Olympus MC-20 Teleconverter

Gidget

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leah Hallett
Maybe the atmospheric conditions were different this time, and it needed larger contrasting areas to lock onto?
The day I couldn't get the HHHR to work with the bare 300mm - I was trying to get an early moon with light clouds. So you're right, that would have definitely made a difference. I was still bummed.

Here's a hummer from as close as I could fit in the frame. ISO 3200 here, the background was 'splotchy' after noise reduction so I selected the background and darkened it - it still looks splotchy. I cut a tip of his head off and added background at the top. This is from the .jpg file.

I've had no time - helping my 84yo mom move from her house of 50 years....nuff said.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's the original if you want to play with it :) I think my in-camera profile is set to muted- matted? I can't remember.

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
The day I couldn't get the HHHR to work with the bare 300mm - I was trying to get an early moon with light clouds. So you're right, that would have definitely made a difference. I was still bummed.

Here's a hummer from as close as I could fit in the frame. ISO 3200 here, the background was 'splotchy' after noise reduction so I selected the background and darkened it - it still looks splotchy. I cut a tip of his head off and added background at the top. This is from the .jpg file.

I've had no time - helping my 84yo mom move from her house of 50 years....nuff said.

View attachment 761729

Here's the original if you want to play with it :) I think my in-camera profile is set to muted- matted? I can't remember.

View attachment 761732
Great pictures Gidget and I hope the move goes well and your mum settles nicely - must be an incredible upheaval at that age !

Real Name
Loren

View attachment 761729

View attachment 761732
It looks good to me. I’ll play with it this weekend, though I doubt I could do anything more than what you already did.

Good luck with the move!

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
I didn't go to eagle chasing drive today, but went to Mirror lake in Uintah mountain for a short walk (2 miles) around the lake with our dog. There are meadows, and lots of wild flowers. Altitude of the place is 10,000 ft so the flowers are a little different. Temperature is around 65F, and very comfortable as compared to near 100F in Salt Lake City. Didn't think I would take any pictures, but I had EM1.2+40-150F2.8 in my bag with MC-20, so I just walked around the lake with the camera. Here's some wild flowers (one with a bee).
Mirror lake lakeshore walk 1 by Masaaki, on Flickr
Mirror lake lakeshore walk 2 by Masaaki, on Flickr
Mirror lake lakeshore walk 3 by Masaaki, on Flickr
Mirror lake lakeshore walk 4 by Masaaki, on Flickr

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
And here are chipmunk and some birds.
Mirror lake lakeshore walk 5 by Masaaki, on Flickr
Mirror lake lakeshore walk 6 by Masaaki, on Flickr
Mirror lake lakeshore walk 7 by Masaaki, on Flickr
Mirror lake lakeshore walk 8 by Masaaki, on Flickr
Mirror lake lakeshore walk 9 by Masaaki, on Flickr
All shots were taken while walking with a dog, so I didn't have time to adjust this and that, and some of them are just BIF setup (SS 1/2500), but I like the portability of m43!

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
In my own mind, I’m more intrigued by the mc20 for the 40-150 than for the 300. I could see carrying this combo for wildlife along with the 300 / mc-14. With a 12-100 in the bag, I’d feel pretty well covered. Out to 100 mm at f/4 and out to 420 mm at a constant f/5.6 - and that’s just the worst case.

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
In my own mind, I’m more intrigued by the mc20 for the 40-150 than for the 300. I could see carrying this combo for wildlife along with the 300 / mc-14. With a 12-100 in the bag, I’d feel pretty well covered. Out to 100 mm at f/4 and out to 420 mm at a constant f/5.6 - and that’s just the worst case.
I agree. 300mmF4 with MC-20 is so tricky to use (because of high ISO), but 40-150F2.8 with MC-20 was relatively easy. 600mm equivalent FOV with the size of this lens/TC combo is amazing.

Real Name
Loren
I’m definitely not getting as sharp shots as some of you are with the MC-20 and 300 Pro. In fact, I’d say they’re pretty poor. Interestingly, they look much better with the 40-150, whereas the 40-150 was barely usable with the MC-14. I’m thinking about sending my 300 Pro to Olympus to see if there is anything wrong with it.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Just think what the MC20 might be like with the F4.5 150-400mm lens to come. I think it would be asking a lot really & more suitable to long exposures on a tripod etc.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
The 150-400 is supposed to have a teleconverter built in. I doubt that it will be compatible with the MC14 or MC20.
Yes, it will have the 1.2 X TC built in, but Olympus has this in their MC20 Press Release.
This product can be attached to the M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm F4.0 IS PRO and the M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO which is currently in development.
This is the PDF Press Release. https://www.olympus.com.au/Olympus/media/PressReleases/PR1906002-MC-20.pdf

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I did not know that.

As good as the MC20 appears to be, the 150-400 with it attached would be a pretty dark lens.
That's my thought too & why I have been playing with the Pro 40-150 with DTC on & at F5.6 to get the feel of the image framing & ISO with that aperture at 300mm while I'm waiting for my MC20 to arrive (in the next stock supply). I was trying my 75-300mm lens (F4.8-6.7) on some birds in the trees & it went up ISO 2000 & not looking all that great in detail so I hope the MC20 will serve me well when I need it, but in less light I may still use the MC14 (& hopefully with closer subjects). Whatever the result, at least the E-M1 II focusses faster now (with the 75-300 lens seeming much better than on the E-M1 Mk I) so I'm hoping the 40-150 & MC20 should be good.

Mike.K

New to Mu-43
This is a very bad thread. I was simply going to buy the Panasonic 100-400, but seeing the photo's here I am now having to consider the 2X with the 40-120 f2.8 I already own. The Panasonic gives me 100 mm more effective reach, the Olympus gives a little wider angle when fitted plus faster aperture at the long end. Anyone have a comparison between the lenses.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is a very bad thread. I was simply going to buy the Panasonic 100-400, but seeing the photo's here I am now having to consider the 2X with the 40-120 f2.8 I already own. The Panasonic gives me 100 mm more effective reach, the Olympus gives a little wider angle when fitted plus faster aperture at the long end. Anyone have a comparison between the lenses.
I cant speak for the 100-400 but I own the Panasonic 100-300 and Oly 40-150 pro. Take this with a grain of salt as I do not have good technique but I find the 100-300 sharper than the 40-150 with the TC 1.4 on it. But that may be due to the dual stabilization as well. But at shorter distances I prefer the 40-15o because it is faster.

From the images posted here and the cost of the 2x TC in Australia I would lean towards the 100-400. but if I was going to get the Oly 300 pro later I would lean towards the 2x TC.

The choices we have, too many good options and not enough cash.... for me anyway.

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
This past Thursday I had a meeting with our local Olympus rep, I feel SO COOL dropping names this way don't you know :whistling:, and one complaint I had was how long I was waiting for my TC-20. I got home Thursday night and found an email that my TC-20 would arrive this coming Tuesday, how amazing the influence I have, it couldn't have been coincidence... This morning I was actually out shooting with him for a bit, and got to try the 2.0 on his M1X with the 300f4. A couple of observations:
1. I was frankly amazed at how quickly it AF'd. We did not have the greatest light at the time, it did not feel appreciable slower than the 1.4. This was a huge surprise to me.
2. Just like any other "long focal length", finding your subject can be a challenge.
3. The ability to hand hold at 1200mm equivalent is simply amazing. Any small mistake in technique will be magnified.

One quick serious comment on my talk about the "Olympus rep". Kudos to Olympus, and to our local rep, for making themselves so accessible. While our local Nikon rep was quite good, I never had this kind access. That said, he would NOT tell me today any more about the 150-400 delivery or the price, darn it.

BobbyTan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I would suggest you send your 300 PRO lens along with your main camera, and have them service and recalibrate the lens and camera. Make use of your Olympus Pro Advantage free cleaning coupons, if you are a member. I did that and I am seeing a very significant improvement in the sharpness.

I’m definitely not getting as sharp shots as some of you are with the MC-20 and 300 Pro. In fact, I’d say they’re pretty poor. Interestingly, they look much better with the 40-150, whereas the 40-150 was barely usable with the MC-14. I’m thinking about sending my 300 Pro to Olympus to see if there is anything wrong with it.

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
YEAH!!!! Mine arrived yesterday, one day earlier than expected, eons after I wanted it :laugh:

First impression, really big box for such a small package. Second impression, I am still impressed at how quick the AF is when you have light to work with. Third impression, a very narrow angle of view when mounted on the 300. Now to take some pictures ....

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I got my MC20 today & this is with the 40-150 lens (I don't have the 300 F4 yet).
Resized full image of a Satin Bowerbird (possibly a juvenile male). It is ISO 2000 so a little grainy.
48437749201_76af8a03c7_b.jpg

K8029416-adj by Ross, on Flickr

And a small crop.
48437744096_885cd6df22_b.jpg

K8029416-scr by Ross, on Flickr

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
I gotta tell ya' Ross, you folks down under have got some of the STRANGEST animals and birds. That has to be the weirdest "front end" I've ever seen on a bird. Is that the key to it being possibly a "juvenile male"? We all know Juvenile Males do wear some pretty weird stuff ....

Nice shot, after just a couple of days I am quite liking mine. Hope to post one or two here later today.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom