Olympus Market Share on the Rise in Japan

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    According to the May 2011 data from BCN Ranking, which collects point of sale data to assess Japanese market share, Olympus claimed 38.0% of mirrorless interchangeable lens camera market share in Japan, while Sony had 32.0% share and Panasonic 30.0%.

Of note, the numbers for the year 2010 were 29.1% for Olympus, 32.2% for Sony, and 38.7% for Panasonic, indicating improved Olympus share at the expense of Panasonic share over that interval. Meanwhile, Sony's share of the CSC market remained stable.

Top 10 rankings for May 2011 amongst interchangeable lens cameras in Japan:

Source: BCN Ranking (Google translation) via Mirrorless Rumors
  2. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    This is so unusual to see Hoya Kr, I had to google it :smile: It's Pentax K-r, of course.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Now we're talking! :) Those sales figures are looking good.
  4. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Interesting, according to that chart, I think it says olympus is 3rd in japan, ahead of panny and sony.

also shows, while there maybe 24mp cameras lying around, 12mp isn't far off the popular number.

would be interesting to see these numbers world wide for all cameras not just interchangeable lens cameras.
  5. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    What I find most interesting is that of all the mirror-less cameras on the list none have a built-in EVF. Seems like so many here complain about the lack of built-in EVF for any new Olympus PEN model that is announced or leaked. Just shows that what sells isn't always what the enthusiast crowd wants to see.

6. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Interesting observation. I agree with the sentiment in general about enthusiasts v.s. general public.

I should however, point out this is the Japanese market only and their wants are actually quite different than some of the other markets like the USA. Japan is notorious for small devices because of the lack of space in every day life. When looking at the GH v.s. GF's, the size may out weight the EVF in terms of desires. It doesn't mean they don't want one, they might, they just care about size more.

It's hopeful news though that Olympus isn't market ignorant and may come out of the next set of camera company culls in one piece.
  7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    In the west, weight and size are perceived to equal quality when the reality is that it simply makes products heavy and large. The Japanese know better.