Olympus mZD 45mm f/1.8 First Impressions Review at DPReview

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

DPReview just published a "First Impressions" review along with full-resolution sample images from the new Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens. It's nice to see DPReview adopting an informal user perspective report here to complement the technical reviews for which they are known.

Link: Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 45mm F1.8 first impressions and samples: Digital Photography Review

The Olympus 45mm lens is available for pre-order at Amazon.

Pre-order link: <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058PL9QG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=amipho-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B0058PL9QG">Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8 Lens at Amazon</a>http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=amipho-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B0058PL9QG&camp=217145&creative=399373" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />

[I]The above link contains our affiliate code. Your price is unaffected, and a referral fee (2-4% of your purchase) is paid to us by the retailer. Please note: For us to get credit for the referral, you must click our link prior to placing any items in your "shopping cart". Thanks for supporting Mu-43.com![/I]
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Thanks Amin, I'm sorely tempted :)
  3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    No, that didn't make my lens lust any easier to live with. :mad: :biggrin: Thanks for the link though. :2thumbs:
  4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Seems to confirm the good qualities of the lens. Now if Amazon would only start shipping that thing ...
  5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    and b&h =)
  6. jyap

jyap Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It's like all the review shots of this lens I see are awesome. It's too bad it's a 90mm or so equivalent on 35mm terms... Works good for concerts shots though.
  7. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Even if a digital lens sounds pretty nice, I don't think it would substitute my OM Zuiko 50mm F/1.8.
    I really love using the manual focus, even if that means that sometimes I do miss a shot or two.
    As for sharpness, I am sure this would be much sharper (and it is), but I am also loving that softness of the 50mm!
    And, moreover, I would use that money to buy an old 50mm F/1.4 or even F/1.2!

It looks like a very good lens for a very good price though!
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    And Adorama :)

One thing about B&H is that they stopped taking pre-orders once they got as many orders as they thought they could fulfill within a reasonable period of time.
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    ah, so that's what they do? glad I got in on it already =)
  10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    wait, does that also explain the charge on my credit card already? I hadn't realized they charged me on the day I pre-ordered =/

edit: just realized I checked out through paypal, that might be the issue. they tweeted me to say they charge when they ship.
  12. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I wasn't aware that they pre-charged on my Credit Card as well till I got my bill today.. LOL.. I guess they need to do that in order to avoid a rash of pre-orders that my go default.. in other words, I could order 20 of them and buy 1.. I see there point as a businessman..
  13. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    B&H is a CLASS act.. no doubt.. VERY, VERY good customer service and very honorable..
  14. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Huh, now I am going to have to double check my credit card statement. I had thought that B&H had quit charging at preorder (authorization only) a couple months ago. I understand they don't want people canceling preorders, possibly when another vendor ships more quickly, but I am not going to preorder if it means them holding on to my money for weeks before shipment.
  15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I don't think anyone is debating that. It's just, most pre-order practices do not place a full out charge on your credit. It's usually a small deposit or just a pre-authorization (they can tie up your credit line, but not actually charge you. though, not sure how long they can hold that).

So it was a bit surprising to see that on my statement.
  16. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    As a panasonic gf1 user this this is a greatly useful review.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    I found B&H very frustrating a couple of years ago when trying to buy an Olympus flash that was usually on back order. Rather than processing the order, they would send an email when stock arrived and then you would need to complete the transaction. Being on the other side of the world, I was never able to read the email for a few hours (as I would be asleep when it was sent). By the time I could re-do the order, all stock gone again. I even tried emailing them re next shipment to no avail. After 3 in-stock messages and no stock, I went elsewhere.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  18. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I don't doubt B&H is a respectable store. However, their practice of charging the credit card BEFORE shipping rubs me the wrong way. This is not the standard practice of most stores. (I had pre-ordered the E-P3 and they had charged me, months before it shipped. I had eventually cancelled as I got it from Olympus directly instead later down the line).

So, I'm going with Adorama from now on.
  19. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010

Amusing thing with the €/$ parity fluctuations,is last time i cancelled an order on BH i got more € back than they charged me earlier:smile: including my bank change commission .
  20. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I generally go Amazon and Adorama first. Although BH has plenty of my $$ too.