1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus M. Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 Lens Coming in December? Price Close to $550?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    8177224151_5a1673c234_n.jpg

Rumor has it the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 will be shipping in December with a price tag around €550. Another recent "premium" Olympus lens, the M. Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, was introduced simultaneously for €949 in Europe and $899 in the United States, so I'm guessing that the new 17mm lens will come in close to the $550 mark in the US.

For those who didn't see the other thread, M43.eu posted full size images as well as RAW files for download from <strike>a production version of</strike> the new 17mm f/1.8 lens (link, translation).

The M43.eu writer was disappointed by the performance of the new Zuiko wide angle lens, but I came away from the samples with a positive impression and will look forward to buying if the price comes in under $600.

Sources:

• Like Like x 2
  2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I was hoping Olympus would be able to hit the $499 price point. But $550 is not bad, it could have been a lot worse.

I hope this lens will be good. Looking forward to real reviews.

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    M43.eu listed as a INITIAL PRODUCTION, is this not different than just a production run? I assume initial, to be a test run and not the final product so any assumptions made would be preemptive? Correct me if I'm mistaken.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I guess that's my mistake. I was reading the Google translation and thought it was a production version.

The US pricing hasn't been announced yet. 43 Rumors said 550 Euros and based on that they guessed $710 for US pricing. I'm guessing between $499 and $599.

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Amin, for the record I read the google translation as well, but it did say initial production...so being a translation it may be open to interpretation. Hence my comment of correct me if I'm mistaken, I know as much or less than you on this lens based on a few sentences and some very amateur shots. My take from amateur review and a translation is that initial may mean pre-production run, hopefully I'm right and the final product will be even better. Either way, I know I'll be adding this to my collection and finally not feel bad for ditching the 20.

So long winded as my explanation was, I'm sorry if my initial statement offended you in anyway, that was not my intent.

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Looks nice. I wonder what the dimensions of it are. I hope it's not too tall.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    At 500, I'm in. At more than that, I'm really struggling.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    No offense taken - I think your Google translation interpretation was better than mine :smile:.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Looks to be fairly compact: Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 17mm f/1.8 Hands-On Photos | PhotographyBLOG

When I use the E-PM2, even the PL25 starts to feel bulky, mostly because it's wider than the mount. The new 17/1.8 and the old 45/1.8 will make a great, compact two-lens combo.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I had guessed this would land at 699US, so seeing the 499-599 rumor is encouraging.

However, hoping those samples are pre-production runs. It seems rather lackluster (tho, the samples aren't great either).

11. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Even though I have the Voigtlander 17.5 I'm in too, it will be a great street kit with the EPL5

12. melonbread

melonbread Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Jannette
    Hmmm at $500 its not bad, at $700 its approaching the price of an X100 new in Australia...

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I honestly was hoping for a pancake version and closer to the 400 dollar price point.

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Just curious, why would someone pay that much for a lens that appears to be less sharp than the Panasonic 20mm? The FOV is not much different. I know folks complained about focus speed on the 20 - but is that worth $200 more fore a lens that is not as sharp wide open?
    :confused:

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    In some cases yes. The 20/1.7 is a real pain when you have moving subjects - to the point of missing shots frequently at social events and even sometimes when doing street photography.

Also, a lot of people are enamored of with 35mm EFL - probably because that's what a lot of classic rangefinders used. For them 40mm just isn't the same...

• Like Like x 1
  16. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    In bright sunlight it does well but in suboptimal/most indoor lighting conditions, this has been my wife's exact problems with this lens. I feel bad for her so I'll give her my 25/1.4 lens (we share lenses but because of work, we live separately and only see each other on weekends) -- that gives me the excuse to purchase this lens. :p