1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus new 12-40mm pulled!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tony1941, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Tony1941

Tony1941 New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2013
    Midlands, UK
    I attended a launch demo of the new EM-1 last Saturday in the UK.

There was just one EM-1 camera available to be passed round the crowd, but no Olympus rep to answer questions.

The new 12-40 lens was not available (actually only 2 exist in the UK) and I was told it had been 'pulled' by Olympus for technical reasons, pending modification. One can only guess the problem. Any ideas?

The new grip was also not available to handle.

As part of the launch bonus, the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter is being offered FOC for existing AND registered 4/3 camera owners. BUT not for the rest of us who might otherwise be seriously tempted to buy the superior 4/3 lenses. Bad marketing!

All-in-all rather disappointing. I got the impression that the EM-1 launch was hurried and premature. I sincerely hope things improve.

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    That's kinda disappointing indeed.

When I attended here in Tokyo, everything was there with all the big 4/3 lenses ready for testing. I would say there were probably more than 15 E-M1 there all with the 12-40mm for everybody to test, although each and every single E-M1 have an Olympus rep beside it ready to assist anybody. :smile:

3. sadwitch

sadwitch Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi Steven I'll be going to Japan in Oct and really hope to get my hands on a 12-40mm. Where would you advice me to go to check out and purchase the lens.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    B&H lists the "expected" date as November 25. I have no idea if this is the same as before.

5. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Unfortunately, by October the 12-40mm lens only will not be available yet. It will be available around mid to end of November.

If you want the 12-40mm by end of October, the only way to get it is with the E-M1 as kit.

Easiest place to buy are from the big camera stores like Yodobashi Camera and Bic Camera, they usually offer 5% tax discount to tourists. Depends on where you are gonna stay I could recommend you more specialized shops. Just shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to direct you to a few more shops. :smile:

Yeap this is correct. Almost the same time frame here

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Tony - this is all very disappointing. Where was the launch event as a matter of interest? Do you know if there are any more planned?

7. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    That's very disappointing, it clearly stated on the Olympus website that existing EM5 users upgrading to the EM1 would receive a free grip AND adaptor. For them to simply change their mind about this afterwards, after incentivising people to put in an order, then that is very misleading and as you say very bad marketing!

8. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    Tony - if no Olympus rep was on hand, where did the info on the lens and the free grip/adapter come from? If it was a dealer, I would be a little skeptical since this hasn't surfaced via any other source yet.

Maybe I'll drop Robin Wong a note and see if he can confirm or deny (he works for Olympus now and has a long term E-M1 and 12-40).

9. Tony1941

Tony1941 New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2013
    Midlands, UK
    The event was held at Harrisons Cameras in Sheffield, where I bought my EM-5. I am not aware of the other launch events, though several have already been held at various locations. the Olympus website should have the info for you.

I, too, was surprised at the 'selective' offer of the adapter. It is a disincentive to buy into the 4/3 lenses.

My original understanding was that the new lens would be available as a package with the new camera, with a delivery of mid-October. As far as the lens is concerned, that date has now been delayed, and November, referred to by monk3y seems likely and should be sufficient time for whatever 'faults' exist in the pre-release examples to be fixed. The salesman clearly indicated that the lens had been 'pulled for technical reasons' (his words). The inference was to do with the lens design, not manufacturing bottlenecks.

10. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    That would be very helpful, thank you Keith.

I saw it noted on one of the UK Olympus Facebook groups that the same information has been transmitted to a couple of other users - namely that the free adapter will not be included despite the clear statement on the release date that it would be. If this turns out to be the case then I will personally complain to Olympus.

11. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    I sent a not to Robin, so it will interesting to see what he says, but this sounds like either old news (November has been the release date pretty much from the beginning once Oly started doing the PR circuit with the lens) or typical salesman BS (at least in the US, salesmen rarely know anything more than what we know from reading the various blogs and rumors on the web).

I haven't kept up with the other offer, since it doesn't apply to us here in the US, but that might also be misinformation on the salesman's part.

I wouldn't get too concerned yet

12. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    Oly has published the rebate offer for a free adapter or free flash on the US website. Does Olympus UK have anything in print yet?

13. Tony1941

Tony1941 New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2013
    Midlands, UK
    Keith, it would be good to get confirmation of the lens delay and reason, and the adapter situation in the UK.

I am quite certain of what I was told. I, and several others present queried both issues closely. There was no doubt.

Either both issues are true (reflects badly on Olympus), or the dealership was grossly misinformed (also reflects badly on Olympus).

We do need clarity.

Tony

14. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    Not doubting that is what you heard, Tony. I think the salesman had his wires crossed, at least on anything recent happening to the lens release date.

I inquired after the lens with Robin. Since the adapter offer would be specific to the UK, I don't think Robin is the best source for that answer (he is in Malaysia).

Here is the link to the US/Canada adapter rebate: http://olympus.rebateaccess.com

15. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Olympus Japan doesn't say anything about being current registered Olympus users. If you pre-order the E-M1 you get a choice of either the adapter or Sd card.
    index_img_03.
    index_img_05.
    index_img_06.

Attached Files:

16. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    If you look a bit further down the page in the following link the free extras (the grip and adapter) are mentioned. I can't see if the wording has been changed since I registered: http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras/om_d_system_cameras/om_d/e_m1/index.html

When I registered it said that existing users would get these free gifts, so I registered my EM5 and I got a confirmation e-mail with an attachment setting out the offer and the offer code, so that I could redeem it with my receipt. It clearly states on the offer e-mail that as an EM5 owner I qualify for both grip and adapter. So I don't think they could claim that it was a misunderstanding.

17. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
  18. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Hi Tony, there were several E-M1s and at least one 12-40 over the weekend at the official Olympus Image Space event at the Truman Brewery.
    I suspect the Harrison Cameras event wasn't much on Oly Uk's radar - that event seems mostly billed as the opening of HC's training and event centre on their website.

I can confirm the 12-40 worked fine for the few mins I had it on my e-m5 - but I didn't get much chance to test it as I was there for a portrait course Oly had set up.

Lindsay, if Oly emailed you a code with promotion details I'm sure they'll honour it...I get the feeling from claiming previous rebates that Oly UK aren't fantastically efficient at promotions, but they do come through eventually.

19. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I hope that's the case Arch - I'll soon find out!

20. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    The E system is not the same as the EM system and so unless you are already registered with Olympus as an E system owner, you won't get the adapter;

Extract from Ts & Cs:

"If the User places an order in the Olympus Webshop before Sales Start, verification will take place (regarding ownership of a registered E-System camera in myOlympus). With the Olympus database for legitimisation making the User is eligible for receipt of the MMF-3 Adapter upon purchase. Only in cases where this verification is positive will Olympus send the MMF-3 Adapter (Offer 1) together with the camera upon the start of sales (Beginning October 2013). Any possible receipt of the HLD-7 Battery Grip shall remain unaffected by this (Offer 2)."

Incidentally I registered for the grip yesterday and ordered and EM-1 with 12-40 today.