1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus MAL-1 vs fl-600r for Macro

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by dino1891, Feb 3, 2013.

1. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    My first time with macro photography. I was wondering which would be a better setup for taking pictures of teeth? Any dentists out there?

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There are special lenses designed for this use.

In the past, I recall seeing the yashical Dental eye II. The lens has a low profile built in ring light. You should be able to find something similar to adapt to the micro 4/3 system.

Given regularly available equipment, I would consider a macro lens and macro ring light. A regular compact flash will be difficult to use on teeth.... probably end up blinding the patient with the flash. MAL-1 might work ok.... it is certainly compact enough but I found its light output kinda low.

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If you are looking for professional results, you may want to consider the mZuiko 60mm macro with the FR-2 adapter ring and either the SRF-11 ring flash or the STF-22 twin flash. These are designed to work with your E-M5.

4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Maybe check out the Nanoha macro lens for m4/3. It has a built in led light, and is for really close detail stuff. I honestly don't know much about it, but it might be a decent option. I would agree that the 60mm with proper ring flash, or a twin flash system would be pretty good as well.

5. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    I'm no expert on this. Here's some suggestions. Polaroid makes an inexpensive LED ring light that might make a good setup w/ either the 45mm or 60mm lens.

Sigma made a good 105mm macro in Oly E mount that would provide longer working distance. They show up on ebay. The Polaroid light is probably bright enough to use w/ this lens.

I recall that for 35mm film, the 200mm Nikor macro was standard for dental photos where longer working distances are useful.

I own the macro arm light. It's not bright enough IMHO.

Best