Olympus Menus: Myth vs Reality

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
On another thread, someone said it was because Olympus did not pay or provide Apple to update the RAW converters. That is, not all Apple's fault. Takes two to tango. I dunno. I use Workspace most of the time, so although it's not cutting edge, it's sure to work with ORF files.

I'm hoping that Olympus updates Workspace to be Universal to work with the new M-series Macs. My next one will be an M.
According to the link already posted, OWS is already compatible with the Mx series, Walter. Whether it is or not is another matter!

Real Name
Walter
According to the link already posted, OWS is already compatible with the Mx series, Walter. Whether it is or not is another matter!
I suspect that it's Intel native running under Rosetta 2. A lot of Intel native apps can still run under Rosetta 2. In that sense, it's compatible, but I doubt very much that it is a Universal binary with both Intel and M native code.
https://screenrant.com/apple-mac-iphone-universal-apps-explained/

Similar to the situation when Apple was transitioning from PowerPC to Intel. PowerPC apps could run on Intel Macs using the original Rosetta.

https://www.apple.com/mac/m1/

Universal apps
Every app that comes with Mac, and every app made by Apple, is optimized for M1. Apps like Pages, Keynote, GarageBand, and iMovie show how amazing performance can be with M1. Run up to 3x more instrument and effect plug‑ins with Logic Pro.11 Fly through tasks with Final Cut Pro, like rendering a complex timeline up to 6x faster.12 Incredibly fast and more capable than ever, native apps are the most powerful apps for M1. And the new Universal platform means these apps support both Intel‑based and Apple silicon–based Mac systems. Many developers are already delivering new apps with game‑changing performance and capabilities. Like color‑correcting 6K video — in real time — with Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve.

Rosetta 2
With the introduction of Rosetta 2, M1 and macOS Big Sur seamlessly run apps that haven’t yet transitioned to Universal versions. So without updating, you can keep working on Fusion360 projects or reach the next level in your favorite game. And thanks to Metal and M1, some of the most graphically demanding apps perform better under Rosetta 2 than they did running natively on previous Mac systems with integrated graphics.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
On another thread, someone said it was because Olympus did not pay or provide Apple to update the RAW converters. That is, not all Apple's fault. Takes two to tango. I dunno. I use Workspace most of the time, so although it's not cutting edge, it's sure to work with ORF files.
What?! The camera maker should pay for the software company for the compatibility?!! WTH?! That should be the other way around if someone needs to pay someone. LOL. Apple and their greediness never seizes to amaze me...

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
What this thread clearly shows is that we're all wired just that little bit different, and probably use things in different ways, so what is "logical" and/or "understandable" for some will never be for others. I can eventually learn my way around the Oly menu's, but I'm never going to love them in their current layout (that said, the models with "C" modes on the dials are far less problematic for me, so it's not just the menu's as such, but rather enjoying a camera depends on many individual factors unique to each user). For my brain, they are unnecessarily complicated and often opaque with strange choices. Panasonics make more intuitive sense to me.

And yet, I still use the Em5, Em5iii and Pen-F. And the G9. And the GX8. Because I enjoy the overall experience of all of them, despite some frustrations. I find other things - like substandard evf's, lack of weathersealing , articulating screens etc - rule out or rule in camera's for me. I learn to tolerate the menu's. Grudgingly.....

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Good heavens, Walter.

Apple users can now do what windows users have been able to do since Windows NT 3.10, in about 1992 (?).

In Windows, it's basically covered by Compatibility Mode.
It's not the same thing.

Windows has always run on X86 family processors. Even the current Core i family processors are x86 compatible for the most part, the apps do not need to be recompiled since they still support both 32 and 64 bit (unlike Apple). Compatibility mode is for the OS, not the processor. The only glitch Windows had to deal with was when they removed the original 640KB RAM limit...that was back in the Windows 3 days.

Apple has made processor switches a few times, first to Power PC, then to Intel, now to M. Each time they had a stopgap compatibility solution for a few years which was eventually dropped once vendors were all shipping apps designed for the newer processor.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom