Olympus Micro Four Thirds Retro Bag Medium

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by cstevens, Feb 28, 2010.

1. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Since growing my M4/3 kit I have been looking for a stealth bag to carry it all in for those days out with the family. When at work I normally have the GF1 & 20mm in its optech case thrown into my rucksack, but for urbexing and family stuff I wanted something different.

I have a few lowepro bags, but none small enough yet big enough. Then, after seeing the SMALL version of the Olympus Micro Four Thirds Retro Bag in Harrisons, I loved it, soft battered looking leather, very very retro, nice and padded...but only just big enough for a GF1 & 20mm.

I took a chance (based on look and feel) and ordered the "Medium" Its great! Its less square than the small, and it fits the GF1, 20mm, 14-45, EVF, batteries, filters, table top tripod and has a bit of room to spare.

Definitely worth a look if you are looking for a small stealthy case thats big enough to hold a few things without looking "lowepro boxy"

[​IMG]

http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/21693_pen-camera_micro_four_thirds_retro_bag_22045.htm

Good price too, got mine for £27 delivered.

• Like Like x 6
  2. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    Wow this is really nice. Can you post photos of the inside of it? I hope they have it here in SG.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Check out this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?p=4140&highlight=retro#post4140 Chow Monkey bought one and seems to really like his, too. Sorry, in my enthusiasm to let you know someone else had this nice bag, I realize that he really hasn't posted too much about it except that he likes it quite a bit.

It's good that you started this thread solely about the bag so others will be able to spot it easily.

4. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Whoops didnt see that thread - kinda missed it due to the title.

Will try to get some photos together of the bag with kit inside

5. BBW

Thanks cstevens, by the way I've been meaning to say how much I like your avatar.

Of course you wouldn't see it in that thread, I only remember it because I posted in it and remembered Chow Monkey's bag, etc... It's kind of an all encompassing thread :biggrin: while yours is specific.

6. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Sadly, I can't find this bag from any US retailers at the moment.

7. Raimondi

Raimondi Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Really want to have one but not available in USA nor Asia. Anyone can get one and resell to me or we can do a forum group purchase here?

8. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Just taken a few shots as requested.

Everything about to be packed
    [​IMG]

Everything packed, still plenty of room
    [​IMG]

Couple with bag closed with camera to show rough size
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. BBW

Very nice fit!

10. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Nice looking bag. What's it made from? I'm assuming, at the price, it's not real leather.

11. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I cant find a "made with leather" sticker on it anywhere, so I suspect you are correct. I am not 100% that its not leather, but like you say for the price surely it cant be?

That said, its an incredible fake, it really looks and feels like soft worn leather, I had a coat a long time ago that felt exactly the same.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

I also am/was very interested in this bag but unfortunately it is only available in Europe and the UK. I am as an alternative looking at the National Geographic bag which is similar and is available here.

13. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Bill, I'll fly one out to you if you pay my expenses, Business Class will be fine!

14. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I dont mind flying cattle class, I will bring you 2 :)

15. Bill Gordon

Hello Craig
    Thanks for the offer.....:)>))....however I think that I will reconsider that particular bag. I have been looking at the National Geographic bag and I think that it offers a slightly larger bag for room to include the camera and 2 lenses...I think....I have yet to see it in the flesh!! Of course, if you would like to join me in a pint or two I will be availabe from May 3rd under the 7th and then May 18th to 24 when I return to the World Champion Gold Medal Country!! Gosh, how proud I am of our young people...imagine...we beat the Yanks, the Ruskies and all those other countries!!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::clap2::jedi:

I see that you are into Wedding Photography...gosh I did that in the late 40's and on into the early 60's......wot a drag that was!!

16. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I was looking at buying a Domke F5XB for my :43: kit, but I just went with a smaller Crumpler bag. The Nat Geo bags do look nice though.

17. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I have the Domke F5XB and it works great....
    Very small and compact. Holds the G1 & Pen 1 with 2 extra lenses, cards, batteries.
    Great bag

18. Bill Gordon

Hi Bill

I forgot to tell you that I am flying business class with BA!!

19. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    with an EP 2 I wouldn't have assumed anything else

(from a poor G1 user)

20. Bill Gordon