1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Menu

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by photoeagle, Dec 26, 2015.

1. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    i read comments that the menus system on the OM-D Mark10 II, is very involved and very detailed. Making it difficult to master. Would this statement be true or false?

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Like most things - 'It depends'

Theres a lot of settings buried in the menus and it can take a while to get used to the, however based on my experience with Oly, Pana & Nikon menus, this complexity is common across brands.

On the Olympus, the best way to get to grips with the menus is to enable the SCP 'Super Control Panel'. This puts most settings one click away in a single screen overlay.

What settings do you access most often ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    A lot of the menu items also tend to be set and forget in that everyone will have a preference for a particular setting and once you have set it the way you like, you often do not have a reason to go back in and mess with it. So it isn't that bad since only about a third or a quarter of all setting (to pull a percentage estimate out of my butt) are ones you may want to change for different situations. That is where the MySets come in handy if you shoot certain types of scenes often enough to want to reuse a setting set. Others you tend to just learn where they are if you are changing them often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It's true if you own an Olympus camera and haven't spent 10,000 hours mastering the menus. It's false if you own an Olympus camera and have spent 10,000 hours mastering the menus.

Personally, I think spending 10,000 hours mastering playing the oboe, growing potatoes or reciting Hamlet backwards is more worth while.

• Like Like x 1
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes they are complicated and deep. Yes they could be better organized. But also yes many are set once and forget (which may be part of the problem. "Where was that setting?") I would add that while other systems may have their menus better organized, they all have their own issues. I found Sony's at time confusing to determine what a setting did and with Panasonic they disable some options depending on the shooting mode and give little or no indication as to what settings are required to enable them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Personally I love the menu. Olympus is the only company offering such a deeply customizable camera that can be tuned to user style and preference. The real problem is not that they offer lots of options...the problem is most people have never been offered the options before and don't understand what they want or need. So then having to set over 200+ options seems overwhelming. In reality, most of it can be ignored and the camera can be shot like any other camera.

The custom menu is even broken down based on what things are. A menu for "A"utofocus, B menu for "B"utton configuration, C menu for "C"ontinuous shooting options, etc...

It also takes a few minutes to get through a new camera and configure it...or after a firmware upgrade. A lot of people unfortunately don't have the patience required to sit through it.

I just posted an option by option walk through and set up on my blog. Even if you don't care to learn them, just follow what I do and your camera will rock.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    Tony, thank you very much for your help. Thank you to others with your help.