1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus m.ZD 12mm sansmirror review

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Jan 23, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
  2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    thanks for posting. interesting read.

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Pretty fair review.

Kinda damning about the lens hood though, and totally right he should ding Olympus about it.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That and the silver styling make me think that the intended audience for the lens isn't necessarily landscape photographers, like Hogan.

DH

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Reading this makes me wonder if it's worth the price, considering the flare, chromatic aberration and corner softness he describes. It sounds like a good, but not great, lens.

6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    That depends on what you use it for. Is it the best landscape lens? Not really. But looking at the f/2 aperture, I don't think that was it's intended primary goal design.

This is more of a streetshooter / indoor coverage lens. But can it still do really good landscape? I think so (but again, I don't own one!)

There is no doubt it is $100-$200 too much, especially the lack of lens hood. But there's been plenty of discussion about this lens so I'll leave it at that.

Back to the more relevant topic, which is Tom Hogan's review in particular. :smile:
    Some accuse him of being a Nikon fanboy but I think he's actually pretty fair to all brands. He may be a Nikon man at heart, but he's not a fanboy IMO.

7. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I paid $150 less than retail when they were first coming out for one that had been returned to my local camera shop.
    For what I paid I always thought it was fair for the quality of the lens and the images I get from it.
    At full retail, I would say it is a little steep, but still a very nice lens.