Olympus Menus: Myth vs Reality

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On my E-M10, enter the Shooting 2 menu to turn RC on, then a different control panel with just the flash controls replaces the SCP on the display.

Ya, on one hand it is very convenient when you want to change the flash setting where you hit OK and now you can adjust something on the remote flash, but now you are basically locked out of all the other setting you previously were able to set via the SCP. As someone new to this particular RC menu, I don't know if this is much of an issue or not. Where I ran into the unfamiliarity of the RC mode the other day is when I was using the RC flash then decided a bit later I want to use the flash on the camera and couldn't at first figure out why it was not firing. I of course checked the flash to be sure it was in TTL mode that I wanted to use. I finally figured out I still had RC mode turned on. A nice firmware feature would have been if an Olympus flash is mounted on a Olympus body that is still in RC mode, to give you some sort of notification on the flash screen telling me it ain't gonna work since both devices are talking to each other.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Sorry, Jason, but I just checked on my E-M1 MkI. It is not only as simple as that, there are help bubbles in case you are confused ...
On the 5iii the anti shock isn't is a preloaded option. You have to dive into the menu, find it, turn it on, then cycle through the scp to it. You also need to know that a Diamond represents anti shock, but of course that is perfectly logical and clear.........

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
On the 5iii the anti shock isn't is a preloaded option. You have to dive into the menu, find it, turn it on, then cycle through the scp to it. You also need to know that a Diamond represents anti shock, but of course that is perfectly logical and clear.........
My response to that is the same as my original response.

When I first get a new camera, I sit with the PDF (or printed copy) and work my way through the full list of menu items.

I even did this with my new-to-me E-PM2 recently.

RTFM really does help, and, no, it is not possible to build as complex an item as a complex modern camera with an interface that an uninformed man in the street can use. Not without making the camera so simple ...

And, I've spent a lifetime writing literally foolproof instructions for accounting systems, computerized accounting (and other) systems, and procedure manuals generally.

I spent a couple of decades as an independent computer trouble shooter of last resort for a couple of Australia's biggest companies. I had a 100% success rate. I would then write up a report on what was wrong, how I fixed it, and what needed to be done to prevent it from recurring.

I also studied ergonomics in psychology.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I go the other way around. I take the new camera. I use it. And if it won't do as I want, I find some way to make it. I might even read a part of the manual. Appendix C. Or something.
Only time I spend time with a manual is if I ordered a new camera and downloaded the manual while waiting for delivery.
Possibly something sticks.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I sleep with the camera under my pillow and absorb all required technical info through ether-based esoteric osmosis transmission via betawaves in my sleep.

That's probably why I prefer rangefinder style cameras, less uncomfortable angles and protrusions.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I sleep with the camera under my pillow and absorb all required technical info through ether-based esoteric osmosis transmission via betawaves in my sleep.

That's probably why I prefer rangefinder style cameras, less uncomfortable angles and protrusions.
Mo' bigger pillows are also helpful. With some of those you can even sleep with Laterna Magicas!

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Having used menus from Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Fuji, I think it's commendable that Olympus trusted the public quite a while before others to really provide so much configurability. With that comes some language issues and some logic issues but it's can be tamed.

I think some people are a bit dramatic. Some bought their Olympus cameras because they wanted such a broad range of customizable options. How did they expect those options to be presented in the menu when some have crossover or different meanings to different people?

I'm sure some synthesizer-heads would laugh at the relative simplicity of our Camera menus compared to their keyboards... (I'm looking at you Korg!)
Like some that travel & aren't happy if they can't get their Maccas there, not prepared to accept that different doesn't mean bad, is still good but different.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
To me in not the menu as such but the understanding / description and application of some of the items.
As an example over the years I have been on this forum there has been a lot of discussion about the auto focus system and how it works by a lot of experienced people often not resulting in consensus of opinion.

Other options like in camera focus stacking could use some guidance. During last year I watched a lot of Olympus raining videos some of which contradicted each other with regards to the initial focus point for a stack. some said pick a mid point and the camera will focus before and after that point, while other said focus on the nearest edge and the camera will take either one or two [depending on the person giving the instructions] in front of that point and the rest behind it. Now some of these were based on EM1.2 and others on EM1.3 so not sure if they instigated something different when they changed from 8 to 15 max shots for a stack ?

I once saw a stack of manuals for a Nikon camera. I think D500 but cant be sure. But you could get a whole suit of manuals for that camera.
What I don't get is why Olympus don't hire one of the good third party manual producers and get a really good set as well and put this to rest. To me it looks like Oly use an engineer to write the manuals which is good for some but not for others.

Anyway I have said too much already, time for me to put this back to bed and just pick up the camera.

Cheers

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ya, on one hand it is very convenient when you want to change the flash setting where you hit OK and now you can adjust something on the remote flash, but now you are basically locked out of all the other setting you previously were able to set via the SCP.
Yes, that is why I wrote "sort of". Not only does it lock out other SCP settings like WB and ISO, it also locks out the flash settings, like redeye, auto vs fill, 2nd curtain, manual, etc. That suggests when using RC you wouldn't use any of those or would be so smart to set that up before turning RC on :whistling:

Settings you seldom use are the problem...scrolling through 15 menus to find them. Why is formatting the card in the Shooting menu and not the Utility menu, like most other cameras? The only reason I can think of is that it's the first option in the first menu that comes up.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
The super control panel is sheer genius.
I hope that the next OM-D gen cameras will feature high-res rear screen thus they can expand the SCP with new items. I also had a suggestion to equip high-end OM-Ds with different SCP item layout than what they have now on PEN cameras. We already have different mode dials on the E-M1 series, so the SCP should be the next. The idea behind this was that users of the E-M1/E-M5 lines shoot in RAW and dont need all/majority of these JPEG related items. On daily basis.

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
Wow what an emotional topic. For me, coming from Panasonic the Olympus menus seem far more logical. I think that the Panasonic menus get less complaints because they are less nested than the Olympus; if you don't know what you are looking for you will eventually run across it simply by scrolling through everything. With Olympus though I feel that most things are grouped together fairly logically. Like John I did read, and do carry a pdf of the manual.

I find the car referance a bit silly. If I got in a car that the user could change the function of almost any control interface in the car I am absolutely certain that I would need to read the manual.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ya, on one hand it is very convenient when you want to change the flash setting where you hit OK and now you can adjust something on the remote flash, but now you are basically locked out of all the other setting you previously were able to set via the SCP. As someone new to this particular RC menu, I don't know if this is much of an issue or not.
Note, you can get access to the other menus like the standard SCP menu by pressing the Info button to cycle between screens. Depending on the camera model, you can also control which screens are displayed.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom