Olympus MC-14 on Kipon Auto Focus AF Aadpter for Canon EF

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RenaudVL, Oct 10, 2017.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Hello,

The MC-14 teleconverter has a little contact point inside that prevent attaching certain lens to it.
    I went to my local camera store and tried the Metabones adapter on the MC-14 and they do could not connect.
    Any one has the Kipon version and try the connect it to a MC-14?

Thanks

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, with electronic adapters, there is a chance that even if everything fits, the camera and/or adapter may not cooperate; e.g. the AF might not work.

3. herpphotos

herpphotos Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2014
    From the reading I have done I think you would have to use a teleconverter in the mount you were converting from (example Canon EF) not the mount you are converting to (example M43).
    So for instance if I wanted to connect a Cannon 500 mm f4 lens to my E-M1 using the Kipon or Metabones Canon EF to M43 AF adapters, I would need to use a Canon teleconverter attached to the lens and the converter attached to the teleconverter and the body.
    In this order:
    body->mount converter->EF mount teleconverter->EF mount lens

I searched the internet a bit today and the only example I could see of someone trying even this was from 2015 and the info was for much older versions of the mount converters. Success varied from not working at all, to not showing aperture, to working in manual focus but showing aperture.
    Someone should try it though.

I don't have a Canon mount teleconverter of any brand or I would try this with my e-m1, kipon adapter and Sigma 100-400 or Sigma 150mm macro.
    I would try something like this:
    E-m1->Kipon AF adapter->Sigma 1.4x Teleconverter in EF mount->Sigma 100-400 in EF mount.

4. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Thanks,
    What I am looking for is can you attached the Kipon onto the MC-14?

5. herpphotos

herpphotos Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2014
    No you cannot mount the mc-14 to the kipon or metabones adapter for a couple of reasons but mainly because of how the lens element in the teleconverter sticks out of the teleconverter on the side that would mount into the Kipon / metabones mount adapter. That lens element is meant to go inside lenses that support use of the mc-14 and only a few actually are. Thus it is impossible to put them together and even if you put them together its not supported and probably wouldn't work at all. You would want to use a teleconverter in the mount that you are converting from. For instance in the case of a Sigma 100-400 or 150-600 canon mount lens you could use this teleconverter:
    Sigma 1.4x Teleconverter TC-1401 for Canon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIHBS2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_nG45zbKV0W0C9
    Or this
    Canon EF 1.4X III Telephoto Extender for Canon Super Telephoto Lenses https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040X4PUE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_DH45zb3AJMNWQ

Whether or not using a teleconverter on one of those lenses would allow autofocus to still work is unknown.

6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    There's also the Kenko 1.4x which lacks the protrusive elements, allowing you to play stupid games like mounting it to a 50mm or 85mm prime. Optically sometimes it works out, sometimes it becomes a horrible optical mess that would give you results to rival that new Leica "Holga//Vaseline Edition" lens.

I'll keep everyone updated on how well it works out, as I'm going to use mine to neutralize my Speedbooster out. It costs less than a Kipon or Metabones plain tube adapter with electronics for me.