014
    Happy to see M43 chugging along. Every financial results figures from Oly always gets me in anxiety mode since these are the years when its "make or break" for the system. We're fine for now so lets hope Oly can get the momentum going.

As for the lenses, "Weather Proof" is what this is all about which will be so useful for us always in the outdoors with fragile gear. Wide and Telephoto market for the M43 seems interesting which makes me guess, if we can climb out of the financial stump, we'll be seeing more awesome bodies, one road breaking away from too much portability for maneuverability and ease of use while the other road is the Pen series for smaller bodies. Panasonic has already gone the route of comfortable handling with the GH4 at the cost of "anorexia M43". It's all good if the Pro market bites.
  13. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    So 7-14mm is 14-24mm in 35mm equivalent...

Makes me wonder why their imaging division is haemorrhaging money. At least their core businesses are profitable!

14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Some would also say that the Micro 4/3 mount is unattractive compared to larger formats...
  15. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    And still no decent wide prime...
  16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    I dunno. Some people are never satisfied! :wink: :tongue:
  17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I know Ross - us whinging poms!

But seriously, the system still needs an UWA rectilinear prime (something in the 7-9 range).
    • Like Like x 1
  18. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Did you miss the rumor about them releasing a 9mm F/1.8 Pro prime?

But I agree. I've been thinking for a while that the best solution for a M43 shooter craving a compact, high-quality 24mm equivalent lens should just buy a Ricoh GR. Me, I'm ok with the 12-32mm.
  19. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I would disagree with the assessment about Nikon. All they need to do to make Nikon 1 into a VERY viable system is to put a good 1" sensor of the caliber of the Sony sensor in it, and price it appropriately, and the system suddenly gets VERY competitive. The have clearly been intentionally limiting it until they feel the market really soften for low end, compact DSLRs, because they don't want to be the ones who eat their own baby. In actual fact, once their cameras reach their fire sale price points, they get very interesting because of their AF performance, and the fact that they can deliver much of that AF performance using existing big fast DSLR glass at more than double it's original reach. Right now, you can get a Nikon 1 V2 body for $400 or so, or a V1 body for $200 or so and there are things they can do with respect to shooting fast action that no Micro 4/3 camera can, and only the GH4 and E-M1 can even approach. Of course, it's let down by it's High ISO performance, but at ISOs below 1600, the system rocks.