Olympus made me do it ......

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by colonelpurple, Apr 9, 2015.

1. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    So I am a prime shooter with FF cameras. Mostly at the moment I have fallen in love with film again and my Leica M7 is my constant companion.

I determined that I wanted a zoom system, to be able to use for photographing functions, family events and also in lower light situations then I dare with ISO 400 film, even with my f1.2 Voigtlander.

So I had looked at Olympus with 12-40, Sony FE with 24-70, Fuji X with 16-55 and 17-135, Canon FF with 24-70, Nikon APS-c with Sigma 18-35. After much careful deliberation including extensive review reading, pouring over specs inc my favourite, MTAs, trying out in shops, I went to my favourite candy dealer (cameras, drugs, etc.) to get the Fuji X-t1 with 18-135. Sharp in the centre throught the range, good low light performance, reasonable weight.

Whilst I was waiting I spotted the new E-M5 II in silver. Hmm I said to myself, that looks nice. I asked to see it with, hmmm that tasty looking metal thing, a silver Oly 75mm.

My goodness, what a devastatingly beautiful camera and lens combination. Really Jewelry like, really reminded me of Leica lenses and Omega watches. Just stunning.

Build quality is really superb, and the buttons and dials are solidly designed, unlike the cheap feeling of many "back of the camera" controls these days.

So after checking out the system thoroughly (e.g. The focus is excellent) I bought the damn thing, figuring, 150mm so what, I can zoom with my feet :D

Anyhow after more stable reflection I ordered a silver 17mm f1.8 and will probably get the silver 12mm and 25mm as well.

Haven't been so excited about a new camera for ages.

I fully blame Olympus for the production of beautiful items producing uncontrollable reactions ;) :eek: :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Peejay

Peejay Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Paris, France
    Couldn't agree more!

3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    If you still are after a zoom, the 12-40mm is excellent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. colonelpurple

Feb 7, 2013
    thanks
    I figured I might get it at some point. I am hoping that the performance is good enough for me to have M4/3s as digital and film only.

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I'm sorry to be the one telling you this but I think you should check out the Panasonic Leica Nocticron 42.5/1.2 too :)

Anyway all the 2.8 zooms from Panasonic or Olympus are really great lenses.

6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Sure, they are both good. I'd had both at one stage and I prefer the 12-40mm.

7. colonelpurple

Feb 7, 2013
    Yes I considered it. Almost bought it.
    However the way I thought was:
    1. I don't need the OSS
    2. If I am going for a telephoto prime I might as well get the longest available (that's a small size) as I will tend to shoot mostly with 35mm (the 17mm) anyway and having 150mm gives it a dual use as both portrait and also tele event work
    3. It doesn't come in silver :)

rgds

8. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Share some stuff here in tvis thread. Always interesting to see a ff prime shooters view and handling of m43. And yes. Em5 Mk2 is a beautie

• Like Like x 1
  9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Damn, I wont get my commission from Panasonic! :(

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1