Olympus not looking to replace the everyman DSLR E-620

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by daimos, Oct 12, 2010.

1. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    Olympus not looking to replace the everyman DSLR E-620, thinks PEN system fits the bill -- Engadget

"The E-620 from Olympus, the company's latest attempt at an entry-level DSLR, was well reviewed upon release, said to be the best mix of performance and value of any of the company's DSLRs released to date. However, that date is something of a problem: summer of 2009, and today's camera fans are hungry for updates at least every year. Is a successor coming? No, according to Product Manager Toshiyuki Terada, at least not in the near-term. He believes that the "entry level SLR class can be completely replaced by the PEN system in terms of performance." Yes, the compact, replaceable lens PEN system that's currently found models like the E-P1 and E-P2. Mind you, we definitely enjoyed our time with the lesser expensive E-PL1, and all the little shooters have been impressing, but none quite delivers the DSLR feel that meaty-pawed amateurs covet. Maybe all they need is a little dose of 50 - 200mm telephoto to get over their anxiety. "

• Like Like x 2
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Personally I regard the current crop of :43: cameras as serving a different purpose to the DSLR, not replacing it. Each has it's own distinct advantages and although there is a large overlap in what cameras such as the Pens can cover, in no way do I regard them as being a complete replacement for the DSLR in all situations - yet. I think Olympus are right, the time is coming, but they do seem to be jumping the gun just a little.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Maybe the E-620 will come down in price and more people will buy them up.:wink:

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I think they are just cutting their losses as early as possible. They've made it clear they are focusing on m43 lenses in the future. They are not going to win enough entry level dslr owners with canikon and sony's offerings under $1000. I'd like to throw pentax in there because the K-x/k-r is really good... just, no marketing power.

What's that leave for oly? refocus m43 lenses and PEN line. compete head on against the panasonic G/H line instead, but "go pro" with E-x build. It gives all the newbie Pen E-PL1 owners something to jump too if they want that kind of camera ergonomics.

The E-5 and whatever successors left will exist to hopefully keep those that did not jump satisfied till they transition in full to m43s.

5. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    The E-5 could well be the end of the line as it will have a model life of at least 2 years if not 3. There doesn't seem much point to upgrading the E-30 as there wouldn't be enough product differentiation and it would only take sales from the E-5 if they did a decent job of it.

The writing for the E series was on the wall in big letters when the E-5 was such a lame replacement. Just stretching for a small amount of extra time with minimal investment.