Olympus m43 PRO

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Sammyboy, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Anyone care to guess or share their thoughts on the up-coming m43 PRO model from Olympus?
    Anyone think it my be named something other "PEN"?
    Could it be a weather sealed digital OM-2 with a built in commander flash, EFV and hot shoe?
    How about interchangeable grips like the E-P3 & OM-4T?
    How about an A/C adapter and external DC power supply?
    Maybe a dedicated port for an external stereo microphone and headphones?
    Do you think a 100mm macro lens and extension tubes with electric contacts will be released with the PRO body?
    Anyone think it will be available this time next year?
    I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how well this system is going to expand.:biggrin:
  2. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Something similar in design to an E300 or Panasonic L1 (or, dare I say a Pen F?) with a built in EVF at or near the left corner of the body would be nice. A central EVF hump is just too dslr for my tastes. Factory fitted leatherette would be cool too and avoid the need for a grip. I tend to associate the bolt-on grip with the cheaper OM20/OMG which I think was the first OM body to get one.

In short, if it looked like this with built in evf I'd be over the moon. I won't hold my breath.

It's way past time Olympus released a native macro lens too given how good their OM and 4/3s models were although that's not a big issue for me.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I just want an EP3 version of a Nex 7 (in terms of features and updated sensor) but with EP3 like controls and ergonomics. If it has that flip screen, EVF, and a slightly bumped sensor (I'd probably be OK with the same sensor, but as long as they're AT it...), I'm all over it. I don't even really care about the flash. Anything short of this and I probably won't see any reason to move from the EPL3. And they'll probably leave OUT the flip screen, in which case I'll take a pass.

4. Marcula

Marcula Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Surrey, UK
    Olympus announce their Pro-level m4/3 camera with an all new Image Stabilisation system - "We believe this is the perfect tool for high-end users to extract the most from their abilities - and are proud to introduce the PEN-IS" :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Let's hope they get it right and don't make a cock-up!
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Excuse my simple tastes, but an E-P3 + Panny style articulated screen and a top plate mounted second control wheel. I suspect a "pro" body isn't for me.
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Jeez, you're really going to hate the miniature satellite dish.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    I'd settle for E-P3 with flip screen and a sensor with more DR, even though I think the E-P3 is a pretty ugly mutha..... capabilities and ergonomics first, aesthetics second!

Exactly how do you define 'Pro' anyway, or does it just mean better than we already have?
  9. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    The more I think about it, the less likely I think a PRO version is in the works or being considered. Maybe a refresh of the m43 dSLR line perhaps but they've remained pretty steadfast in not including a viewfinder in the PEN series. The niche market for it .. wouldn't exactly sell enough to justify it's addition in the line for limited upgrades to the the EP3 (weather proofing, EVF..)
  10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

About the size of the E-P3 no larger than Leica M with extra attention to comfort (over style and nostalgia). Style has lower value points in the professional series. An evolved Panny L1 is a good starting point. Weatherproofing. Simplified UI menus with Shutter, aperture, AF mode, and ISO controlled via physical dials or easy to manipulate switches. Power button MUST be replaced with a slider switch rather than the current soft switch as there is no way to tactilely feel whether or not the camera is on. High quality built-in EVF is an absolute must. The EVF attachments now wouldn't survive... easily broken, easily lost, easily falls off the hotshoe, takes up the hotshoe. Faster power up cycle. Faster fps and card write times if they are to have a hope of a chance at sports photographers. Even better AF performance (touch screen focus has little value in this area). Especially when tracking subjects. (Canon 1d has 54+ focus points) The olympus and Panny tracking AF modes might be widely accepted by sports photogs BUT it won't be effective if it can't keep up (which E-PL1 doesn't.. not even close). I see a need for improved metering as well. Spot meter with 8 multi-spot memory (a la Canon 1d) for example. Lighting (flashes) support should also be improved. ISO performance improvements are a given.

I'm not so sure a flip screen is all that important to a pro-line. But things are always changing.. I can see it as a weak point for equipment failure.

They also need to put into place a service channel. I've heard on a number of occasions that many large media professionals have agreements with the big two to quickly replace failed equipment... sometimes in the order of hours.

The issue I see is that the "zoom" lens selection of micro 4/3 is still not positioned to attract professionals. If they were really snazzy, they'd figure out a way to make the Olympus 43 lenses (they are good performing but expensive) perform just as good on this pro body as they did on their SLR line. This will allow the system to bridge this issue temporarily by leveraging pro-lenses in that line.

