Olympus MCON-P01 Converter Help

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chuckrock, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Chuckrock

Chuckrock Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 19, 2011
    Hi I am a relative newbie to photography and would like to do some macro pics, I have an EPL1 with 14-42mm kit lens and the 40-150mm

I am looking for a relatively cheap solution for this and was looking at my options and narrowed it down to 2 converters for the 40-150mm

Olympus MCON-P01 & Raynox DCR-250

I dont really know too much about either and quality on that lens

Any help and examples would be greatly appreiciated

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I use various achromat close-up lenses, but the Marumi DHG Achromat Macro 200 (+5) diopters and the Marumi DHG Achromat Macro 330 (+3) diopters are among the best available and quit affordable. These are dual element lenses, and unlike the cheap single element diopter lenses, these are very sharp out to the corners. These two diopter lenses work exceptionally well with the mZuiko 40-150 & mZuiko 14-150 zooms.
    You can find them on e-bay and Amazon. Here's the link to their web-site.

Here's something from one of my previous posts you may find helpful.

For those who don't know how the diopter system for close-up lenses works, here is an example. Divide 1 meter by the diopter to give the distance from subject to front of lens when the lens is set to infinity.
    There are 25.4mm in 1 inch. You can also stack where a +2 and +3 = a +5.

+1 diopter = 1/1 = 1 meter from subject to front of lens......(39.37")
    +2 diopter = 1/2 = 500mm from subject to front of lens.......(19.69")
    +3 diopter = 1/3 = 333mm from subject to front of lens.......(13.11")
    +4 diopter = 1/4 = 250mm from subject to front of lens.......(9.84")
    +5 diopter = 1/5 = 200mm from subject to front of lens.......(7.87")
    Hope someone finds this useful.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Marumi Achromats are high quality close-up lenses (made in Japan) available directly from Amazon. I've used Marumi Achromat 200 with Oly 14-150mm and 40-150mm and it works great. One thing to keep in mind, close-up lenses dramatically reduce DoF so shooting at very small apertures with flash is pretty much the way it works. The pictures below were shot at f16 w/external flash. There is no diffraction (even at f22) at such close distances so no worry. Close-up lenses work best with telephoto zooms allowing good working distance. I also tried Raynox 250 but didn't have much success with it. It vignettes heavily with Oly 14-150 and can't AF well with Oly 40-150mm, the working distance and DoF was also an issue for me. Raynox 250 may be more suitable for shorter zooms or primes.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Chuckrock

Chuckrock Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks for the quick feedback guys the advice was taken on board

think i will go with the Marumi 200 it looks the best option at similar price to the others

Great examples also

Thanks again
  5. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    i'm trying to learning something new.

do i have this correct , +5 lets you get closer to the work than +1 ?a +5 is probally more expensive than a +1 ? works better with a bigger zoom? thanks
  6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Yes, the higher the diopter number, the closer your lens will be to the subject.

I've found the prices for the achromats to be the same regardless of the diopter power, as long as they're from the same manufacturer. Not all manufacturer's make a full line of diopter lenses. I use achromats from Leica, Marumi and Nikon, the Leica's are very expensive, Nikon's are discontinued, and the Marumi's are excellent quality and not too expensive.

Don't know what you call a bigger zoom, but for a 300mm equiv., you may want to consider a +2 or +3, if want to get real close then the +5. The higher the diopter, the harder it is to hand-hold
    • Like Like x 1