Olympus - made by Sanyo?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by QualityBuiltIn, Apr 18, 2011.

1. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    The things you just don't expect. I found out yesterday the reason there is no such thing as a decent Nikon compact; They are built on behalf of Nikon by Sanyo.

Sadly it turns out that many Olympus cameras are built by Sanyo too.

There is software in the Linux world that lets you poke around inside any camera with Sanyo firmware - just Google it and you'll find compatibility with various Nikon and Olympus models. I can't find a very up to date version though.

I'm very tempted by the new XZ-1 but wonder if any of you know if that is a genuine Olympus product through and through?

2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Nope. Probably has a Panasonic sensor and a Sanyo lithium battery, plus some Hoya glass. Oh, and I suspect the hot-shoe is ISO's and tripod thread Kodak :D

3. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Interesting Sanyo is a subsidiary of Panasonic. What a tangled web we weave. lol

4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    There is nothing new here. I had a Sanyo video camera that was also produced as a Nikon, Pentax and Fisher. Anyway people like Nikon and Olympus generally don't manufacture electronics, they are normally outsourced and then either assembled in Nikon/Olympus factories or firms outsourced to do the work. It doesn't mean there is a quality problem and there is absolutley nothing wrong with Sanyo products.

While Sanyo don't produce much in the way of cameras under their own brand name (and what they do is lower end stuff), they have been producing high-end product since the early days of digital photography.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I believe Panasonic bought out Sanyo a couple years ago.

6. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Yeah just look at any other industry like cars, computers, etc. No single company is big enough and good enough to produce any complex product from start to finish in a reasonable manner. With pretty much any electronics you'll be very hard pressed to name anything built solely by the labeled company on the front. I can't think of a single thing off hand.

Like someone else said, sanyo is now panasonic anyways.

7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Minolta made the first Leica SLR.

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The Hassleblad Xpan was made by Fujifilm. Olympus Underwater cases are made by Sea and Sea. Apple computers are made in China.

Unfortunately, nothing new here.

Gordon

9. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    All that aside, to me it's quality control. Yes your camera may be made by a company than manufactures toaster ovens and industrial equipment, but if it is well designed and produced in a high quality manner with quality components, I will not care as much about who 'really' made it.

In my opinion, look at the basic compact point and shoot cameras out there and tell me those aren't made by the same manufacturer with different interfaces and logos. I have no proof that this is so, but it seems likely to me.

10. I wonder if Ferrari owners ever used to care all that much about the little pieces of Fiat in their cars?

11. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I believe Panasonic paid about $9 billion for Sanyo 2 years or so ago and Sanyo was founded by the brother-in-law of Panasonic's founder. All in the family.

12. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest