Olympus MOV Codec

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by MajorMagee, Sep 6, 2013.

1. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Has anyone discovered a Codec (or some other trick) that will let Windows Live Movie Maker in Windows 7 open the new HD Olympus MOV files?

2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Okay, found it. Buried in Olympus Viewer 3 is the option to save the file as MP4 instead of MOV, and then it can be opened in Windows Media Player and Windows Live Movie Maker.

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I just discovered that this conversion cuts the file off after the first 7 min without any options to split the file. So, I back to looking for a way to convert the MOV files into something that can be edited.

4. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    You might try a third party media converter. I use something called iSkysoft Media Converter that had always worked well converting MOV files to other formats. I am on Mac systems, and have not used the software on PC to know if it works as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I haven't used it recently, but there used to be a program called "Any Video Converter". I had luck with it converting any number of formats to other formats. You might give it a try: http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10661456.html

There's a Pro version for $30, but I never needed more than the free version.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am a Mac user and do video as part of my job thus I have to convert from various formats to MOV all the time{other way from you}. The program I use is called "MPEG Streamclip" and there is a Windows version of it. Here is the link to download it.

http://www.squared5.com/

There are many others as well.

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Most of the freeware converters seem to be loaded with malicious Adware. I tried several and they didn't successfully convert the Oly files (I.e. no audio) I finally found one that seems to be relatively free from the junk and works okay called Smart Converter. www.shedworx.com