1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm f/4 PRO Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by thercman, Sep 15, 2014.

1. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    I am eagerly awaiting the release of this lens. Anyone else? What do you guys believe the retail price will be for this? Maybe $1499?

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Just guessing, but I'd bet it will be way more than the 40-150 + teleconverter.
    $2500 or higher.
    Maybe look at pricing on the 4/3 long glass for a ball park.

3. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    i'm thinking around $3000. F4 will lower the price still held by (supposedly remarkable) 4/3 300mm 2.8.

4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    2-2.5k id guess

5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I say $2,000 tops. Canon 300mm f/4 is only $1500, not sure they can go much higher in price.

6. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    You can't compare pricing on a new lens with an old design. When Canon replaces their lens it will cost a lot more too.

7. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    What do you guys think regarding usability? I think it is needed in this format.

8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    That's why I said $2,000. Olympus is trying really hard to catch up with the big two in performance and to get a larger market share. To do that they have to offer a product that is as good if not a little better at the same or lower price. Their price on the 40-150 is right in line with a Canon 70-200 ($800cheaper if you compare it to the IS version), by your theory it should have been closer to if not more than the IS version.

There is just way a small company can hope to gain market share by offering a lens at a much higher price unless it really is so good everyone must have one.

9. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

The Nikon 300mm F4 AF-S is under $1500 as well (and yes it's been around since 2000) but the problem is if the Olympus 300mm F4 is much more expensive than the big 2 competitors options then it is unlikely to be a sales success for Olympus.

10. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

If it gets beyond $2k, I won't be able to buy it new. It's pretty much the final lens I want in my arsenal (after the 40-150 F2.8) and will have me properly invested in m43, and is the lens I want that will ensure I am fully in the m43 boat.

Here's to hoping it's under US$2k...

Z...

11. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    No one will be buying an FF or APSC camera w/ a 300mm F4 instead of the new Oly.

IMHO, given the 2x crop factor, these are the wrong comparisons. Seems to me a better comp would be the new Canon 400mm DO USM II - -$6899! On the new 7d MkII it'll be 640mm @ f4 while the Oly will be 600mm EqFL but will weigh about half the DO. Of course the Canon has in lens IS & the Oly doesn't. And unless the Mk II lens is a bunch better than the widely disappointing DO Mk I, the Oly will likely out IQ it. But I sure hope its lots less than $7K!!

FYI, I couldn't wait on the F4 so got a used ZD f2.8 - pretty amazing. If the goal of the new F4 is to be sharper still like they claim about the 40-150 f2.8 Pro, it will be lots sharper than anything out there.

12. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    The lens is a 300mm f/4.0 so has to be compared price wise to a 300mm f/4.0. Does not matter what the effective focal length is when put on a camera body. That 400mm may be an effective 640mm on a 7D but it is still a 400mm on a 5D. With the new Metabones adaptor that gives full aperture control and exif info for Canon lenses I could mount that 400mm on my E-M5 and while manual focus only it is an effective 800mm.

• Like Like x 2
  13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The price has nothing to do with what other brands cost. If the lenses were absolutely equal in all respects, regarding components etc and had been in production for the same amount of time, and had equal expected sales volumes, then, yes, you might expect a similar price. That is not the case.

14. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

From a production cost perspective you are totally correct but from a marketing perspective I have to disagree.

Any marketing executive who didn't consider the selling price of the products competing with the one he's selling would be out of a job in a short while.

Now of course the account executives might have something to say about that as well but to say that The price has nothing to do with what other brands cost is simply not true. Competitors prices are ALWAYS a factor in achievable selling prices.

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    If we were talking about Canon. Nikon, Sigma, Tamron I would agree. But Olympus (and Panasonic) is in a completely different space, they are not competing with that group. In a very rough way, they are working in a somewhat similar niche space to Leica, though not quite to that extreme. The question to ponder is whether the Olympus 300mm f4 in the same class as the Canon 300mm f4 or the Canon 300mm f2.8, or somewhere in-between? The Canon 300mm f4 currently costs (in Oz) just under $2000. The Canon 300mm f2.8 is just under $8000. If it's optically a better lens than the Canon 300mm f4, should it be priced at the same point just because it's has the same sounding specs? Where should it realistically sit in terms of price? Do you actually devalue it true qualities by pricing it near the Canon 300mm f4? This doesn't even take into account lower sales volumes, developments costs etc.

16. getoutandshoot

getoutandshoot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I am also keenly interested in this lens. I wouldn't be surprised if it's over $2K. I might rent it ASAP when it comes out. I have no doubt it will be sharp. Whether I buy it will depend largely on how well the continuous autofocus can keep up with birds in flight, compared to my excellent Nikon 300 f/4. But even if the autofocus is not quite equal to my Nikon, I'll have to factor in other considerations. One nice thing is, the Olympus without any teleconverter will give me roughly the same "reach" or framing as my Nikon with the 1.4X teleconverter. The Olympus rig will be lighter and easier to hand-hold, but I'll still use a monopod when I can. I will also have to consider how much AF performance may improve in the next generation Oly body, I wonder whether part of the delay in releasing the 300 f/4 has to do with Olympus trying to figure out how to get mirrorless continuous AF/tracking technology another step closer to Nikon/Canon SLR's. And related to that I wonder if they might introduce a new flagship body along with the new lens. We'll have to wait and see.
    --Dave

17. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    Renting it sounds like a great idea! Currently I am shooting all Olympus primes on my GH3 and I have been very impressed with them which is why I am excited about this lens. Although my prime interest right now is with video production for my podcast I really, really, enjoy taking stills, especially wildlife. This will be a great addition to the kit.

18. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    I suspect AF performance was a key criteria in developing the 300 and 40-150. The 40-150 has a new dual AF motor which is a first for Olympus. I suspect the 300 will have something similar and may take it even further. I hope the next large body takes into account these long telephotos from both an AF performance perspective and with body design.

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I wouldn't want Olympus to deviate too far from the E-M1 body design. My 4/3 lenses conform very well with the body, better than they ever did with the E-3/E-5, so I'd hate to lose that feel if I ever wanted to upgrade.

20. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    • Like Like x 4