1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus M1 versus Panasonic GX7

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by lakota, Sep 12, 2013.

1. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    ireland
    Roger
    Trying to make my mind up what to order, know there is a big price different between the two but is there a big difference spec wise, been looking at some reviews and one said the M1 did not shoot Raw don't believe this.

can you give me your views for and against

I currently have the M5 and Olympus 60mm macro Olympus 45mm and Panasonic 12-35mm and Panasonic 100-300mm

your thoughts please I shoot dragonflies and birds so need something that is going to have good tracking and focus

thanks

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Wait until both cameras are available so you can handle them, read multiple reviews from various sources and see many samples of the images each produce. Waiting a couple of months extra to buy a new camera isn't really that big a deal.

Fred

• Like Like x 2
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Never buy something based on a spec sheet. Ever. Since none of the mainstream editing programs include RAW converters for either one of the cameras, all reviews out there are only preliminary. What you really want to wait for is an experienced nature photographer, who shoots similar subjects to yourself, to post a user review of one or both of these cameras. Based on the cost of these cameras, it may be worthwhile to rent them for a few days.

• Like Like x 3
  4. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Agreed! I'll be picking up the GX7, but my decision was based on size and intangibles (I still miss my old GX1!), not necessarily on performance. The best way to see if a camera fits is to try it out.

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Thank you. There are so many posts asking "What is the best tool?" without saying how the tool is to be used.

I'll echo the advice to wait. There will be a lot of reviews and maybe you'll even be able to test both bodies for tracking and focus before you buy. In a year or two you won't even remember that you waited a couple of months before buying.

In contrast, I have a GX7 on order and expect to buy a second to replace my pair of G1s. Most of my photography is tourist stuff. I like the G1s' ergonomics, external controls, etc. but don't like the poor low-light performance and the almost-useless manual focus assist. And I bought into M43 primarily to get an ILC in a small size.

So either body would give me what I'm looking for. But the M1 has a awkward shape and is wider, taller, thicker, and heavier than the GX7. It has some nifty features, but not enough to justify its awkwardness or its price. I know all of this before either one ships. Whether the M1 is marginally better by one subtle metric or another is not of concern to me. So I pulled the trigger.

But, again in your case, the things that are important to you cannot be divined from the spec sheets and pictures of the cameras.

• Like Like x 2
  6. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    ireland
    Roger
    M1

The thing with the M1 is if you pre order before the end of this month you get the battery grip free and in my case also the four thirds converter as i have a previous e camera but you are right I need to hold and try them which is ok in the case of the GX7 but would have to wait until late october to try m1 or later so I will lose out on the freebies?

I always shoot in raw and use either CS6 or Lightroom to process images

thanks

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Well, the wrong tool is no bargain at any price.

That said, if you are looking for an excuse to buy the M1, you have one.

8. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    ireland
    Roger
    m1 better axis stabilisation

it seems the m1 has better image stabilisation and also works with all lens is or not, both camera's seem to have things going for them, might end up selling my canon gear and getting both?

9. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

If I am not mistaken the GX7 has on sensor IS.

10. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    This. Except, I picked the M1 instead of the GX7 for exactly the same reasoning. IQ - excellent (Frankly true for most cameras today at most price points.) Features - overwhelmingly robust for both. Ergonomics - vastly different.

I suspect that all of my future camera choices will be driven by ergonomics first and minor features second. Sure, there are differences between the 1 and the 7, but I think that most people will rarely notice the obscure/fringe stuff. Some people will, but most won't.

Dragonflies? Heck - they are more about the lens and the photographer than the camera. I've taken more than a few stunning shots with my G2.

11. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    For anybody that values a better EVF, Get the E-M1.

I just handled both today and I must say the EVF on the GX7 is tiny... smaller than the E-M5

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

12. Faceinthecrowd

Faceinthecrowd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Gx1 or Gx7?

13. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Oh GX7. It's tiny... I found it worst than G6, E-M5, E-M1.

This is just my opinion though

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Weird. That completely contradicts the spec of 1.4X magnification - considerably above the 1.15X of the E-M5.

15. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    No I mean the actual size is small. It might be 1.4 magnification but the size is small. Its too rectangle.

16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Most of the "reviews" on the web say the EVF on the GX7 is just fine. But obviously opinions differ, as do individual's eyesight and expectations. That's why I think it's foolish to decide on a camera based on specs and what other people say. You really need to handle them yourself, or be prepared to return them if you find out you're not happy.

But these two cameras are so different it shouldn't be hard to figure out which better fits your needs and usage patterns. The EM-1 is significantly larger and heavier, but likely offers better ergonomics, a better EVF, 5-way IBIS, better battery life, and weatherproofing. And, of course, decent AF with 4/3 lenses. How important are those things to you?

The GX7 is more compact, lighter, offers a tilting EVF, 2-way IBIS that Luminous Landscape says isn't far off of the EM-5's IBIS, and much better video specs. How much do those things matter to you?

Do you have prior experience with Oly or Panasonic? If you come from Panasonic (or Nikon, or Canon), Oly's menus may drive you crazy. If you're already comfortable with Oly's approach, that won't be an issue.

How the ergos of either work for you you'll never know without handling them, but other than using the same size sensor and accepting the same m43 lenses, these cameras have little in common.

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Agreed. As technology products mature, they level out in terms of performance and major features.

Out of curiosity, what do you see as the major ergonomic advantages of the M1 over the GX7? Most of my photography is travel-related, so size was a big deal for me. Both to make the camera easier to pack and to make it more inconspicuous. The two seem to be similar in having a good handgrip. Beyond that, I didn't study the knobology all that much other than to see that the things I want easily available are mostly there.

18. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Easy:

It comes down Can you afford it.. Are u ok with size as its a bit larger.. And if video isn't your key reason for getting a camera and photos secondary then its a no brainer - EM1 all the way.

Video and smaller form factor: gx7. Ie 24p, 60p, 70 bit rate

Tracking af ie dual phase, 5axis, better evf, weather sealed, IQ probably pretty close but prob raw better etc.

19. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    With my G2 I abandond neck straps and only use a wrist strap. I have carried my camera in my hand for mulit-hour hikes by just curling my fingers slightly on the grip. The grip on the GX7 is not nearly large enough for me to do that. I've held the GX7 and it didn't work for me (and I have small hands).

20. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    ireland
    Roger
    haven't been able to have either camera in my hands, I have small hands so I think the m1, not interested in video, the 5 axis is better and it has weather sealing think the new focus will be better and tracking which is what let the m5 down, olympus are offering a free battery pack and you get a free case and battery with the gx7, the batteries on the m5 which I have are the same as the m1 so i think for me its going to be the m1 the only downside seems to be the big price for the m1, appreciate all the feedback still think i will wait until I can feel them both for handling etc

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terakopian/sets/72157635476408572/