1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus Marketing Sucks Big-time! Here's proof...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BarefootPilgrim, Sep 20, 2011.

1. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Olympus Gives Away 1000 E-PM1s... :eek::eek:

... and almost nobody knows about it! :doh:

Yes, it's true. And this giveaway is proof positive that Olympus's marketing sucks big-time. Why? because it happened Monday and almost nobody's heard about it yet! I learned it from a Peruvian web site -- Photoactualidad, run by Arturo Fukuda -- but the giveaway happened in the US.

Here's the full scoop at Olympus's official promotion site for the event...

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    How do I get me one of them???

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I never heard about this either, and I'm already cross-linked with GetOlympus on Twitter and Facebook (now Flickr too). Kirk Tuck said he registered for this, but I can't see any place to register. I only see that you have to keep track of where they are and when they come to your city get the hints and come see them?

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I'm guessing there's about 1000 people who know about it, and maybe that's how they planned it. They wanted the pen to go to the average everyday individual, not us the enthusiast who would get one anyway. Trying to show that you give this cam to anyone and they can use it, and do great things with it. I'd love to have had the chance for one, but my luck I'd have got stuck with the purple one. the site has some great shots, and I'm guessing none of them came from pros, which means there's hope for me still.lol

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Well Ned, you and me are SOL as I'm guessing Toronto was their only Canadian stop, cause even Olympus knows that Toronto is the center of the world, and the only important place in Canada. Lol us westerners are just an after thought.

6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Contact Olympus ASAP, I'd say - although the likelyhood is that you've already missed the boat. I'd guess it's aimed at potential new converts rather than established existing users like us anyway.

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
  8. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Purple's not too bad. I'd even have a brown one if it was free! :biggrin:

9. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Olympus "US Marketing" :tongue: Even I still quite don't know what a "PEN" is and get confused having to describe to folks. And these P&S folks are the ones they are trying to appeal to?

EP-LMAO-2
    EPL FTL! WTF?
    EP-LOL-1?

"Lite"
    "Mini"
    "Pen"

How hard is that?

After reading things like "Bling your camera" and "Decorative lens rings", I have to :rofl: everytime I see "Olympus" and "marketing" in the same sentence. (US division of course)

10. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    "CANADIAN RESIDENTS: Before a Canadian resident wins any prize, that person must correctly answer, within a 5 minute time period, a mathematical skill-testing question (without the benefit of any calculating devices) as adminstered, supervised and warranted by Sponsor or its representatives before prize will be awarded, as per Canadian law."

I guess that excludes most Canadians then........ :tongue:

Guys, that was a joke - honest! :rofl:

11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Those fools.

Oh well..maybe there will be a flood of them on ebay and craigslist. :p

12. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Why would there be such a bizarre clause for Canadian eligibility requirements ?

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    To keep stupid people from winning things. I guess.... xP

14. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

in reply to your comments regarding Toronto.......you are absolutely wrong. Try to get accessories in Toronto....impossible.....I have been buying from a Camera Store in Calgary that ships free and good service. I only have to pick up the phone and they respond. On the other hand I have gone to the Main Henrys store and ordered lens hoods, waited ages for them and was only able to get one. I am not criticizing Henrys but Oly....their marketing really does suck!!

15. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hey, John, I didn't even hear about this promotion and I think that is what is making this thread.....lack of Marketing by Olympus....I would suggest to you that the UK is a bigger supporter of Olympus than anywhere else. The US prefers for the most part can ikon ......and we being the poor cousins get left out in the cold. All Olympus stuff comes from the US, not stock on hand in Canada!!

Keep the faith John and perhaps we will meet again!!

16. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Legal requirement for giveaways in Canada I believe. It's usually a simple math question that requires you to know order of operations

ie. 7 + 3 x 2 - 5

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    42, right?

18. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    So If I'm understanding this correctly, the 1000 people have already won and are using the photos from the PM1s they already won to win another prize? That is all I can assume since I see nowhere to actually sign up or enter. If that is true, what a crock of SH!@.

Pentax is pretty craptastic at marketing too - the best they could do when the K7 came out was a road tour through major US cities - they did give away a K7 at every stop, which I thought was actually not that bad, I got a chance to attend (anyone could, you just had to know about it...which essentially limits it to members of forum like this), someone else won, cool beans.

This sounds like a hook up for Oly's buddies. Kinda of a more WTF were they thinking, and the kind of thing that would make me think twice about buying their stuff again, ever.

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, but I'm pretty sure Grinch was being sarcastic about Toronto being the center of Canada. :wink: