Olympus Mini Flash (FL-14) for $17.77 New (EDIT, now $19.99 OBO)

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Limited usefulness to this little flash (it's like a big version of the clip-on accessory flash offered with some Panasonic models) but it looks nice, with a metal shell, and it's only $17.77 or best offer on eBay from Roberts Camera: Olympus FL-14 Electronic Shoe Mount Flash FL14 50332169999 | eBay

Might be worth it for those with Olympus models without a flash. I might pick one up for my flash-less Ricoh GR III and just adjust shutter speed since the manual mode is only on full power. It's too cheap to resist such a classic look. Free shipping as well.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Gee, I though getting one for $25 (original price was an insane $170) was a good deal. I might have gotten mine from Roberts, in fact.

For cross brand use, it has a non-TTL auto mode that will work with any camera. I wish more mfrs would do this.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
For cross brand use, it has a non-TTL auto mode that will work with any camera. I wish more mfrs would do this.
Sort of.

It doesn't have a way to input camera exposure settings for a real auto mode. So it has a table of what you can set your camera ISO and aperture to based on subject distance. It's more of a "guided manual", than it is auto mode. Still for the OP, it should be better than just guess-chimping with manual mode.

You'd want to print out the chart on page 4 of the manual, though, and stash it with the flash: https://cs2.olympus-imaging.jp/jp/support/dlc/archive/man_fl14.pdf

I had a Nikon flash with a true universal auto mode. The flash had aperture and ISO settings. As long as the camera and flash aperture and ISO setting on flash and camera matched, the exposure was as good as E-TTL. Those are very nice flash to have for cross compatibility or off camera work!

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
That's some cool information for dialing in settings, and with a leaf shutter I can also use shutter speed for quickly controlling lighting. Excited to try it out. The new GR has gotten a lot of pushback due to cutting the flash, but this should provide somewhat better performance than the flash on the previous model for daytime fill flash as well as low light.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It doesn't have a way to input camera exposure settings for a real auto mode. So it has a table of what you can set your camera ISO and aperture to based on subject distance. It's more of a "guided manual", than it is auto mode.
No, it's an auto mode. Maybe you never used auto flashes as they started back in the 1960s.

For a given ISO, you simply set your lens to a particular aperture. The flash does the rest, shuttng off once it sees enough light reflected back from the subject. The flash has (and needs) no real knowledge of ISO or anything else. If the table in the manual indicated f2.8 for ISO 100, for ISO 200 it would be f4 and for ISO 400 it would be f5.6....think about it. That's how the Auto mode on the FL-14 works, as does the FL-600R.

Put the FL-14 on any camera, set the appropriate f-stop and shoot away.

I had a Nikon flash with a true universal auto mode. The flash had aperture and ISO settings. As long as the camera and flash aperture and ISO setting on flash and camera matched, the exposure was as good as E-TTL.
I had flashes like that, too. Guess what, the indicators on the flash simply provide the same information as the chart in the manual. The FL-14 is so small there is no room for any indicator, but The FL-600R works like your Nikon flash.

Last edited:

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Picked it up today, managed to put batteries in and grab a quick fill flash shot on the Ricoh.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Slightly edited in VSCO, mainly to convert the RAW. No levels adjustment. The close end of the trellis was in shade with the far end in direct sun. This is auto mode, though I am going to have to play around with metering a lot to understand how to handle exposure conveniently.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Terrific price for that flash. It is about twice as powerful as the little one that came with my E-M1 which still sells for something like $50 from the main retailers. Actually maybe it is 4x as powerful since it is GN14 at ISO100 vs. GN7 with the little one that came with the E-M1 (I say 4x since light falls off as a square of the distance)?

Too bad I already have enough hotshoe flashes I don't really use including the little one that came with my E-M1 which I might have used a couple times in the last several years.

shnitz

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm surprised that this isn't getting more love. I have an E-M1, and my brother runs an E-M1ii. Since they have clip-on flashes, you need one anyway if you want to use fill, and this one is more powerful, and drains the 2 AA in the flash, instead of your camera's battery. That alone makes it worth the price. For under $20, I didn't even try to counteroffer and waste my time for less than $2. It's a brand new Olympus product that is less than I wasted on drinks when I randomly met up with friends yesterday afternoon. It's a no-brainer to keep in the camera drawer, even if I only use it once per year, it will have paid for itself compared to what the rest of my kit costs.

Limited usefulness to this little flash (it's like a big version of the clip-on accessory flash offered with some Panasonic models) but it looks nice, with a metal shell, and it's only $17.77 or best offer on eBay from Roberts Camera: Olympus FL-14 Electronic Shoe Mount Flash FL14 50332169999 | eBay

Might be worth it for those with Olympus models without a flash. I might pick one up for my flash-less Ricoh GR III and just adjust shutter speed since the manual mode is only on full power. It's too cheap to resist such a classic look. Free shipping as well.

Current price is $17.57. My offer of $16 was accepted. Thanks!

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I'd encourage those of you who can't take advantage of the Roberts Camera deal to look around, I've seen a lot of good prices for this flash.

After a bit of use (no Olympus camera, so no TTL, just leaving it in auto) I can confirm this is a cool little flash. Very well built, the unique auto mode works well when you stick to the included chart for settings, it will just be harder to frame because your live view image will look dark. I think most cameras boost the live view during focusing at least, so it's like you get a peek but after AF it gets darker.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom