Olympus management found 'rotten'

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Spuff, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    So the cost of the cover-up was $200 million dollars... (initial investment losses accounted for $1.5 billion, and with the costs of managing the scheme ballooned to $1.7 billion).

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    As I said from the beginning... as ugly as this is, it won't prevent me from buying an Olympus camera, lens or accessories in the future. I think once the management housecleaning is completed, the recovery can begin.

3. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    If they will ever recover.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I understand your remark. But I'm in the financial news business... and all I can say is that, as in baseball and football, it ain't over until it's over and the fat lady sings. I think if Olympus wastes no time in implementing recommended changes, the market is likely to respond positively. People thought it was the end of GM and Chrysler and many were (with startling bitterness and rancor) calling for liquidation. But today, both firms are healthy and profitable after enduring embarrassing and painful bankruptcies.

The market, for better or for worse, seems to have no memory. If Olympus cleans up its act quickly and investors see an opportunity to make money, they won't care about what happened yesterday, last week, last month or last year. Remember: The stock market is a forward-looking mechanism. A company's stock price reflects what the market thinks about the operation's future, not what has already happened. What helps is the fact that the Olympus's basic business is quite good. No guarantees, of course. It can go badly just as easily. But fans of Olympus products have reason to be hopeful.

• Like Like x 2
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think and hope they can recover. The big thing hanging over Olympus right now is being delisted of the stock exchange. That would be bad! If they weather that recovery is possible.