Olympus mZD 9-18mm - user questions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Leedsgreen, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Leedsgreen

Leedsgreen Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010
    Dear All,

I would like to buy an UWA lens and am looking at either the Olympus mZD 9-18mm or its bigger 4/3 cousin. Ideally, I would prefer the compactness of the m4/3 version but have a few concerns. Would anybody be able to tell me:

1. Is the image qaulity of the m4/3 version as good as the 4/3 version. According to DPreview they seem pretty similar. How about in the field?

2. Is there a huge deifference in AF speed (on an Olympus and/or Panasonic m4/3 body) between the lenses?

3. I've read that the mZD 14-42mm lens is a little flimsy with regard to attaching (square) filters, how does the mZD 9-18mm hold up? Has anyone tried square ND grads and (round) polariser filters using a Kood adapter on the m4/3 version? Finally, the mZD 9-18mm has a 52mm filter thread. What size Kood filter holder would work for ND grad filters (i.e. could I get away with the smallest A-type)?

Thanks for any help, particularly around question 3, as it's really hard to tell from pictures how sturdy the lens is. Maybe the larger 4/3 version is much stronger?

Cheers,

Nick

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, surprisingly good... no concerns whatsoever on IQ compared with the 4/3rds version.

Yes - night and day difference... the m4/3rds version uses a completely different focusing mechanism, silent and fast. There's a fair bit of ziz zizzing goes on with the 4/3rds lens on a Pen.

I haven't tried a filter yet on the mZD 9-18... but it appears to be built to a good level above that of the mZD 14-42 - not much play anywhere in the lens barrel, and the end doesn't rotate with focusing.

The 4/3rds version would certainly be worth considering if you're running a 4/3rds DSLR as your primary camera, with a Pen as a backup... but I doubt that you'd use an E-PL1/P2 as a backup considering the IQ is so good.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  3. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I only have the MFT version and I think it is a great lens. I use it most of the time - probably around 90% of my photos since getting the lens a couple of months ago have been using it.

I have a mix of Olympus and Panasonic lenses. The 9-18mm is probably the fastest focusing lens of the lot. I use it MF quite a bit so focus speed is rarely an issue for me anyway.

The AF motor in the M.Zuiko 14-42 lens simply isn't strong enough for a Cokin holder. The front element rotates with focusing and it even rotates a little zooming. It is easy to knock the front of the lens on the 14-42 which will knock out your focus anyway (here I am talking about using it MF). The M.Zuiko gives great image quality and will focus nice and close but it is a crap lens with filters. Essentially a no-go zone.

I use the M.Zuiko 9-18mm zoom with a Cokin P holder and filters. I stack filters. Works fine. While the A series filter would probably be OK, I would suggest you use the P series. If you already have A series filters, then you can get an adapter to take those in the P series holder. Don't know if that works well or not.

I would go for the larger size as it gives you more room to play when moving grad filters up and down.

From what I can tell, the Kood filter holder is essentially the same as the Tian Ya holder you can pick up on eBay and is sold by the million. It is a knock-off of the Cokin holder. I have had mine for around 6 months and have noticed it is starting to become a little loose. I will be replacing it with the Cokin holder. It is a pity that Cokin don't make a metal holder for the P series. HiTech do but it costs close to GBP 50 which is fairly steep and it looks like it doesn't take the standard adapter plates either.

You are welcome Nick. I have found the 9-18mm zoom to be a ripper of a lens. Well made, well controlled flare, sturdy even though it is a telescoping lens. It is only a 2-section lens so that helps a lot. The only issue with the 14-42 is the front focusing. It they built it with internal or rear focusing it would have been on issues with it for me. I think Olympus wanted to prove a point by making the most compact standard lens possible (which they did).

Check out my other posts. You will see many examples from the M.Zuiko 9-18mm lens. It is definitely a keeper.

Cheers

PeterB666

• Like Like x 2
  4. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I wish that Olympus would re-engineer their mZD 14-42 using the focusing mechanism of the mZD 9-18 and mZD 14-150... oh, and while they're at it, turn it into an mZD 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

5. Leedsgreen

Leedsgreen Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010
    Brian and Peter,

Thanks very much for your help and your detailed answers. Much appreciated. I got confused between Kood and Cokin, and actually already have Cokin type A filters but can see upgrading to type P no problem. (I imagine the type A will be too small and cuase vignetting)? It's great that the mZD 9-18mm is strong enough to hold them etc. Mmmm, it's certainly a tempting idea...

Thanks again,

Nick

6. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I am more modest.

I am sure Olympus could engineer a nice compact 14-35mm f/2.8 constant aperture zoom. A 12-48mm f/2.8-4 would be acceptable too. I wish Olympus would take the hint.

:43: :thumbup:

7. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, either of those would be fine also - provided the IQ and focusing speed is there. :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.