Olympus Menus: Myth vs Reality

Photon

Mu-43 Regular
Overall I am fine with Olympus menus. I would not call them user friendly, but I think that it is really on par with other cameras I have used.

The issue I do have with Olympus menus is that there are setting that interact in ways that are not intuitive.

One example occurs when you are shooting raw and turn on high resolution mode. If you want to shoot high resolution raw you must go into the menu and select raw again (at least on the EM5 mkii). I also ran into a setting that disabled the ability manually set the flash (not electronic shutter). It took a while to figure that one out.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
I hope that the next OM-D gen cameras will feature high-res rear screen thus they can expand the SCP with new items. I also had a suggestion to equip high-end OM-Ds with different SCP item layout than what they have now on PEN cameras. We already have different mode dials on the E-M1 series, so the SCP should be the next. The idea behind this was that users of the E-M1/E-M5 lines shoot in RAW and dont need all/majority of these JPEG related items. On daily basis.
Jon, I have always shot RAW + LSF JPEG, and use them for different purposes. I don't think that I'm the only one who does.

Last edited:

StirlingBartholomew

Mu-43 Regular
Myset, Set, Reset layout and instructions are difficult to unpack. Every time I need to add a new function to my standard Myset1, I need to review the instructions again. Using a right arrow key to capture an image of your configuration is sub-optimal. I go six months or more without messing with this. It isn't something I do often.

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
John. I shoot LN jpegs. The default setting on my cam. I prefer these for the small file sizes and how quick they are. In the past I shot a whole bunch of RAW pics, mainly because all the advice was I’d better do it. Now I’ve got some pretty good pics that I don’t want to delete, but I don’t want the RAW files, I want to convert them to a smaller sized jpeg.
Buggered if I can do this mate. I’ve tried several times now, but can’t do it. I got a older 2012 13” MacBook. Got any ideas?

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
John. I shoot LN jpegs. The default setting on my cam. I prefer these for the small file sizes and how quick they are. In the past I shot a whole bunch of RAW pics, mainly because all the advice was I’d better do it. Now I’ve got some pretty good pics that I don’t want to delete, but I don’t want the RAW files, I want to convert them to a smaller sized jpeg.
Buggered if I can do this mate. I’ve tried several times now, but can’t do it. I got a older 2012 13” MacBook. Got any ideas?
What software do you have at present?

Personally, I would never delete any RAW file. The huge difference between JPEGs produced by Photoshop CS2 and CC 2020 convinces me of the wisdom of always keeping the RAW file. Disks are really cheap. RAW files are irreplaceable.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I’ve tried several times now, but can’t do it. I got a older 2012 13” MacBook. Got any ideas?

Drag and drop the ORF files into iPhoto (or the newer Photos app if that is what you have), make any edits you want before creating JPGs, add keywords if you like. Then File ->Export... and export them as JPG files. You will have options to dictate the JPG sizes.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
After 15 years using C-5060/7070, I'm still getting used to the physical controls of E-M1 II, let alone the menus, 15 months later. It it because lack of "intuition"? Seems like too much "intuition" to me.

Same with using Windows desktop exclusively all my life, and recently got Android tablet with touchscreen (no physical home or back buttons) and I still have some trouble with the interface. My mom might have trouble using my tablet consider her's and her smartphone has more physical buttons. She would definitely have trouble using a Windows desktop. It is about "intuition"?

These aren't just modern electronic devices, even digital cameras are basically computers now, I don't think using them has much to do with "intuition." Photography as a medium of art and communication is something that requires learning and practice and skill as well. Of course, maybe some things could be more clear, like what the fuck that green box on the LCD for. But, whatever, I knowingly paid $1600 CAD for a complex camera body. For something more simple and easy to use, I should have just paid $200 or something for a smartphone. That's my mistake so I'm gonna have to live with it and not complain too much about it.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
John,I know they’re irreplaceable, I’ve been trying for 12 mths now to change them to jpeg... lol
Thanks Pakky, I’ve get right to the end and it gives me some lame excuse for not exporting the pic. I must remember to write it down and ask in the computer section. I’m not very good with computer. Right after asking John, I had a thought. That if I edit the pic with affinity, then share it to Photos, it might do it automatically... I’ll give that a go, it might just work. Imagine how long it will take to do a hundred odd pics!!! OMG!
John, I don’t know what to do with a RAW pic, so all a bit pointless at my end. If only it was as simple as an Olympus menu! Thanks

Real Name
Walter
Drag and drop the ORF files into iPhoto (or the newer Photos app if that is what you have), make any edits you want before creating JPGs, add keywords if you like. Then File ->Export... and export them as JPG files. You will have options to dictate the JPG sizes.

