Olympus MMF-2 vs Viltrox JY-43F

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pjcard, Aug 30, 2012.

1. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    I had a faulty lens recently, and to rule out the JY-43F as the cause I was lucky enough to be able to borrow a MMF-2 to try out in it's place. Both adapters were fine, and their shape and size were identical (just with different logos). In actual fact, even the external and internal packaging was identical in shape and size, again just with different printing.

What surprised me was that the JY-43F feels far more solid than the MMF-2.

I thought I'd mention this as probably few people will be in a position to compare, and a common complaint was that the MMF-2 felt flimsy. I don't have the JY-43F on me now, but I suspect that the extra weight might be due to it having a metal body compared with the MMF-2's plastic one. I'll check later. In any case, it was probably an order of magnitude heavier.

That said, I've never heard of an MMF-2 shearing with a heavy lens, so perhaps the fact that it's lighter makes it the better choice for lugging around. The JF-43F is also a third of the price, but you might need to return it a few times to get one with a tight fit and correctly machined contacts (I didn't, but I've heard of quite a few people who did).

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The MMF-2 is Olympus's second generation cheapo copy, the MMF-1 was all metal and twice te quality of the latter. The MMF-1 seemed to be a rebranded copy of the Panasonic version, again higher quality than the MMF-2.

3. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Ah, that explains it then, the JY-43F must be a copy of the MMF-1, rather than the MMF-2.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    My Panasonic DMW-MA1 has a plastic shell, with metal front and back mating surfaces. There are metal leaf springs under the tabs for the lens side, just like the camera bodies. It's probably the same exact piece.

BTW, does this mean, pjcard, that your 70-300 failure to infinity focus in your other thread is due to a bummer lens?

5. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Yup, that's my conclusion. Sorry forgot to update the the other thread, I'll do that now.

6. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Hey, I've got both! :)

Just wanted to add that the JY-43F mounts tighter than the MMf-2. On the mmf-2 there's more play between the body and between the lens. I don't actually have any 4/3 lenses to try the quality of the pins because I only have Rokinon lenses on 4/3 mount though.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The price is good on the Viltrox, but didn't I see something about problems with the OM-D working with this?

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Interesting. My Panasonic DMW-MA1 has the same problem. Sometimes it loses contact between lens and body due to looseness. Hardly impressive given the price.

I see no reason to pay full price for these adapters. Considering the functionality and build quality (or lack thereof) Olympus and Panasonic should be ashamed for charging $100-150 for these...

DH

9. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    I've actually got a suspicion that the tightness of the Viltrox is due to manufacturing imperfections. The mount is warped or something because my lenses don't sit flush/flat on it. Still, the mmf-2 is so light that it seems like a plastic toy- hardly worth all that money methinks.

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I am Considering buying one of these Viltrox adapters.

11. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

After much worry, I bought one of the viltrox adapters for a 70-300mm lens.

My copy is excellent. It fits very snug and solid on both sides (lens and body). There's no looseness at all.

I am very impressed and would buy it again, no regrets.