1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus Magazine

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Sammyboy, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Anyone interested in Olympus cameras and recorders, you can subscribe for the free Olympus Magazine. There is also an app at the Apple store. Currently there are 7 issues out that's available to download or read on your computer as well as the app store for mobile units.
    Olympus Magazine

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Cool. Thanks.

Gordon

3. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    thanks!

4. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Thanks for sharing :)

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    No Android app yet :frown:. The site can be opened on a Nexus 7 tablet if Flash has been installed, otherwise one must download the magazine to a computer.

The link goes to the U.K. Olympus site, which doesn't recognize the credentials of U.S. Olympus site users, so it's necessary to register independently on the U.K. site, but it takes only a couple of minutes to do.

EDIT: I downloaded the zip files to my laptop, unzipped, opened the magazine, and used the 'print' option to print the magazine to a PDF file. I then used Airdroid on my Nexus 7 to transfer the magazine from my laptop to my Nexus. Opened the magazine using the Android version of Adobe Reader, works like a charm except that not all of the interview text printed, so the interviews cannot be read. See follow up below.

EDIT FOLLOW UP: Parts of the file do not print out to PDF format; it may be an issue with the "interactive" component of the Yudu reader. I have requested that Olympus consider creating an Android app to go along with their Apple app. In the interim it the solution seems to be to install Flash Player and Firefox on the Nexus tablet.

EDIT FOLLOW UP FOLLOW UP: I installed Flash Player and FireFox and the magazines do load and the "interactive" component works. On the 7" tablet screen is NOT as sharp as using the Android magazine app for other magazines, but it does work. Using the "download" option on the Android doesn't allow one to read the magazine - it's an .exe file and the operating system can't launch it. Currently I've not figured out a resolution to that issue, but the mags do load when a WiFi connection is available.

EDIT FOLLOW UP FOLLOW UP FOLLOW UP Setting the FireFox options to "single page" viewing makes a significant difference in the way the magazines display on the Nexus 7.

Instructions for adding Flash to Android device here (no need to "root" the Nexus): How to Install Flash on the Nexus 7 and Other Jelly Bean Devices

(Boy, the things I'll do to read a free magazine...:biggrin:)

Sammy, thanks for the link!

Regards,

Jim

6. WRay

WRay Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Thanks. Got it!

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Spoken like a true IT pro. :wink: I'll do the same, except mine will go on my Kindle Fire HD. :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

8. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    thanks ALOT
    i love the magazines!!!

9. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Thanks for this...
    Rich

10. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I'm in Germany and tried to register: the site said I already had an account! I registered my camera and lenses with Olympus in Germany, so it appears the customer database is EU-wide. Just sign in.

11. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Margaret, you may have to go with an alternative browser, such as Dolphin - as I recall Kindle Silk doesn't support Flash.

Lemme know how it works out. I should probably just root my Nexus, but I'm too lazy to reinstall everything :rolleyes:.

Regards,

Jim

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^^^
    Yes, unfortunately Silk doesn't support Flash. I'd previously installed Dolphin and Flash, and although it worked, it caused other problems on the Kindle. I'd planned to do the download, print to PDF and transfer to Kindle. :smile:

Still, it might just be easier to read the magazines on my 11" laptop....

I've rooted devices previously, but I find it's simpler to just live with the limits of various devices. I got the Fire HD simply for reading Kindle content that's not available via the Kindle app on other Android devices, PDFs, etc. Otherwise, I'd definitely have purchased the Nexus. And my Galaxy S3 is a bit small for reading (aging eyes). :biggrin:

13. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I can only find 4 issues!

14. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Tom!

Attached is a screenshot of the website (down and dirty, but quick :biggrin:). There are six issues available on the bottom, the seventh is the larger "New" issue with the yellow 'click' button.

HTH

Regards,

Jim

Attached Files:

15. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Android App on the way

I contacted Olympus about an Android App for viewing the magazine since the current work around methods are klutzy.

The reply from Olympus:

"It should be live from the next issue or the one after".

Mark Thackara
    Press Office
    Olympus Consumer Products

:2thumbs:

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Woo hoo! Thx for checking into that! :smile:

--
    Sent from my Kindle Fire HD. Please pardon my brevity!

17. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    may 's issue is out now and one of my photo is chosen in reader's gallery section(@12-13. pages) :yahoo:

18. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks, already got it when I registered my equipment.

Great to see Olympus supporting their usesr by creating this.

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    thanks.....looks cool!

20. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    That's really cool! Thanks for sharing!