Please note that Apple Photos can't process ORF files from the EM1 III or EM5 III because they haven't updated their RAW formats to take them yet.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211241

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
In the past I shot a whole bunch of RAW pics, mainly because all the advice was I’d better do it. Now I’ve got some pretty good pics that I don’t want to delete, but I don’t want the RAW files, I want to convert them to a smaller sized jpeg.

Olympus Workspace should be able to do this with no trouble, including resizing, and in batches (I believe).

Not a recommendation as I don't use it personally (or only used once or twice as an experiment), but it's free and if it's a one-off project you have to convert some raw files, should serve.

https://app.olympus-imaging.com/olympusworkspace/en/
https://support.olympus-imaging.com/owdownload/

Last edited:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Say what you want about Oly menus but so far I've seen and used menus from Canon (5DII), Nikon (D7000) and Panasonic (GM1, GX800) and the Oly menus are faaaaar more logical. And even if they were worse the absolutely superb SCP would compensate the shortcomings.

And to be honest I don't ever want my main camera to be one without the SCP menu. It's THE feature I'm not willing to give up on.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
Jon, I have always shot RAW + LSF JPEG, and use them for different purposes. I don't think that I'm the only one who does.
Misunderstood. Of course there is no reason to cement file type to RAW only. I was pointing out to the JPEG items which are rarely used by RAW shooters such as: gradation, saturation, contrast... Also how often do you change colour space? MyMenu would be a good place for it; it seems all new high-end cameras will freature it.

Say what you want about Oly menus but so far I've seen and used menus from Canon (5DII), Nikon (D7000) and Panasonic (GM1, GX800) and the Oly menus are faaaaar more logical.
You're right. Especially since the E-M1ii when they added the sub category, where A = AF, B = Button, E = Exposuse... And now you also have MyMenu. This is far from "Olympus menus can be overwhelming", which is the favourite DPR criticism of Olympus menus. No longer valid, I would say.

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was pointing out to the JPEG items which are rarely used by RAW shooters such as: gradation, saturation, contrast...
Yes but he was pointing out that many of us here shoot RAW+JPG so we do use those settings to make changed to the "+JPG" half. And of course JPG shooters probably use them all the time. You seem to feel that everyone owing the higher end Oly cameras are all only shooting RAW. I would argue there are probably way more people in the world with Oly cameras shooting JPG only than are shooting RAW only. We here, and on other Olympus or photography specific forums, tend to be more of an exception than the norm I would suspect.

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ivan B
well, for me, the olympus menu is learnable but at a steeper curve. scp is helpful, but that's not the menu.
if i have to rate it from my experience with some other digital cameras with interchangeable lens (tested it, worked with, own, or used to have), so far, it's like this:
- easy to learn, even without reading the manual at the times = canon, nikon and panasonic.
- really need to read the manual = fujifilm
- still confusing, even with the manual = olympus, and sony

On the "easy" list, I'd add Pentax. Maybe the best out there, and definitely better than Olympus. The Olympus ones aren't terrible, but definitely do leave something to be desired from a UX perspective.

Real Name
Walter
I mean it has at least a year since the E-m1 mark III (February 12th, 2020) and E-m5 mark III (October 17th, 2019) were announced. No hurry I guess.
On another thread, someone said it was because Olympus did not pay or provide Apple to update the RAW converters. That is, not all Apple's fault. Takes two to tango. I dunno. I use Workspace most of the time, so although it's not cutting edge, it's sure to work with ORF files.

I'm hoping that Olympus updates Workspace to be Universal to work with the new M-series Macs. My next one will be an M.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom