1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus MMF-3 adapter compatible with Panasonic milc?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tadwil, Apr 15, 2016.

1. tadwil

tadwil New to Mu-43

Oct 8, 2015
    Does the Olympus MMF-3 adapter and Olympus 4/3 lenses work well with Panasonic m4/3 cameras? I am looking at lens options and this interesting adaptercame up in my search.

2. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    The autofocus performs very poorly on every body except the Olympus E-M1.

They will eventually focus, but it is a matter of seconds not milliseconds.

3. tadwil

tadwil New to Mu-43

Oct 8, 2015
    Okay, that's good to know. I guess an offshore 4/3 to m4/3 adapter and focusing manually would be the better option - is anyone using any of these 3rd party adapter with their 4/3 lenses on m4/3 bodies?

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

no, you need the electronic adapter so you can control the aperture and the large majority of 4/3 lenses are electronic focus by wire, even in MF mode. So you get slow MF too!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    1. The mmf3 will work, aside from slow AF on most 4/3 lenses.

2. Panasonic makes a cheaper adapter that lacks weather sealing.
    AF will still be slow.

Barry

6. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Why does a focus by wire affect the speed at which you can manually focus? Isn't it you just twisting the ring that drives it, therefor the speed at which you twist is the determining parameter?
    I'm confused, please inform me :)

7. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    I didn't think Four Thirds lenses are focus by wire. Before the Supersonic Wave Drive lenses came out, they were mechanically coupled with a clutch you'd switch in/out with the AF/MF switch on the lens.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Depends on the lens. My 50-200 SWD is mechanical but my 150/2 is focus by wire. I also believe the non SWD 50-200 is focus by wire but that I'm not 100% sure of.

9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Correct, the non-SWD 50-200 is focus by wire.

Having said that, it is not slow to MF. It's very easy to quickly MF the lens.

10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes, but the ability to make fine movements and stop exactly where you want is limited just as it is for the AF. You can do it, it is just not as nice as it is with mechanically linked focus or with the m4/3 lenses.

The main point of my post was to say that you need an electronic adapter for 4/3 lenses, not to debate the speed at which you can manual focus.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Yes i realise that was your point, but i've been looking at 4/3s glass with the idea of mostly using manual focus, so you had poked my curiosity ;) (thx for the info!)

12. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Because of the focus by wire design of most of the lenses I really would not consider them for manual focusing. Compared to mechanical focusing there is just no comparison. You are better off picking up some canon FD lenses to use for manual focusing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Wrong stick. ;) The SWD lenses are the ones that are mechanically coupled. I am not aware of any 4/3rds lenses that had a clutch of any sort and the only "Olympus" lens that had a AF/MF switch was the 70-300mm which because of that switch has always been rumored to have been manufactured by Sigma for Olympus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Interesting to know. I'm pretty new to the Four Thirds lenses, actually I'm not sure I'll get any more other than the 50-200mm SWD I have (yes, the only one I have is SWD hence my misunderstanding). Might look for a Sigma 105mm someday.

15. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Get the 150mm f/2.0, well worth the money. Then get the 35-100mm f/2.0, next on my list.

16. tadwil

tadwil New to Mu-43

Oct 8, 2015
    I am so used to using adapted lenses with aperture rings that I forgot about the lack of aperture rings on modern 4/3 lenses. Which electronic adapter will give me the basic aperture control, I assume any of the Olympus and Panasonic oem adapters but how about this one: AF Adapter For 4/3 Lens To Olympus Panasonic Micro 4/3 MFT DMW-MA1 MMF1 2 3 Has anyone been able to use this adapter to control the aperture on their 4/3 lens?

17. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I have only used the Olympus MMF-3 and personally it is the only one I would use. The reason is because it is weather sealed and I shoot so much in the rain that I need a weather sealed system. Others here may have used 3rd party and better answer your question.

18. tadwil

tadwil New to Mu-43

Oct 8, 2015
    Weather seal is a non-issue for me, as my G6 is not a WR body. Certainly MMF-3 is desirable but too costly at this point, maybe someday.

19. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Why are you looking at 4/3 lenses to use as manual focus on a Panny camera? If you plan to eventually get an EM1 to use the lenses on I can understand, focus by wire sucks for manual focus. It would be cheaper to get some old Nikons with aperture ring or Canon FD lenses and use real mechanical focus lenses. Even my 50-200 SWD which does have mechanical focus is terrible compared to my FD 400mm or 105mm Lester Dine.

Just curious

20. tadwil

tadwil New to Mu-43

Oct 8, 2015
    I don't find focus by wire lenses to be all that terrible in MF. Are the native m4/3 Panny lenses focus by wire? The MF on the 45-200 serviceable and the native Pentax Q lenses are quite usable as well in MF.

Why would an EM1 be any better, skellington replied that AF with MMF-3 is slow - measured in second - is the AF speed any better with the EM1 and 4/3 lenses? I am hoping to find some better than average lenses at below average prices, given that 4/3 mount is an abandoned mount format.