Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 not working

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ihamaki, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Ihamaki

Ihamaki New to Mu-43

May 28, 2014
    Finland
    Timo Ihamaki
    I bought an unused Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 just few days ago. When buying that I attached the lens to my E-M1 to take sample photos and everything was fine. Now when I had the place to use it, the lens refused to work. :mad: :mad: :mad:  The Oly E-M1 shows that the lens would in manual focus mode, but no focusing can be done and the camera doesn't respond to anything. When I replace my 12-40/2.8 Pro to the body everything works fine again. Could I have some setting wrong in my camera or is there a contact pin problem with the lens (it is of much cheaper quality)? Any ideas I could/should check before sending that to Oly service?

2. Is the lens communicating at all? The aperture should update if the lens is connected, otherwise it will display "--.--" Also if you zoom, the live view should display the focal length changing in real time.

3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Sound like a bad contact. Try cleaning both contacts, from the camera and the lens.

4. Ihamaki

Ihamaki New to Mu-43

May 28, 2014
    Finland
    Timo Ihamaki
    As far as I remember, there is no communication at all.

5. Ihamaki

Ihamaki New to Mu-43

May 28, 2014
    Finland
    Timo Ihamaki
    As far as I remember, there is no communication at all. Even the Live View shows just an unchanging image, zooming or manual focusing has no effect on the visible (non)image, just a blurry something.

6. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    As said above check that the contacts on the back of the lens are clean and un damaged.

Paul

7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    As a final check on whether the camera is communicating, drop down to the firmware menu on your camera and see what it says.

8. Ihamaki

Ihamaki New to Mu-43

May 28, 2014
    Finland
    Timo Ihamaki
    Ok, contacts cleaned but no effect on behavior. Firmware menu doesn't show anything for the lens, only camera FW ver. 1.4 as it should. I didn't pay much for the lens, so getting that fixed at Olympus service is most likely going to cost more... :frown:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.