1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus Mini Flash (FL-14) for $17.77 New (EDIT, now $19.99 OBO)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by agentlossing, Jun 4, 2019.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Limited usefulness to this little flash (it's like a big version of the clip-on accessory flash offered with some Panasonic models) but it looks nice, with a metal shell, and it's only $17.77 or best offer on eBay from Roberts Camera: Olympus FL-14 Electronic Shoe Mount Flash FL14 50332169999 | eBay

Might be worth it for those with Olympus models without a flash. I might pick one up for my flash-less Ricoh GR III and just adjust shutter speed since the manual mode is only on full power. It's too cheap to resist such a classic look. Free shipping as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    FYI I made an offer and was counter-offered at $16, so they will knock off a dollar or two.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Definitely a bargain if you have a use case for it.

4. Great little flash unit! I use mine on my E-M1 and GX8.

• Like Like x 1
  5. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Gee, I though getting one for $25 (original price was an insane $170) was a good deal. I might have gotten mine from Roberts, in fact.

For cross brand use, it has a non-TTL auto mode that will work with any camera. I wish more mfrs would do this.

6. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That's good news!

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Sort of.

It doesn't have a way to input camera exposure settings for a real auto mode. So it has a table of what you can set your camera ISO and aperture to based on subject distance. It's more of a "guided manual", than it is auto mode. Still for the OP, it should be better than just guess-chimping with manual mode.

You'd want to print out the chart on page 4 of the manual, though, and stash it with the flash: https://cs2.olympus-imaging.jp/jp/support/dlc/archive/man_fl14.pdf

I had a Nikon flash with a true universal auto mode. The flash had aperture and ISO settings. As long as the camera and flash aperture and ISO setting on flash and camera matched, the exposure was as good as E-TTL. Those are very nice flash to have for cross compatibility or off camera work!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That's some cool information for dialing in settings, and with a leaf shutter I can also use shutter speed for quickly controlling lighting. Excited to try it out. The new GR has gotten a lot of pushback due to cutting the flash, but this should provide somewhat better performance than the flash on the previous model for daytime fill flash as well as low light.

9. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    No, it's an auto mode. Maybe you never used auto flashes as they started back in the 1960s.

For a given ISO, you simply set your lens to a particular aperture. The flash does the rest, shuttng off once it sees enough light reflected back from the subject. The flash has (and needs) no real knowledge of ISO or anything else. If the table in the manual indicated f2.8 for ISO 100, for ISO 200 it would be f4 and for ISO 400 it would be f5.6....think about it. That's how the Auto mode on the FL-14 works, as does the FL-600R.

Put the FL-14 on any camera, set the appropriate f-stop and shoot away.

I had flashes like that, too. Guess what, the indicators on the flash simply provide the same information as the chart in the manual. The FL-14 is so small there is no room for any indicator, but The FL-600R works like your Nikon flash.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Picked it up today, managed to put batteries in and grab a quick fill flash shot on the Ricoh.

2019-06-10 01.19.05 1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Slightly edited in VSCO, mainly to convert the RAW. No levels adjustment. The close end of the trellis was in shade with the far end in direct sun. This is auto mode, though I am going to have to play around with metering a lot to understand how to handle exposure conveniently.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.