olympus marketing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cederic, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    When do woman have time to take photos? They should be cooking and cleaning, right?

3. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Ah yes - marketing....

Looking back it seems that Olympus has tended to pitch the Pen series mostly at Housewives/Soccer Mom's who can fit a 'cool looking' camera in their purse. I watched a series of 'tutorials' (and I use the term loosely) recently online for the EPL3 I think it was, and they were truly cringe-worthy. Their target market was painfully obvious, and it wasn't photographers (and definitely not male ones).

If you click the link for the EP5, though - the 'serious' Pen, then wudda ya know - it's a dude. And a very hip and trendy fully bearded male model he is too (what is it with that look at the moment - while were talking marketing?).

Presumably Olympus' marketing department are pitching the Pen's at the young female fashion conscious because a: that's been their biggest market so far or b:they would like them to be their biggest market in the future? Not sure what that say's about Olympus going forward?
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Actually I think it's a pretty good idea! I see a lot of female photographers from east Asia using Pen bodies to shoot with. I guess Olympus is trying to translate that success in western markets, which for the most part hasn't been tapped.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Actually Olympus really wishes it was the 1970's and they had cameras flying off the dealers shelves as fast as they were during that period in time but alas it's not and their cameras are not selling as fast as then so they need to investigate new markets, or maybe attempt to cultivate a new one.

This is a direction and marketing technique that is quite common with camera advertising in Japan. Pentax used a similar ad for their Q series. Heck if the manufactures have tricked the guys into thinking that they need to run to the camera stores every time one or two new bells and whistles are added to a camera, then why not attempt to convince the female population to include a camera in their wardrobe updates. If it works then maybe they will offer them in many colors as did Pentax.

And while I do not know if women are only interested in the external esthetics, I seriously doubt that the class of women shown in that advertisement know who Ansel Adams, John Free or Henri Cartier Bresson are let alone have the desire to shoot in any other than Auto mode.

Here's one that Panasonic did trying to show that it is fashionable to include a GM-5 on your dates.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are you really feeling offended because one ad campaign is targeted towards a specific kind/gender of photographer? If they had show a picture of a man, should all women assume the camera is not for them?
  8. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Show a picture of a man? They'd have had to show only pictures of men, and talk only about the rugged knurling of the dial and how manly it was without mentioning anything else about the camera to be as overtly sexist as it is now.

I'm not offended, I'm totally bemused. I struggle to see the market segment they're targeting - are there really women out there that are willing to invest in a complex system for the image quality and other benefits it gives them, but only want to read about how it matches their awesome fashion sense?

Which part of "Every detail – the attractive grip, the placement of the dials – keeps me looking fabulous." isn't a kick in the teeth to feminists?

But my favourite bit is "My creativity isn’t just limited to my fashion savviness. So it’s great that the PEN E-PL7 also lets me express myself to the full using any one of 14 Art Filters and 9 Art Effects."

Leaving aside the crimes against fashion in the pictures, using built-in art filters is expressing their target audience's creativity to the full? Really? You think there's actually a market of fashion savvy people out there, proud of their creativity, looking for a decent camera and yet with no creative expression beyond using out-of-camera effects?

So no, I'm not offended. I know a lot of women that would be.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    I can understand that approach. There's a definite market segment, they're comprehensively demonstrating how they can meet its needs, and they're covering a broader range of features and capabilities too.

Oddly though it makes the UK site even worse, by demonstrating the explicit targeting taking place - or maybe Olympus is right, and women in the UK really are that shallow.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    150467_large. They are doing it all wrong.They should do like Smith and Wesson and make pink cameras.
  11. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    They already have:

• Like Like x 2
  12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Maybe Olympus screwed up and ran the ad on the wrong site. Seems more of a fit for the American market than anywhere else. :)
  13. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Absolutely! I know lots of people who aren't very creative but do like to look good. Choosing filters or presets is all they need to express their creativity to it's fullest.

I'm not saying they couldn't develop their creativity more fully, it just isn't what they want to do with their time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Actually Olympus had kept up at least in the North American market. Maybe the European market is similar. Women make up the bulk of the DSLR and mirrorless sales in North America if you believe it or not. Probably you won't. Women tend to be photographers, not camera operators like the boys we sometimes are? In fact in all meetup groups I've been to, women despise men discussing about how big their sensors are, how long their zoom lens can reach etc... They are more interested in discussing the style of photography, the genre and techniques and gears usually discussed when need be. Women also feel that the cameras they buy today are designed for men who are obsessed about technology and specifications and bulk like size does matter; at least in the mind of men. This is a patriarchal society where men get the voice and women stand back getting what's left over. Olympus and other companies have been trying to market their wares for years towards women with women style cameras, weapons and women specific bicycles. This is simply addressing the market that had been sorely been ignored because again we are living in a patriarchal society where men dominate decisions. In fact, this forum probably has more men ratio than women.

You seemed to have a dated disposition towards women and their tastes. I suggest you go out more and smell the roses. It's healthier for your dominating male perspective to have a balanced men female perspective.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  15. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    Try buying an iron. Nowadays they make male versions in stronger colours that cost far more and have go-faster stripes. Good marketing.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona

Here is a photo of the Pentax Q camera that was offered in many color combinations. Some of those colors were obviously chosen to appeal to women.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
  18. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country

.... or this one by Charter Arms .... 642466_ts.
  19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
  20. JakeNW

JakeNW New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2015
    My wife just rolled her eyes big time when I showed her the ad. First sentences: Shopping. Gold. Gems. Elegance. High quality. Addicted. Followed up with suggesting that being slim and white is elegant and desirable. Wow. More like 50s, not 70s haha. Clearly it's Olympus that has the dated disposition on women and their tastes.