Olympus...make a M43 with a shutter speed dial.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lovemyoly, May 21, 2013.

1. lovemyoly

lovemyoly Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    The reason I bought into the Fuji x system was partly due to the small size. But if the Fuji did not have the shutter speed dial on top, i would not have been interested.

Olympus make a m43 mini with a shutter dial on top. This is one of the things I hate on my m43. Having to do so much button pushing to adjust it.
  2. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Shut off dial lock, then in A it sets the aperture. In S it sets the shutter speed. No buttons. You can define different functions. I put exposure compensation for Program position. Plenty of customization is available--read your manual.

Doesn't look like a Leica, but it works very well. I almost bought the Fuji myself because the controls were so familiar to this old 35mm guy, but in time I learned to appreciate the versatility of the Oly layout.

And it doesn't miss focus like the Fuji does. A lot.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If you mean a graduated shutter wheel it's not going to happen...Panasonic tried it with the DMC-L1, it was too advanced for most users, and Panasonic gave up on it.
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

??!it would b nice but how many buttons do u need press? In OMD n other Olympus cameras, u can customise. It's just one click then
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    My OMD requires no button pushing. In 'A' mode, the front dial does ap, in 'S' mode, the front dial does ss, so my front dial always controls my main focus. Nice.

In both these modes, EV adjustment is on the rear dial.

In M mode, I have ap to the front dial, and ss on rear. Its as useable as the Fuji, but it's a different approach.
  6. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    I must admit that whilst it's easy to adjust SS on the OMD I do look wistfully at the top shutter speed dials on certain cameras.

The ability to see the shutter speed from the top without looking at the rear screen appeals to me, probably because that's how I learnt to shoot many years ago rather than because it offers any real practical benefit.
  7. Qoo

Qoo New to Mu-43

Feb 12, 2013
    Guess is down to individual preference.

I prefer to have more buttons/dials for other functions.
  8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    The OM-D does just that...gives you a SS dial and an aperture dial in M mode and an SS and exposure compensation in S mode...*AND* the OM-D doesn't have the exposure compensation dial if you don't want it...that was a pretty big negative for me on the Fuji...I never use Exp. Comp. on any camera that'll allow me full control (M), so I'd have never used that massive dial on a Fuji...I wish it was a "blank" programmable dial instead (like the OM-D).
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The top of the camera is more cumbersome than the finger/thumb dials in my opinion. Nobody did it better than Olympus with the shutter speed ring at the base of the lens mount. This was an OM thing, so they should put a digital version of it in their OM-D. ;) Shifting more control to the lens makes sense. When you shoot legacy lenses this shift is already apparent and pleasant... not to mention nostalgic.

I guess that's one thing I agree with Samsung on, though I never liked the rest of their design.
  10. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    That is one thing that the xz-1 has that I wish was incorporated into the om-d, the dial around the lens mount. It would be great to have access to aperture, shutter speed, and ISO at the same time, and the lens mount seems like the perfect place for the third wheel. I would prefer that to the 2x2 dials of the ep5 if given a choice.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD
  11. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    And I dream about a dedicated ISO wheel on top off the camera. So many times I forget to reset iso before going outdoors
  12. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    This is the layout I was talking about that makes me nostalgic for the top SS wheel (and no I don't expect Olympus to do anything like this).

13. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    And as I said Panasonic did something similar with the DMC-L1, but I guess they got too many complaints from those who don't know photography.

When I had a film camera with all the controls such as that camera I'd have shutter speed and aperture set before even looking through the viewfinder and seeing what the meter told me...although an earlier camera I used even had a mechanical meter indicator on top of the camera so I could judge my settings against what the camera thought.
  14. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Oops missed that (just googled the model as I didn't know it). In 2006-07 I was totally oblivious of anything non Nikon (which is probably why I didn't recognize your reference).
  15. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I just tried a Fuji X-E1 with top shutter dial and aperture on the lens barrel. Result: Nostalgia 1 - Useability 0. I'm probably in a minority but I much prefer the aperture and shutter controls to be under my thumb. The X-E1 went back and I'm looking forward to the pre-ordered E-P5 coming to play with my E-P3.
  16. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I'm with you! I shot film for a long time before switching to digital, and I still shoot film for the fun of it.

I absolutely LOVE the digital setup of changing the SS/aperture with the thumb and index finger.

I have a Canon S100, which has the thumb wheel for SS and the around-the-lens dial for aperture and while I love that I'm able to control both parameters on a small camera, I'm not a huge fan of the setup...like you said...in theory it's nice, in practice I think DSLRs (and the OM-D) have it figured out!

Final random thought: I was very, very, very close to getting a Sony NEX-6, which has two thumb-controlled dials...even that's not the same...index finger/thumb is the way to go for me!