Olympus Newbie Question: Will the Zuiko 14-54 and 12-60 fit the EM-5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dino8031, Mar 13, 2012.

1. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    Total Newbie question here. Sorry, I'm a Canon DSLR guy venturing into m4/3 territory.

Will the Zuiko 14-54 and the 12-60 fit the EM-5 or will they require an adapter?

If an adapter is required is it because the mounts are physically different or is it an issue with different auto-focus systems? Is the lens functionality the same?

So how do I tell what will fit what within the modern Olympus lens lineup?
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Think of it as being similar to Canon EF and EF-S lenses, but with the added complication of two different mounts. For EF (full-frame) think Four Thirds. For EF-S (APS-C, cropped) think Micro Four Thirds.

Four Thirds lenses (like the two you mention) with fit Four Thirds DSLRs. They will also fit Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras but will require an adapter.

Micro Four Thirds lenses will fit Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras, but not the Four Thirds DSLRs.

Sadly functionality does not mirror my Canon analogy. Few Four Thirds lenses are designed to function effectively with the Contrast Detect AF systems in Micro Four Thirds cameras, and even those that do will not deliver stellar AF speeds. Aside from that the Four Thirds lenses are fully compatible with Micro Four Thirds cameras.