Olympus menus explained

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcl, Oct 28, 2012.

1. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I was looking for information on Shadow Compensation and came across this book. Most of the book is for subscribers only but chapter 3, dealing with menus on an E-P2, is free to view. The menus of the E-P2 being very similar to that of other Olympus models, including the E-M5, I thought others might be interested, especially since the Olympus user guide is so cryptic.

David Busch
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Even better, there's this video that not only explains the menus visually, but also shows how the wireless flash system works, plus the video is FREE:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxFFkZot24I]An In-Depth Look at the Olympus Pen Camera System with Wireless Flash - YouTube[/ame]

For regular readers, yes this link has been posted here before.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. kschles

kschles Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2010
    Laurel, MD; USA
    Bush is coming out with a book specifically about the E-M5 (I believe with a couple of co-authors). I've read that the book should be out fairly soon.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I've been using Olympus digital cameras since the E-System DSLRs, and their menu system has been very similar all the way through, especially since moving from the Kodak CCD generation to the Panasonic NMOS generation. So none of it is cryptic to me, and it's very easy to move on to each new camera they make. However, for those who are not familiar with the Oly system, it can certainly be "different" in many ways and it is great to have a resource which helps to explain it all - dealing with any Olympus model since they are mostly transferable. Once you learn one Oly digital system camera, you've learned them all. :) Thanks for the link!
  5. Region2

Region2 New to Mu-43

Sep 30, 2012
    New York, NY
    I was a little worried about the Olympus menu since I read complaints about it, but just 5 mins made the layout fairly clear. Once you got past some of the few odd hitches, I felt it was laid out very logically. Also hitting the info button to get a bit more...well...info was a nice bonus.