olympus m4/3 camera more popular

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by kitaro9202, Jun 6, 2013.

1. kitaro9202

kitaro9202 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2013
    from what i see olympus m4/3 camera seem to be more popular than panasonic

why do you olympus camera is more popular among the user?:confused:

for me i get panasonic camera as it is within my budget:laugh1:

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    If true, here are a few thoughts:

- A lot of users still prefer JPEGs, and Olympus has a reputation for very good JPEG colors out of camera.

- IBIS

- The times I've used Panasonic cameras (and this is just me) I had to struggle mightily with its WB. Probably just me, but I didn't get that struggle with any Oly camera.

- OM-D

3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    for me, it's whatever fits the budget and can still do the important things I care about so I can spend the money on other things :drinks:

4. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Funny thing, amongst the working pro photographers I do know as well as the videographers I know they all know about or own Panasonic G and GH series cameras but the Olympus cameras are barely on their radar (although one asked me about the OM-D the other day).

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    That's because pros nearly all use viewfinders, and the Micro 4/3 cameras that they would actually buy have them

6. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I have both, Panasonic G3 and an Oly EPL2 and love them both. The G3 for shooting merchandise for Etsy, Ebay and video - and the EPL2 to park my legacy glass on.

7. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I think it might depend on the age of the purchaser. Olympus is a known camera brand and has been for decades. Panasonic is an electronics brand and really only got into cameras in the digital age. I'd posit this may also be the reason that Sony Alphas didn't grab a lot of folks in the early days of dSLRs, because it wasn't clear that all the glass/camera bits were/are Minolta. The Sony brand simply isn't one that folks associated with cameras in the film days. Ditto Panasonic.

8. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I personal went with Oly because the reviews were good and I like the design better. Smaller than the GH3, different form factor than my previous dslr and the retro look got me:)

Also, I was attracted more to Oly primes too.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

9. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I have a GF5 and it is sweet. My E PL5 beats up on it. Better IS and more pixels. I love the GH2 which is my second M-43 camera.

10. davidolarte

davidolarte Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2013
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Juan Olarte
  11. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    The look of a camera influenced my purchase decision. I really like the retro look of the OM-D. People notice my OM-D and ask me if I'm shooting film. I also like the look of the new Pen E-P5.

12. dmk005

dmk005 Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    Would you mind sharing why the G3 is better than the PEN for merchandise shots? I would have expected they be equal as long as you use the same glass. Pardon my ignorance if there is something obvious...

D A V E

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app