IMO, they have a long way to go to be competitive in the professional arena. You have to go further than just making the body physically more durable... most of the features in the current cameras aren't that attractive once the market changes to professionals. The range of features needed are much narrower BUT they must be completely reliable and well designed.

Olympus needs to understand that top high end professional lines almost always end up in a break even or no profit (or even loss) in terms of profitability in the short term. If they deliver the system hindered by the notion of making a sizable profit, the system will be compromised and not deliver what the professional need. Remember, most professionals are already invested heavily into one system or another in the order of thousands of not tens-of-thousands. It takes a significant value proposition to convince them to divest and reinvest into a different system. Consumers buy with their hearts but Professionals need to work within the confines of a business.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah, that too, but so much to feel the position of the switch. I like the way you can leave a camera in the "on" position and let it automatically switch itself off, then come back 2 minutes, 2 hours, 2 days, 2 weeks, etc later, half press the shutter button, and have the camera instantly snap back to life. No pesky on/off switch required.
  12. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    If I were Olympus seeking a professional niche, I'd reach out to National Geographic and the AP for consultation and possibly co-branding a pro level travel and journalism camera. It seems to me that travel and photojournalism are the biggest professions that would benefit from m4/3's chief advantage (size).
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Naw. It'll probably be called the E-PP1 (Pen Pro). lol.
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, like the E-System DSLRs did...
  15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I think the problem with a PRO model is that there just aren't enough buyers. Wedding photographers are going to want razor thin DOF, and the sensor can't provide that.
  16. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    :tongue: They really need to quit it with that!

I know my Oly micros well and every once and awhile I still get confused. Imagine the newbs entering the fray.

Market them as:

It's getting more convoluted than the Ford Mustang line.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'd like:
    ep3 styling plus...
    Built in x100 like vf(higher res tho)
    Any kind of flip screen
    Improved dr/high iso sensor
    Mebbe another programmable button
    Manual dials, ala x100 would be nice
    Nex focus peaking + the zoomed in center with non zoomed border thing :)

Really, so long as it's not slr body styled, I'm sure ill lust it;)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think there are a lot more pro photographers than just wedding photographers. :rolleyes:

I'm a commercial photographer, and the thing I struggle with the most in my day-to-day life is NOT getting enough DOF. Even with studio lights blasting away with lenses stopped down... on a Four-Thirds sensor. I always struggle to gain enough DOF to keep my entire products in focus, or my fashion models.
  19. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

As Markb said - built-in EVF in the left corner of the camera. But I'd want it to tilt up like the current add-on EVF, so I can hold the camera looking down into it, which is much more natural than mashing the camera into the side of your face.

A programmable "MyMenu" feature that gives me one-click access to 6 parameters/functions of my choosing. Canon has had this for years. You can dispose of a lot of external controls with this.

Dedicated exposure comp dial.

Ditch the pop-up flash to make room for a bigger battery that gives me 400 shots.

Eliminate the "scenes" and Art Filters and give me separate controls for the components of grain, dynamic range, color processing, local contrast, etc., that I can combine into my own custom modes. I'd like to be able to save at least 6 of these with names of my choosing.

Design the camera around the assumption that someone is going to be holding it their hand for an entire day at a time. If that means compromising the PEN design heritage or making the camera slightly bulkier, so be it.

Just my two cents. :smile:
  20. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What I had in mind was exactly what the LX3/LX5 have. on/off slider right near to manipulate by right hand without repositioning it.

From what I can conclude from personal and via chatting with customers...

1) When using two or more cameras (prime shooters especially), they are finding out that the camera is being awoken from sleep while in bag or when not in use. Sometimes to the point that a dead camera takes them by surprise when they raise it for use.
    2) Waking the camera is slightly expensive in terms of time. It takes a moment or two to be enter ready state. So on one hand, you want the sleep timer long enough so that it doesn't go to sleep too soon.
    3) A long sleep time for someone who is not constantly firing frames would wear down battery life unnecessary. Think of a journalist (not pure photog) when they fire a few frames.. talk.. notes.. fire a few more. So on this hand, you want the sleep time short to conserve battery power.
    4) So determining a balance between 2 and 3 is a bit of annoying. I surmise that for these smaller cameras, it would be especially annoying because the batteries are so small. It would be especially annoying if they don't design the sleep mode in such that it doesn't even trickle a charge from battery.
    5) Professionals are control freaks...

That's just my two cents.