Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 not working

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ihamaki, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Ihamaki

Ihamaki New to Mu-43

May 28, 2014
    Finland
    Timo Ihamaki
    I bought an unused Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 just few days ago. When buying that I attached the lens to my E-M1 to take sample photos and everything was fine. Now when I had the place to use it, the lens refused to work. :mad::mad::mad: The Oly E-M1 shows that the lens would in manual focus mode, but no focusing can be done and the camera doesn't respond to anything. When I replace my 12-40/2.8 Pro to the body everything works fine again. Could I have some setting wrong in my camera or is there a contact pin problem with the lens (it is of much cheaper quality)? Any ideas I could/should check before sending that to Oly service?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Is the lens communicating at all? The aperture should update if the lens is connected, otherwise it will display "--.--" Also if you zoom, the live view should display the focal length changing in real time.

3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Sound like a bad contact. Try cleaning both contacts, from the camera and the lens.

4. Ihamaki

Ihamaki New to Mu-43

May 28, 2014
    Finland
    Timo Ihamaki
    As far as I remember, there is no communication at all.

5. Ihamaki

Ihamaki New to Mu-43

May 28, 2014
    Finland
    Timo Ihamaki
    As far as I remember, there is no communication at all. Even the Live View shows just an unchanging image, zooming or manual focusing has no effect on the visible (non)image, just a blurry something.

6. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    As said above check that the contacts on the back of the lens are clean and un damaged.

Paul

7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    As a final check on whether the camera is communicating, drop down to the firmware menu on your camera and see what it says.

8. Ihamaki

Ihamaki New to Mu-43

May 28, 2014
    Finland
    Timo Ihamaki
    Ok, contacts cleaned but no effect on behavior. Firmware menu doesn't show anything for the lens, only camera FW ver. 1.4 as it should. I didn't pay much for the lens, so getting that fixed at Olympus service is most likely going to cost more... :frown: